GuiguiBaah Music

Samples of sound/music, ideas or suggestions related to the development of audio assets for FreeOrion.
guiguibaah
Creative Contributor

Update

#31 Post by guiguibaah »

Added Update above
There are three kinds of people in this world - those who can count, and those who can't.

StratCaster
Space Kraken

#32 Post by StratCaster »

I think I said it somewhere before, but that Victory.ogg tune is really amazing... I listen to it everynow and then... Its simple, and done very well. And its damn catchy! I think it should be leveraged and used in other ways...

and Gigastudio rocks... very high quality samples... I haven't used it myself, but I hope we can have the final audio releases played through it...
"The mighty warships of the Vl'Hurg Empire dived screaming upon the unknowing Earth, where due to a terrible miscalculation of scale the entire battle fleet was accidentally swallowed by a small dog." -Hitchhikers Guide

guiguibaah
Creative Contributor

Updated sound files

#33 Post by guiguibaah »

I've updated the first post of this thread with some new music files to peruse.
thanks all! :)
There are three kinds of people in this world - those who can count, and those who can't.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#34 Post by pd »

really nice stuff - i like all of them. the kangisha one made me look at them in a completely new - but really interesting way.
my favourite is angry1.

keep up the good work.

drek
Designer Emeritus

#35 Post by drek »

wow.

more great stuff.

Zanzibar
Psionic Snowflake

#36 Post by Zanzibar »

It would be kinda cool if you did an Eaxaw theme too... :D

guiguibaah
Creative Contributor

Eaxaw

#37 Post by guiguibaah »

- Don't worry, once I learn more about VST effects and whatnots I'll give it a shot. Coming up with effects that sound like your mind is being psionically ripped apart, but not annoying to turn off the music, would be fun to do. Something like the Zerg expansion music, but instead of those drilling sounds you add sweeping pads with highpass filters and flanger effects.

StratCaster
Space Kraken

#38 Post by StratCaster »

sounds amazing... I've only listened to the warhorn remix so far... I noticed you changed the mode...sounds good though... I enjoyed the arrangement.

My time is freeing up a little this summer, so hopefully I'll be able to contribute...writing, arranging, orchestrating, mixing, whatever....

man, I gotta get Gigastudio, it sounds so professional!
"The mighty warships of the Vl'Hurg Empire dived screaming upon the unknowing Earth, where due to a terrible miscalculation of scale the entire battle fleet was accidentally swallowed by a small dog." -Hitchhikers Guide

guiguibaah
Creative Contributor

Music

#39 Post by guiguibaah »

Actually about 55% of that stuff is soundfonts, 25% is Gigastudio, 15% is my old LAPC-1 soundcard and 5% is me on a microphone with VST/DirectX effects.

StratCaster
Space Kraken

#40 Post by StratCaster »

well that's the way to go then.... I'd like to know which parts are you on the microphone...

StratCaster
Space Kraken

#41 Post by StratCaster »

I really like the Tusk soundtrack. That tribal sound was what I was trying to achieve in my Kruge track, although you pulled it off much better.

at 0:18 you introduce a warning horn (or a conch) and then later some bottle blows (pan flute?) or whatever they are... you should bring those back later on in some other way... they are great textures (and my favorite) that really convey the time, place, mood and culture....

LithiumMongoose
Audio Lead Emeritus

#42 Post by LithiumMongoose »

The main lesson here, is I need to add support for and start using soundfonts... Somehow I don't think that by itself will result in this kind of sound quality though... Gui I might be willing to pay you for teaching me how to make stuff sound this good. ;)

<ahem> That being said, my favorites here are the Human and Warhorn and Diplomacy tracks.

The Human track in particular is outstanding. Really really first rate. There is one thing I would, humbly, request you change to make it perfect: remove the annoying rapid rattle sound that starts around 0:04 and goes to 1:55. Otherwise though... wow.

Your Warhorn track is... ridiculously good. It actually goes pretty well with mine too, played back to back... with yours being the main event of the two heh. All I can say is, if there's any possible way, this will definitely get used.

I liked the two diplomacy ones a lot as well, but imo they are too similar. I loved how in MOO2 there was not only racial diplomacy music, but it varied quite a bit between angry and content and happy (or maybe just angry and happy, I forget). I would say keep one of these, preferrably the Upset one, and redo the other to be more significantly different. It's a cool idea using the same track for both and just changing the drums and voice a little, but this ultimately doesn't differentiate them enough from a gameplay perspective, at least in my opinion.

Tusk is good. No particular comments other than amazement at that main sound you have (the one that starts at 0:19). Oh yeah, and I need better drums, yeesh.

The Ancients is solid. The bassline reminds me very strongly of something I can't place atm, and overall it reminds me of Chariots of Fire for some reason. Not quite what I usually picture when I think of a race called the Ancients, and not sure how well this'll fit into FO, but I have no real complaints with it either so I guess we'll see.

The Kangishan one has potential, but imo you need to dial back (read: change) the "twangy liquid bass" patch for lack of a better description - that synth makes me cringe, particularly when it gets loud. Nice touches with the crowd noises at 1:27+, the high piano at 3:06, and the vocal burst at 3:35.

Never was a die-hard fan of your Trayg theme I'll admit... This version I like the ooh section from 0:58-1:39, but the rest kinda loses me. Too harsh sounding, mostly.

StratCaster
Space Kraken

#43 Post by StratCaster »

StratCaster wrote:at 0:18 you introduce a warning horn (or a conch) and then later some bottle blows (pan flute?) or whatever they are... you should bring those back later on in some other way... they are great textures (and my favorite) that really convey the time, place, mood and culture....
alright, just ignore me... I listened to it again more closely, you do exactly what I wished for... duh.

well done.

Do you download free soundfonts? Or are these paid for?

StratCaster
Space Kraken

#44 Post by StratCaster »

I like the Trayg theme. Its a creative use of the low string texture (not real strings...but still way cool). Its just a simple ostenato thingy, and you take it on a journey adding melodies, modulating, stopping, starting, cresendos, cadences... stuff I need to do in my own music.... I'm still working on my orchestration chops. I do good with writing melodies and themes and what not, but I definitely get overwhelmed with the 'orchestrational palette'.

good stuff!

guiguibaah
Creative Contributor

Site for Soundfonts

#45 Post by guiguibaah »

A place I now visit for some interesting soundfonts is http://www.sf2midi.com - although one has to be a little careful to download legit copies... in other words, soundfonts that start with "EMU ...." are those that were ripped off a CD and placed on a site. Even if you don't use soundfonts, they post links every now and again to places with different stuff, such as free .wav .gig or .rfl samples.

If one uses a Mac, they can visit this site that has a lot of reason / refill samples at http://www.dorumalaia.com/freerefillswavsamples.htm I wish there was a refill to soundfont (or gigastudio) converted. Boo :(

As I understand it, most composers use Macs - perhaps the sound generated from them is nicer?