request: starship renderings

Development of artwork, requests, suggestions, samples, or if you have artwork to offer. Primarily for the artists.
Obiwan
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#166 Post by Obiwan »

I take it those last two posts were ment to be tongue in cheek.

If not just read my last post again.

This Post was brought to you by the USS John C. Stennis (CVN 74) which is 332.85 meters long
[img]http://members.ozemail.com.au/~jonathan607/cvn74.gif[/img

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#167 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Obiwan wrote:I take it those last two posts were ment to be tongue in cheek.

If not just read my last post again.
What? Your The FO Guide to the Galaxy post? That was half-sarcastic... if you do make a guide, I seriously think it should be called that, but I don't expect you to.

Your previous post on this subject said:
This ship is ment to be maybe a klm long so I need to think how far i go with detail.
I prefer to add that sort of detail just to spacific areas for a spacific shot .
Or have two models , high detail and average.
Obviously I haven't tried it, but I think adding small details to specific spots on the ship won't help much, since you've already got so much "stuff" on there that smaller details might end up looking like "dirt". Also, how can you add more detail to that thing? It's already got got plenty. I'm suggesting ways to change the detail you have now, to give a better sense of scale, which your current details do not do well, imho.
This Post was brought to you by the USS John C. Stennis (CVN 74) which is 332.85 meters long
I'm not sure what I was supposed to take from that... The details on that ship are quite small and sparse, except at the control tower, where they're densely packed, but much smaller than the details in your model. (image size difference distorts the comparison, though)

Obiwan
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#168 Post by Obiwan »

misunderstanding and a mistake on my part. I was refering to the post where i said
I prefer to add that sort of detail just to spacific areas for a spacific shot .
In the big battle scene Im working on the thing looks really huge cause of the other stuff around it. At least to me it does anyway.

On the subject of 'Hitchhikers guide to the FO Galaxy'. I really do think its a good idea to call it that. Clearly gives the reader the idea that what is within shouldnt be taken as gospel.
Little bits of wit and intersting legit info could go into it without the developers having to worry that everthing is correct.

Like - a reported outbreak of Space Greebles with guiguibaah picture as the official 'hi-res' identification shot.

Sandlapper
Dyson Forest

#169 Post by Sandlapper »

My impression was the ship looked closer to a kilometer than 200 meters. The carrier shot reinforces that notion to me. I least twice as long, probaly about 750 meters.