request: starship renderings

Development of artwork, requests, suggestions, samples, or if you have artwork to offer. Primarily for the artists.
pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#46 Post by pd »

hmm, i can't import the model with 3d studio max r6.... could you try the other .dxf format? and maybe vrml too (simply test it with one model, no need to export all them)

Zanzibar
Psionic Snowflake

#47 Post by Zanzibar »

well, ok...

Base 1 polyline dxf

Base 1 VRML file

please tell me if any of these work, so I can change formats accordingly.

Zanzibar
Psionic Snowflake

#48 Post by Zanzibar »

Here are color-swapped images of my ships off the german fan site... just more eye-candy, I guess... (I just wanna know how they did them??) :)

Note to Xardas: You forgot the scout, dude!! (d'oh!!) :p

noelte
Juggernaut

#49 Post by noelte »

I like them, are them free to be used? Where can i find them?

Zanzibar
Psionic Snowflake

#50 Post by Zanzibar »

noelte wrote:I like them, are them free to be used? Where can i find them?
http://www.freeorion.de

Zanzibar
Psionic Snowflake

#51 Post by Zanzibar »

I'm having problems exporting Mark 1 - 4 to VRML (WRL) format. Seems like I used too many parts or something for DOGA to export (get stack overflow). If someone else wants to give it a go you can get DOGA L-2 here. Without further ado, I give you the colony and scout in VRML format.

colony 1

scout 1

Zanzibar
Psionic Snowflake

#52 Post by Zanzibar »

Does anyone have any software that can make the PNG images I have posted have a clear background??

guiguibaah
Creative Contributor

Photoshop

#53 Post by guiguibaah »

Dang - I could have - sorry, I had a trial version of photoshop but I let it expire, so I can't use it anymore. You'd have to select the specific colour, and change the black opacity to 0% (transparent).
There are three kinds of people in this world - those who can count, and those who can't.

drek
Designer Emeritus

Re: Photoshop

#54 Post by drek »

guiguibaah wrote:Dang - I could have - sorry, I had a trial version of photoshop but I let it expire, so I can't use it anymore. You'd have to select the specific colour, and change the black opacity to 0% (transparent).
not really. You are thinking of a .gif.

Photoshop could do it, but the results would be less than optimal unless a skilled user spent some time cleaning up the image.

A far better method would be to render the images in Studio max (or another 3d program that can save renders to pngs.)

Lyx
Space Kraken

#55 Post by Lyx »

for use -in- the game, drek is right - it would indeed be better to save them from the render-program straight into a format which supports alpha-channels.

The reason is because the images you're talking about are aliased against a black background - so making some colors transparent would: 1. not look optimal, and 2. only look good on a very dark background.
"You don't need to travel to far-away lands, just to find worlds which are inside of yourself."

leiavoia
Space Kraken

#56 Post by leiavoia »

1) For graphics, i will HIGHLY recommend The GIMP, especially now that version 2.0 is out. It's free and it's better than photoshop elements and a lot of the other ~$100 programs out there. It's worth your time to look up. It handles PNGs very nicely. I use it on a regular basis for all my game graphics and digital photography as well. Available for all OS's at the low low price of $0.00 (yeah, opensource software!)

http://www.gimp.org/

2) HOWEVER, for 3D renders, you need to render it with the alpha channel intact in the first place. I know that Blender will do this, so i'm sure other programs will too. If you render it to a background color with shadows and whatnot, trying to "clear the background" afterwards in a graphics editor is a very ugly and impractical solution. It's best to render the original image correctly onto a clear background than a colored one.

drek
Designer Emeritus

#57 Post by drek »

leiavoia wrote: 2) HOWEVER, for 3D renders, you need to render it with the alpha channel intact in the first place.....If you render it to a background color with shadows and whatnot, trying to "clear the background" afterwards in a graphics editor is a very ugly and impractical solution. It's best to render the original image correctly onto a clear background than a colored one.
ditto. A well stated explaination of the problem and solutions.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#58 Post by pd »

Does anyone have any software that can make the PNG images I have posted have a clear background??
max can render on a clear background... you simply need to save in a format that supports transparency... like png, tga, whatever

an alternative is using photoshop/gimp. in this case it's usefull to render out an alpha mask, which is simply a black and white image, where the background is black and the shape of your renderes object is white.

leiavoia
Space Kraken

#59 Post by leiavoia »

"Photoshop retouch" only works if you are rendering aliased images specifically intended as traditional color-keyed sprites. Othewise, for *nice* looking alpha-blended images, you'll have totally gouge the image to reclaim transparent areas, since the image was rendered onto a background and anti-aliased with that color, you'll get jaggies and off-color fringing that won't look good on anything BUT that color. Not a smart way to do it.

Eistoeter
Space Floater

#60 Post by Eistoeter »

@Zanzibar: Those images are very simple, i've just taken the pics you posted into photoshop, cut them out of the background, get our site background behind it and then take some layer effects ... i think it was luminosity and "drop shadow"

With photoshop you can very easy get a clean background for your pics, just take the magic wand tool with some tolerance (because you have a gradient in your background), maybe about tolerance 20, if not enough take more (but if too much tolerance the ships themselves will be selected too so be careful), click on the background and you got it selected and can brush it with only ONE color and then make it transparent or whatever

And we did not forget the scout but it's not implemented yet