request: starship renderings

Development of artwork, requests, suggestions, samples, or if you have artwork to offer. Primarily for the artists.
guiguibaah
Creative Contributor

Levioalo's right

#61 Post by guiguibaah »

See, what you could do is take the images, then use the magic wand to circle the entire ship. Copy it, add a new layer, paste. Then on the previous layer, blacken it all out, then delete same colour, make transparency to 100%

But what Leviola said is true, unless you do a lot of painstaking smoothing, you will get jaggies and that rather stinks in a way.

Speaking of which, there was a Moo3 modder, dang, I forget his name... Gyros? Anyhow, he took the old Moo3 UI, retouched the lighting and transparency effects, and made the UI a heck of a lot better (although a little TOO transparent for my tastes).

No it wasn't Gyros.. I'm thinking of Myros, he made 2 nice UI skins.

Gofur, that's it... Gofur's UI mod.

Will the pictures and current UI have some degree of transparency, or will everything be overlayed opaque?
There are three kinds of people in this world - those who can count, and those who can't.

Zanzibar
Psionic Snowflake

#62 Post by Zanzibar »

Well, I can get the GIMP to make the blue background transparent... that's actually the easy bit. Now, if I could just get it to save the file after I do that... hehe... I'm using GIMP for windows (latest version) on windows XP. Any advice on how to get it to save my work would be appreciated!! (I can't get it to save, it's annoying!)

drek
Designer Emeritus

#63 Post by drek »

As others have stated, the problem is more subtle than just erasing the blue background in a bitmap editor. The edge pixels of all your ships are blurred with the color blue due to antialiasing. It will be quite noticable against any background other than the color blue.

Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

#64 Post by Tyreth »

Precisely. You must apply the transparency before the final image is rendered, which is unfortunate.

Zanzibar
Psionic Snowflake

#65 Post by Zanzibar »

Well, I can't get DOGA to render on anything other then a blue background... Although with the background removed it does look like it's just the ship paint. I could color-swap like they did on the german website, if you'd like to suggest a color. :) Now about getting GIMP to save...

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#66 Post by pd »

export them all to VRMl, i'll render them on a transparent bg.

leiavoia
Space Kraken

#67 Post by leiavoia »

on GIMP: you should just be able to save a file as a PNG image. Works for me. Other than that, you'll have to give more details.

Zanzibar
Psionic Snowflake

#68 Post by Zanzibar »

pd wrote:export them all to VRMl, i'll render them on a transparent bg.
Can't seem to export mark 1 - 4 as vrml. I'll try once more, but don't think it's going to happen. The problem is probably one of the ship parts. Doesn't seem to want to export it.
leiavoia wrote:on GIMP: you should just be able to save a file as a PNG image. Works for me. Other than that, you'll have to give more details.
Step one, I open my saved png image with GIMP. Step two, I remove the blue background, making it transparent. Step three, I click file, save as... Tried overwriting the old file, and also tried saving as a different filename (both as png). Doesn't seem to work!! Again, I'm using windows XP home edition, with the most current updates from windows update. Every time I try and save with GIMP 2.0 I get this message in an msdos box:

(gimp-2.0.exe:3400): Gdk-WARNING **:gdkwindow-win32.c:1636: SetWindowLong failed: Access is denied.

So how do I allow access??

drek
Designer Emeritus

#69 Post by drek »

That's odd.

SetWindowLong a function from the gdk, which is the graphics library for xp and win95. You shouldn't be seeing an error message like that. It sounds like a bug in GIMP.

I went off to gimp.org to see if it's an bug that's been reported, but the site seems to be down.

If you have multiple accounts on your xp box, try logging in as admin and running gimp. Doubt it'll help, but it doesn't hurt to try.

leiavoia
Space Kraken

#70 Post by leiavoia »

sounds like a permissions problem. Unfortunately, i'm not well versed in Windows XP to be able to solve that problem.

Zanzibar
Psionic Snowflake

#71 Post by Zanzibar »

Can someone that has GIMP or other similar program remove the blue backgrounds from my blue PNG images (should be on page 4 or so...), and make it clear?? I'm just getting way too frustrated with not being able to save because of this stupid permission error.

Obiwan
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#72 Post by Obiwan »

Im not quite sure is this what your after.
In photoshop this has proper transparancy. Rendered in Poser 5

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~jonathan607/scout.zip

noelte
Juggernaut

#73 Post by noelte »

Obiwan wrote:Im not quite sure is this what your after.
In photoshop this has proper transparancy. Rendered in Poser 5

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~jonathan607/scout.zip
looks a little bit odd!?

Obiwan
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#74 Post by Obiwan »

What program are you viewing it with?
How do you mean odd?

noelte
Juggernaut

#75 Post by noelte »

I used irfanview and the model has vertical lines at the bottom. I think transparency isn't shown correctly by irfanview.(that doesn't matter)

It would be realy nice if you are able to redraw Zanzibar images with transparency as i want to use them at planet view.