0.3 graphics summary / sidepanel revision

Development of artwork, requests, suggestions, samples, or if you have artwork to offer. Primarily for the artists.
BreadMan
Space Squid

Re: 0.3 graphics summary

#31 Post by BreadMan »

miu wrote: -Adjusting the galaxymap, sidepanel & planetview UI's for 0.3 needs
buttons for research screen, sorting the planetbar, new focus buttons, lots of little things here and there see drek's post here (viewtopic.php?t=829).
Not sure exactly whats wrong with the current ones, but how about something like this?

A bit more visual, easier to see at a glance what your planets are doing. To do "balanced" just click on the graph, maybe have a little mouse-over like so:
Good afternoon! This is the Earth Alliance embassy diplomatic office. My name is Alex. How may I assist you?
HUMANS! BLAUGHRAN EMPIRE CLAIMS PLANET KREIGHTON! YOU GIVE RAY GUN SCIENCE OR BLAUGHRANS DESTROY HUMANS ON KREIGHTON!!!

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

#32 Post by utilae »

Cool. That looks cool. Er, what does it do. You alter the graph to make research do things.

Impaler
Creative Contributor

#33 Post by Impaler »

That looks nice BreadMan, but I think what they ment was a way to see the Planets Meter areas which now control the prodcution of resorces with Focus acting to add to the Meter.
Fear is the Mind Killer - Frank Herbert -Dune

miu
Graphics Lead Emeritus

update on planning.

#34 Post by miu »

Hi!
Planning for graphics team work for 0.3:

Pd is working currently textures for our new 3d-rotated planets,and is in direct contact with TZlaine about it. They should be ready in few weeks, while he is also finishing beautiful race-model that he's been working on a while.

I will post sketch for new sidepanel UI with new more scifistic theme in few days, (possibly WIP pictures shown on #freeorion). I have clear vision how I want the UI to look with easy customatibility, but possibly heavy graph-card load. We'll see how it works out.. I can say that blue is quite considered :)

After those textures pd will do the new nebulas and comet.
Soon first tech-pictures should hopefully apper for us to design, which shall engage all of the graph team. More discussion on them when design team sets to stone some of the fluff. I'll concentrate on UI and UI design document with heavy cooperation with the boards, and will do new animated stars - if no-one else is up to it, once design issues are done. (and if there is time, do some of those buldings :))
Drek, how's your progress with science and production mock-ups?

extra work available and other issues:
-More flags(thou we have handful of good ones.)
-If we want to polish for 0.3, near it's release, new ship-pictures could be done if specs for battle engine are any clearer.
-Graphical prepresention of planet condition and infrastructure level on planet-view - Obiwan, we'll see how we have time.
-Obiwan, how's are rest of the planetary backgrounds?
-Possibly new Icons for sitereport.
-extra polish, not in rush: - some automated battle animation while calculating battle results, encyclopedia, statistic screen, advisor stuff.
Difference between a man and a gentleman is that a man does what he wants, a gentleman does what he should. - Albert Camus

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#35 Post by pd »

possibly WIP pictures shown on #freeorion
hehe, great :)
btw, this applys for pretty much everything miu or me are creating, so get your ass in there!

i also want to add something to mius list:
- concept art for techs, ships, races whatever would be appreciated

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: update on planning.

#36 Post by Geoff the Medio »

miu wrote:After those textures pd will do the new nebulas and comet.
What's the plan for nebulae? I'm hoping for something that can give a better overall sense of galaxy structure, rather than the multicoloured fuzzy blobs randomly strewn across the map that we have now. This could be generated prodecurally, like mentioned here:

viewtopic.php?p=13861#13861

or could involve much larger and shapely static background images as mentioned here:

viewtopic.php?p=12083#12083

or something stolen from nasa like this:

http://heritage.stsci.edu/2004/25/NGC3949/p0425aa.jpg

That Guy
Dyson Forest

#37 Post by That Guy »

miu wrote:-Graphical prepresention of planet condition and infrastructure level on planet-view - Obiwan, we'll see how we have time.
If the engine supports self illuminosity maps, and about half the planet is dark or "nightside" in the UI, it is then a simple process of making illumination maps with more and more lights, based on how developed the planet is. It give a great effect, those who have played hegemonia know.

we can also have a sphere with a opacity map that is SLIGHTLY bigger than the planet, and have more of it invisible, except where we have a crater graphic. I can make an example if you want.
"The one perfect impossibility is perfection."

miu
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#38 Post by miu »

That guy, what that meant is that in full planetview, we would have render showing a city-landscape for different levels of infrastructure(or population whatever we choose) with corresponding pollution level. = you can see render of for example "new colony - clean" or "core-world - polluted". Possible to show different architechture styles here, eventually.
I know what you meant with those dark-side lights, and I like the idea, but what what the you meant by the rest, atmosphere-sphere?

Other issue that I came by when sketching sidepanel, I think I'm going to increase the size of it somewhat to make more room for all the data we have to show and safely assume that when 1.0 gets released 1024x768 is a resolution of the past and the default UI is designed for slightly larger resolution. (but so that the game is playable with 1024x768).
Difference between a man and a gentleman is that a man does what he wants, a gentleman does what he should. - Albert Camus

BreadMan
Space Squid

#39 Post by BreadMan »

miu wrote: new animated stars - if no-one else is up to it
<raises hand...>
-More flags(thou we have handful of good ones.)
What's the specifications for flags? Are they the same as MoO3 flags (cause I have a bunch)? Can we see one or two of the existing ones as examples?
-extra polish, not in rush: - some automated battle animation while calculating battle results
What's the frame budget on this, and how big a res? Is FMV a possibility?
Good afternoon! This is the Earth Alliance embassy diplomatic office. My name is Alex. How may I assist you?
HUMANS! BLAUGHRAN EMPIRE CLAIMS PLANET KREIGHTON! YOU GIVE RAY GUN SCIENCE OR BLAUGHRANS DESTROY HUMANS ON KREIGHTON!!!

Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

#40 Post by Tyreth »

miu wrote: and will do new animated stars - if no-one else is up to it
If we can find a way to do this with OpenGL that doesn't required animated sequences of still images that would be better.

miu
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#41 Post by miu »

There was discussion earlier how to do it, I think the method we agreed was using rotating layers and fade in and outs. (static centre ball& halo, streak layers that rotate to opposite directions to create shimmer-effect and big streak(s) that fade in and out) That should allow artist to create quite vivid stars that are calculated by graph card. Discussion here: viewtopic.php?t=830

That Guy
Dyson Forest

#42 Post by That Guy »

I never said anything about atmosphere spheres. I had the wrong idea, so the last part can be ignored.

As for making building, I can do some. Just tell me what buildings, and show me examples if I have to match architecture styles.
"The one perfect impossibility is perfection."

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#43 Post by Geoff the Medio »

miu wrote:...I think I'm going to increase the size of it somewhat to make more room for all the data we have to show and safely assume that when 1.0 gets released 1024x768 is a resolution of the past and the default UI is designed for slightly larger resolution. (but so that the game is playable with 1024x768).
I'd suggest sticking to 1024x768 being "standard". Laptops and other LCD screens don't come as large and cheap as CRTs, and a typical 15 inch LCD runs at 1024x768. Covering half the screen with the sidepanel, even if still "playable", is not a good plan, IMO.

If there's really that much information that "needs" to be displayed, the perhaps you/we should look at being a bit more selective about what really is needed. If there's so much that it's going to cover half the screen, then that's probably too much info... meaning it should be cut back, and the rest moved to a subscreen or planet view.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#44 Post by pd »

nobody was talking about covering half the screen. the new sidepanel ist just slightly more wide. i guess you won't even notice.

miu
Graphics Lead Emeritus

sneak peek

#45 Post by miu »

Thought to show you where I'm going currently with sidepanel mockup :)