request: starship renderings

Development of artwork, requests, suggestions, samples, or if you have artwork to offer. Primarily for the artists.
Zanzibar
Psionic Snowflake

#16 Post by Zanzibar »

Zanzibar
Psionic Snowflake

#17 Post by Zanzibar »

Zanzibar
Psionic Snowflake

#18 Post by Zanzibar »

Hatti
Space Krill

#19 Post by Hatti »

Yeah, that's it, this time I love it (edit: the colony ship)

The mark 1,2, 4 are very good.
I think Mark 3 look more like a Mark 0 version.
The other ships ( Mark 1,2,4) looks bigger and more agressif then the Mark 3.

Regards,
Kunsch Alain
Last edited by Hatti on Sun Apr 04, 2004 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

miu
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#20 Post by miu »

I would love to see the textured versions :)
What bothers me a little those ships look small - impression given mainly by windowsize and the amount of detail. At least Mark3-4 should look huge >over 200m long, where rows windows are just tiny dot's etc and ships should have more small details (like hangar-bays, radar tower, shield generator...). Peek EVE-online ship designs for ideas how to get the ship look big.
Difference between a man and a gentleman is that a man does what he wants, a gentleman does what he should. - Albert Camus

Zanzibar
Psionic Snowflake

#21 Post by Zanzibar »

Well, first remember, these are just bare-bones models. Also remember the size you requested these to be rendered at. Since this is about the limit of what I can do, I suggest someone with 3d studio max download my source files... download DOGA... use DOGA to export to 3ds format, then go in and refine to a finished product. I'm just providing the basic shell. It's up to you guys to resize, texture, smooth out rough patches, and the like. :) (Why do you think I posted the source file?? I'm not that good at the finishing part).

Zanzibar
Psionic Snowflake

#22 Post by Zanzibar »

Hatti wrote: I think Mark 3 look more like a Mark 0 version.
I know this... but if you open the source file in DOGA and tilt the model on it's tail pipe, it looks EXACTLY like the icon (in sillouhette)... it's also why I added the bridge and tail fins, because I felt without them it just didn't look right.

Zanzibar
Psionic Snowflake

#23 Post by Zanzibar »

Here are renders of the ships in the iconic position.

Updated DOGA source

Note: a minor tweak to the mark 3 (trying to make it look more complex, without changing the iconic sillhoutte)
Last edited by Zanzibar on Tue Apr 06, 2004 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

#24 Post by utilae »

They look awesome. :wink:

Even without textures they look good.

Satyagraha
Space Kraken

#25 Post by Satyagraha »

what´s the poly count we´re aiming at for the final models?

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#26 Post by pd »

nobody can for sure say this at this stage... a rough guess from me is something about 200-300 polys for the large ships...maybe less.

depends a lot on the engine and amount of ships we will have.

Zanzibar
Psionic Snowflake

#27 Post by Zanzibar »

Satyagraha wrote:what´s the poly count we´re aiming at for the final models?
According to the first post in this thread: Poly count is not a factor for v0.2... also, I'm thinkin' a high-poly model could be used for the close ups of the ships (IE: the ship design screen, where the only thing with polys is the actual ship) and a low poly version can be used for space combat.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#28 Post by pd »

I'm thinkin' a high-poly model could be used for the close ups of the ships
i don't aggree to this. it would mean too much work. think about it: we will need many(i hope at least 8 different) ship types per race.
if we have 8 races(again, at least ;) this means 64 low poly ship models., which is ok. but making another 64 high poly models out of them, will be very hard. and it isn't needed if we have quality low poly ships and quality textures.

Zanzibar
Psionic Snowflake

#29 Post by Zanzibar »

*shrug* just my thought on the whole thing.

tzlaine
Programming Lead Emeritus

#30 Post by tzlaine »

pd wrote:
I'm thinkin' a high-poly model could be used for the close ups of the ships
i don't aggree to this. it would mean too much work. think about it: we will need many(i hope at least 8 different) ship types per race.
if we have 8 races(again, at least ;) this means 64 low poly ship models., which is ok. but making another 64 high poly models out of them, will be very hard. and it isn't needed if we have quality low poly ships and quality textures.
You can always have the computer retesselate our models down to a lower poly count, but you can't have it add detail. So you could just create the one set of high-poly ships to begin with. When I say "high-poly" I really mean "higher-poly". That is, I'm not trying to create a bunch of extra detail work for the graphics team to do, just pointing out that there's no such thing as too much detail in the original models you create.