If you need voice overs - Let me know.

Samples of sound/music, ideas or suggestions related to the development of audio assets for FreeOrion.
xanoblivion
Space Floater

If you need voice overs - Let me know.

#1 Post by xanoblivion »

I'm Australian, get told all the time I've got a killin-good radio voice - and it's commanding for people to listen to. Also talented with characterisating accents, impersonations, and other things.

I've got a Career based on corporate customer service, and voice acting. So I'm sure I can do a great job for a great title =)

If you are curious, please, let me know and I'll go on a Ventrilo with you sometime.

add my msn if interested -

[email protected]

Thanks.

Tortanick
Creative Contributor

Re: If you need voice overs - Let me know.

#2 Post by Tortanick »

Welcome to FreeOrion, always nice to see someone new :)

As for voices I haven't heard anything about it but if there is going to be voices it probably wont be for a while. Right now we're working pretty much exclusively on gameplay.

tzlaine
Programming Lead Emeritus

#3 Post by tzlaine »

I think voiceover would be really nice in some cases, like to announce that some event has occurred that the user really shouldn't ignore. We're a pretty long way from knowing what those things might be. Having said that, random interesting contributions that people have made over the years have made their way into FO, so try recording some examples and uploading them. Who knows? A whole subforum might spring up around it.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#4 Post by pd »

Right now we're working pretty much exclusively on gameplay.
If this were true, freeOrion wouldn't look as it does. Art is made constantly. (Sounds as well since a while)

Things that might be useful now or pretty soon:

Supporting sounds for the sitrep:
"Research completed"
"Ship completed" / "Ships completed"
"Building completed" / "Buildings completed"

combat:
"Entering hyperspace/starlane"
"Leaving hyperspace/starlane"
"Affirmative" "Roger that"

It's a good idea to take a chance like this, instead of letting it go by. Xanoblivion, please make sure to check the audio wiki page. It's important that you understand and agree with the license we are using. Welcome to the project!

Tortanick
Creative Contributor

#5 Post by Tortanick »

Looks like I was wrong, glad to be this time :)

I'd have to disagree with affirmative / roger that, while a disembodied voice giving you battlefield (or any) updates is fine, if the ships themselves are replying I think it would detract from immersion if they replied in Human/English.

The rest is all fine by me, I'd say battles would benefit the most from voice overs since they're in real time.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#6 Post by pd »

Does it distract you, that all interface text is in english?

xanoblivion
Space Floater

#7 Post by xanoblivion »

Okay, thanks for the replies, I am most enthused to help see this project become a full release.

I will do what I can, and I will be posting additional ideas around the forums.

Thanks.

Tortanick
Creative Contributor

#8 Post by Tortanick »

pd wrote:Does it distract you, that all interface text is in english?
No it only distracts me when specific characters speak in a language they wouldn't use. Interface text, disembodied status updates, etc can be in English.

Of course if there is a good reason that takes priority over immersion then ships could speak English, but I can't see one: if they're saying a generic "Yes Sir!" it doesn't matter if its in English, Greek or Insect Clicks and if its something important like a planet is being bombed you can have a disembodied narrator say it, rather than someone who is supposed to be the planet's governor and only communicate via sign language.

xanoblivion
Space Floater

#9 Post by xanoblivion »

Tortanick wrote:
pd wrote:Does it distract you, that all interface text is in english?
No it only distracts me when specific characters speak in a language they wouldn't use. Interface text, disembodied status updates, etc can be in English.

Of course if there is a good reason that takes priority over immersion then ships could speak English, but I can't see one: if they're saying a generic "Yes Sir!" it doesn't matter if its in English, Greek or Insect Clicks and if its something important like a planet is being bombed you can have a disembodied narrator say it, rather than someone who is supposed to be the planet's governor and only communicate via sign language.
I agree.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#10 Post by pd »

I see your point, but using english would allow us to actually tell the player some game related information. "Affirmative" is probably not the best example, but something like "Lasers need to cool down" might be useful. If we just use some alien gibberish, there is no game play value in using voices(in this special case) at all.

In the end, the game provides a user interface with graphic and acoustic tools and the player will always be human.

Tortanick
Creative Contributor

#11 Post by Tortanick »

Well I'm willing to step down if you can find useful things for ships to say, and a reason why they have to be said by the ship instead of a generic disembodied narrator.

P.S. lasers need to cool down isn't a good example, unless its going to encourage players to issue new orders it's just meaningless noise. if lasers need to cool down players will probably just ignore it and let them cool themselves. Enemy reinforcements have arrived is a good example, but there's no reason it has to be said by an ingame character.