Ship Hulls

Development of artwork, requests, suggestions, samples, or if you have artwork to offer. Primarily for the artists.
MatGB
Creative Contributor

Re: Ship Hulls

#16 Post by MatGB »

OK, the Organic hulls are into Master with commit 9472b0b, they do look so very pretty in game, good job.

Sloth, if you can get the slot movement done by the RC-2 build deadline it'd be cool if they can get into that, tag Vezzra for your pull request and mention say why as a comment?

I'm signing off for the afternoon, if someone can tell my addled brain what asteroid hulls for which art I can get them online quickly, turns out it's really quick to simply save them into my default directory in the right place.

@Unnamed, we have a separate Assets repository that's for things like blender files and similar (I don't do art, no idea how it works), it would be great to get the source files into that, if you have (or can setup) a Github account could you send them to it as a pull request? Alternatively host them somewhere and throw us a link?

I'm really looking forward to seeing what you can do with the Endosymbiotic Hull, it's one of my favourites, but keep the colour, we must have at least one purple ship ;-)
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#17 Post by Vezzra »

MatGB wrote:OK, the Organic hulls are into Master with commit 9472b0b, they do look so very pretty in game, good job.

Sloth, if you can get the slot movement done by the RC-2 build deadline it'd be cool if they can get into that, tag Vezzra for your pull request and mention say why as a comment?
Cherry picked the new hull pics and the adjusted slot positions.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#18 Post by Vezzra »

MatGB wrote:There are three different Asteroid line hulls up there, and I've zero clue where to put them, the 'big' one looks too similar to the other two to be the Heavy, that does need to be a bit more obvious in game than it currently is not less, so someone tell me which three hulss to use them for and I'll do them
Well, the asteroid_hull01 and 02 are definitely too similar to use both. Personally I have a slight preference for 02, I'd take that for the standard asteroid hull. If 01 is resized to a noticeably smaller size, it could probably be used for the small asteroid hull.

As far as the big one (03) is concerned, I don't share your concerns here. The heavy asteroid hull is, after all, just a bigger variant of the standard asteroid hull, and 03 certainly looks that part compared to 02. So I'd suggest to use 02 for the standard asteroid hull, 03 for heavy, and if Unnamed can make a scaled down version of 01, use that for the small asteroid hull.
MatGB wrote:The other one, um, it's a bit technological, any suggestions?
Technological -> robotic hull line I guess? The design looks like a larger ship, so probably not for the basic robotic hull, or one of the small ones. Nanorobotic? Logistic Facilitator? One of these two would fit best IMO.

Unnamed
Space Floater

#19 Post by Unnamed »

Here is a scaled down version of the asteroid_hull01:
asteroid_hull01_icon.png
asteroid_hull01_icon.png (25.98 KiB) Viewed 9847 times
asteroid_hull01.png
asteroid_hull01.png (321.07 KiB) Viewed 9847 times
I forgot to post a new side view of the symbiotic hull after I changed it.
symbiotic_hull.png
symbiotic_hull.png (506.94 KiB) Viewed 9847 times

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#20 Post by Vezzra »

To speed things up a bit, I've created a PR with my suggested assignments of the new asteroid hull graphics to the small, standard and heavy asteroid hulls. I also adjusted the slot positions on the design screen.

Looks nice so far, but I'm wondering about the 03 graphic I used for the heavy asteroid hull, I'm not quite satsified with the scale. It doesn't really look bigger than the graphic for the standard asteroid hull... @Unnamned, could you scale up the graphic for 03 a bit?

Unnamed
Space Floater

#21 Post by Unnamed »

Does it look better this way?
asteroid_hull03_icon.png
asteroid_hull03_icon.png (51.27 KiB) Viewed 9811 times
asteroid_hull03.png
asteroid_hull03.png (846.91 KiB) Viewed 9811 times

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#22 Post by Vezzra »

Unnamed wrote:Does it look better this way?
Yep, better. Thanks :D

Committed these improved versions to the PR. If no one objects, I'm going to merge and cherry pick the new asteroid hull graphics into the release branch.

I'm also going to add you to the credits, if you want to provide a real name to be used there, you can post it here or send me a PM. To go into the release candidate build, this has to happen within the next few hours, otherwise I will use only your nick.

Unnamed
Space Floater

#23 Post by Unnamed »

The next one is the Endomorphic hull:
endomorphic_hull_icon.png
endomorphic_hull_icon.png (48.29 KiB) Viewed 9779 times
endomorphic_hull.png
endomorphic_hull.png (713.58 KiB) Viewed 9779 times

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#24 Post by Vezzra »

You know, your artwork is really pretty... please stay :D

Unnamed
Space Floater

#25 Post by Unnamed »

Now I made graphics for the Endosymbiotic hull:
endosymbiotic_hull_icon.png
endosymbiotic_hull_icon.png (58.31 KiB) Viewed 9754 times
endosymbiotic_hull.png
endosymbiotic_hull.png (848.39 KiB) Viewed 9754 times

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#26 Post by MatGB »

That's nice. Not quite as spikey as I'd imagined, but the icon view looks EVIL. Which it should, that hull's really nasty when you work out how to use it. Thank you. I can't commit it yet I'm in the middle of some work but it'll go up soon, won't be in the Release but will be in the next Test version.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Unnamed
Space Floater

#27 Post by Unnamed »

And here is the Sentient hull:
sentient_hull_icon.png
sentient_hull_icon.png (44.21 KiB) Viewed 9652 times
sentient_hull.png
sentient_hull.png (735.45 KiB) Viewed 9652 times

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#28 Post by MatGB »

That's nice, I'll get it up at some point later today.
Mat Bowles

Unnamed
Space Floater

#29 Post by Unnamed »

I just finished graphics for the Scattered Asteroid hull:
scattered_hull_icon.png
scattered_hull_icon.png (44.42 KiB) Viewed 9640 times
scattered_hull.png
scattered_hull.png (862.18 KiB) Viewed 9640 times

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#30 Post by MatGB »

Just an aside, both are now in Trunk and I'm playing games with them, and although I don't play Asteroid line often I really love the look of the Sentient Hull icon in game, it's so much better than the blob we had before, thank you.

I am also sure that our usual approach of putting the part slots over the art wasn't much of a problem for older designs but for some of your stuff it seems a bit wasteful, I'm half tempted to go through and move them all so they don't obscure the art, really nice stuff.
Mat Bowles