Music

Samples of sound/music, ideas or suggestions related to the development of audio assets for FreeOrion.
human2
Pupating Mass

Re: Music

#31 Post by human2 »

Whoops. I fixed it. I don't seem to have the same enthusiasm to keep my website working like I did years ago...

Ouaz
Dyson Forest

#32 Post by Ouaz »

Very good work. Fits very well with FO, especially the part starting from 1'00 for long play sessions.

If possible, split the file in two parts, to have two distinctive game music:

First part (before 1'00) for the Title Screen / Main Menu.
Second part (after 1'00) for in-game ambient music.
I release every updated file under the CC-BY-SA 3.0 license.

human2
Pupating Mass

#33 Post by human2 »

This is what I'm imagining for the background music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTySVh_47Ak. I might make something like this. It's super easy.

human2
Pupating Mass

#34 Post by human2 »

Well, it turned out to not be as easy to make it sound as good as that track as I thought.

Anyway, what do people think of this? https://soundcloud.com/nicolaariutti/aurora-borealis. This track is randomly generated tones and pitches. It's generated from a SuperCollider file http://sccode.org/1-5bi. I've been playing with this and it can generate a wide variety of moods. I'm still not sure how it works completely and I'm playing with it to see how to tweak it to get what I want, instead of just leaving it all to random chance.

Edit: I have no idea what the license is on code posted to SuperCollider's website. Well, the SoundCloud site says: "Creative Commons License." I'm not sure if that's the music file or the code file. I couldn't find any reference to licensing on sccode.org or anywhere else.
Last edited by human2 on Wed May 12, 2021 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#35 Post by Oberlus »

human2 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 1:00 am This is what I'm imagining for the background music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTySVh_47Ak.
I like it, but dunno if it is too soft and calm on the long run.
human2 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:41 pm Anyway, what do people think of this? https://soundcloud.com/nicolaariutti/aurora-borealis.
I also like it, but I liked more the above. I'm sure you can do something cool with both.

human2
Pupating Mass

#36 Post by human2 »

Well, I thought I'd mention what happened. When I went back to work a year ago I accidentally deleted the music source files I made. I was pretty upset and basically have tried to forget about this stuff. I still seem to come back to play the game though. I was just downloading the latest test build and decided to leave this message. Sorry about not following through.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#37 Post by Oberlus »

Shit happens, bro. Good to have you around.

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#38 Post by LienRag »

You certainly are under no obligation to pursue any volunteer work you started, but maybe now you can understand why I insisted on atomic work ?
That is, things that somebody else can pick up later if they want to, rather than things that would require you to do all the work from start to end ?

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#39 Post by Oberlus »

LienRag, shut up :D

One song is atomic by definition.

human2
Pupating Mass

#40 Post by human2 »

I actually agree with LienRag but also disagree. I believe all music assets should be open source and posted online. However, no composer is going to pick up someone else's stuff and finish it, they'd rather start over from scratch.

I'd also really rather not use GarageBand. Open-source music is a difficult thing. The music creation community is dominated by propriety and expensive software. There are some free and open-source things out there but because I don't compose electronic music, I don't know that much about them. I've been looking at Ardour, Komplete, LMMS, and a few other things. It takes a lot of time to learn this stuff. I know you guys are moving slowly as well. If it weren't for that I wouldn't even be posting here because I know I probably will never do it. But I guess I'll write this stuff for the next person who comes along.