splash v0.3

Development of artwork, requests, suggestions, samples, or if you have artwork to offer. Primarily for the artists.
noelte
Juggernaut

#16 Post by noelte »

Of cause FreeOrion :)
Press any key to continue or any other key to cancel.
Can COWs fly?

muxec
Space Kraken

#17 Post by muxec »

I guess that "Free Orion" Sounds more like "Liberated Orion" than like game title. FreeOrion is OK : )

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#18 Post by pd »

personally i would go with 'freeOrion' for typo reasons.
it's pretty balanced and there isn't too much weight on the first part.

by the way, there is already another project called 'Free Orion'.

Daveybaby
Small Juggernaut

#19 Post by Daveybaby »

pd wrote:by the way, there is already another project called 'Free Orion'.
Thats just bizarre. Truly, truly, bizarre.

Right, i'm gonna rename COW to... ermm... let me see... Free0rion. Note that's a zero not a capital 'o'. Gee, i hope this doesnt become too confusing for anyone.
The COW Project : You have a spy in your midst.

noelte
Juggernaut

#20 Post by noelte »

that project is dead, last update as i can see is from 2001
Can COWs fly?

Daveybaby
Small Juggernaut

#21 Post by Daveybaby »

Not at all like mine then... (ahem...) :oops:
The COW Project : You have a spy in your midst.

Aquitaine
Lead Designer Emeritus

#22 Post by Aquitaine »

The official spelling of FreeOrion is:

Aquitaine

That is all.

-Aquitaine
Surprise and Terror! I am greeted by the smooth and hostile face of our old enemy, the Hootmans! No... the Huge-glands, no, I remember, the Hunams!

noelte
Juggernaut

#23 Post by noelte »

:shock:
Can COWs fly?

Impaler
Creative Contributor

#24 Post by Impaler »

To be perfectly Honest this project has evolved so far beyond a "Moo2 Clone" that it realy should have its own completly Original name once we hit V1.0 Consider it the final act of "Polishing" the game

For the meantime we should operate under the title current title as a code name, this would realy not be that unusual many games have their names changed durring or after development to better fit what the game became along the way (or if the marketing department thinks that a sexier name will improve sales).
Fear is the Mind Killer - Frank Herbert -Dune

Aquitaine
Lead Designer Emeritus

#25 Post by Aquitaine »

This project was never a MOO2 clone, so I don't see that it 'evolved past it.' The very first time we sat down to hammer out the vision statement, we moved past the idea of a MOO2 clone.
Surprise and Terror! I am greeted by the smooth and hostile face of our old enemy, the Hootmans! No... the Huge-glands, no, I remember, the Hunams!

Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

#26 Post by Tyreth »

Aquitaine wrote:The official spelling of FreeOrion is:

Aquitaine

That is all.

-Aquitaine
This raises all sorts of questions about pronunciation :?

Regarding MOO2 clone, when we began this project one of the very first questions was: Do we make MOO 2.5, or do we make a new game based on what we like and don't like in other turn based strategy games?

As you know now, we opted for the latter. The name FreeOrion gives us an identity in the open source community, alongside projects like FreeCiv and FreeLords. It also ties us in to the games that inspire us, describing what type of game it is. It is descriptive both of its open source nature and the type of game it is.

nightwalker
Space Floater

#27 Post by nightwalker »

ok first thing i got the logo of this site ITS ALWAYS BEEN THAT WAY! lol
second i have to do some touch ups, for goodness sake i had to learn how to use bryce from scratch! i know lunacell sux but i had to use it because thats all i had.

breedman-ill have a look at that program i admit the Galaxy is not very real but why should it be? im tring to make an atmosphere

the pixeling of some stars and not on others, on the first pic is due to me bruning to add a little depth and the fact that obi swapped (loud gasps!) it with a very high res rended & superfine AA.

can you gess which picture i made first?

Note: theres somthing wrong with the batel scene the small ship on the right is ... well stuffed up ill ask obi as it looks like its doubled over?????

thanx for the help guys i do have more but i would some sugestions on what type of scenes you guys like me to make eg war, more ships or less ect

another question can it be used?
Last edited by nightwalker on Fri Oct 01, 2004 12:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Memories in time are like tears in rain.

BreadMan
Space Squid

#28 Post by BreadMan »

nightwalker wrote: breedman-ill have a look at that program i admit the Galaxy is not very real but why should it be? im tring to make an atmosphere
Oh hey, no, ignore me. That post was a general rant, not aimed at anybody in particular. I think, aside from the planet in the first one and the default photoshop off-red lens flares, your stuff looks fine. Celestia definitely has good looking realistic planets though.
Good afternoon! This is the Earth Alliance embassy diplomatic office. My name is Alex. How may I assist you?
HUMANS! BLAUGHRAN EMPIRE CLAIMS PLANET KREIGHTON! YOU GIVE RAY GUN SCIENCE OR BLAUGHRANS DESTROY HUMANS ON KREIGHTON!!!

Zanzibar
Psionic Snowflake

#29 Post by Zanzibar »

My suggestion: Use pov-ray for the atmospheric effects and the galaxy plugin (available from the sight... try Chris Colfax), then use bryce for the rest. I believe there's a mod or download available from the pov-ray website that makes the 2 programs compatible. Then you would get some really awesome looking pre-renders. :)

Aquitaine
Lead Designer Emeritus

#30 Post by Aquitaine »

With respect to usage, I can't speak to the short term, but my idea for long-term usage of such things...

Obviously, there are some things that we have to standardize -- we can't go having 10 different versions of the UI in the official release, but of course we do want it to be edit-able. And given the attention we're taking to making FO moddable, it seems prudent to have a store of graphics that, even if it doesn't end up in the official release, can be used in other, semi-official releases. :)

Other than that, I don't think anybody can make promises past v0.3 at this point.

-Aq