Sound crackles / solution

Samples of sound/music, ideas or suggestions related to the development of audio assets for FreeOrion.
phonon
Space Krill

Sound crackles / solution

#1 Post by phonon »

After compilation (Ubuntu Linux), i had sound crackles during game play. They appeared irregularly around 3Hz. I have a sound Blaster 24 as well as onboard sound. Problems appeared with sound blaster. After a while, I found a solution on: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=580726
I just used gedit to make .openalrc with the following line
(define devices '(native))
saved it in my home directory as .openalrc
After that, the sound had been switched to onboard and the crackles / noise had dissapeared.

regards, phonon

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

Re: Sound crackles / solution

#2 Post by utilae »

I had a sound blaster 24 bit and everytime I'd play any game, I'd get crackling.

The solution, get a better sound card, cause it's most likely that that sound card is crap :)

MareviQ
Space Kraken

#3 Post by MareviQ »

Actually, this problem appears only with SoundBlaster sound cards (Audigy Ex here) on Linux with ALSA drivers (OSS seems fine... not OSS via ALSA though). Never discovered what exactly caused the problem.
abs(imag(ME) / abs(ME)) = exp(PI) - PI - 19;

krum
Creative Contributor

#4 Post by krum »

phonon wrote:After compilation (Ubuntu Linux), i had sound crackles during game play. They appeared irregularly around 3Hz. I have a sound Blaster 24 as well as onboard sound. Problems appeared with sound blaster. After a while, I found a solution on: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=580726
I just used gedit to make .openalrc with the following line
(define devices '(native))
saved it in my home directory as .openalrc
After that, the sound had been switched to onboard and the crackles / noise had dissapeared.

regards, phonon
This _mostly_ solved the problem for me too. I've had to manually add to my alsa configuration "options snd_hda_intel model=3stack" manually too :) Nothing works out of the box with this damn thing...