new shipparts

Development of artwork, requests, suggestions, samples, or if you have artwork to offer. Primarily for the artists.
The Silent One
Graphics

Re: new shipparts

#16 Post by The Silent One »

Those look great, nice job!
If I provided any images, code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0.

LGM-Doyle
Programmer

#17 Post by LGM-Doyle »

The launch bays look awesome.

Unnamed
Space Floater

#18 Post by Unnamed »

I'm glad you like them :D
I made two more icons using The Silent One's beam graphic for the void shadow icon.
dark-ray.png
dark-ray.png (19.87 KiB) Viewed 7952 times
void-shadow.png
void-shadow.png (27.47 KiB) Viewed 7952 times
And an icon for the space elevator:
space-elevator.png
space-elevator.png (7.45 KiB) Viewed 7952 times
There are allready pull requests for these icons.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#19 Post by MatGB »

Unnamed wrote: And an icon for the space elevator:
space-elevator.png
Oh that's lovely, thank you.

I guess now someone needs to list all the buildings that were given spare art that doesn't quite fit but I'll leave that for a better visual person than me ;-)
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

The Silent One
Graphics

#20 Post by The Silent One »

Good work on those as well!
MatGB wrote:I guess now someone needs to list all the buildings that were given spare art that doesn't quite fit
Buildings without a 3D style image are (might have missed one or two):
- Industrial Center
- Megalith
- Xenoressurection Lab
- Scrying Sphere
- Spatial Distortion Generator
- Gateway to the Void
- Black Hole Collapser
- Hyperspatial Dam
- Interstellar Lighthouse (copy of the Scanning Facility)
If I provided any images, code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0.

labgnome
Juggernaut

#21 Post by labgnome »

The Silent One wrote:Good work on those as well!
MatGB wrote:I guess now someone needs to list all the buildings that were given spare art that doesn't quite fit
Buildings without a 3D style image are (might have missed one or two):
- Industrial Center
- Megalith
- Xenoressurection Lab
- Scrying Sphere
- Spatial Distortion Generator
- Gateway to the Void
- Black Hole Collapser
- Hyperspatial Dam
- Interstellar Lighthouse (copy of the Scanning Facility)
There are also some unused resources in the game, that we could probably assign or re-assign (I'm looking at you orbital garden). I'm also fine with the current lighthouse, it looks very lighthouse-y. Also I really dislike most of the old shipyard artwork. The "shield" and "science-institute" buildings are unused and also look nice. Also having the Neutronium Forge and Neutronium Extractor have different graphics would be nice. I can be a bit confusing otherwise.
All of my contributions should be considered released under creative commons attribution share-alike license, CC-BY-SA 3.0 for use in, by and with the Free Orion project.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#22 Post by MatGB »

FWIW, I intensely dislike the current Lighthouse art: I made it, using Paint, by adapting the existing scanning facility art fairly badly. I'd be happy if a similar idea was done by an actually talented artist but two pixel lines and a colour change does not proper art make ;-)
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

labgnome
Juggernaut

#23 Post by labgnome »

MatGB wrote:FWIW, I intensely dislike the current Lighthouse art: I made it, using Paint, by adapting the existing scanning facility art fairly badly. I'd be happy if a similar idea was done by an actually talented artist but two pixel lines and a colour change does not proper art make ;-)
It might could use some touch-up, but I do think that it "resonates" with me when I see that graphic for being a lighthouse. I'd definitely keep the two floating light-sources as that looks really interesting, and the tall tower-like shape, as that's evocative of a lighthouse tower. It might not be the best work, but for a 64x64 graphic it does a good job of conveying the purpose of the structure.
All of my contributions should be considered released under creative commons attribution share-alike license, CC-BY-SA 3.0 for use in, by and with the Free Orion project.