Possible Contributor?

Samples of sound/music, ideas or suggestions related to the development of audio assets for FreeOrion.
Eddyster
Space Krill

Possible Contributor?

#1 Post by Eddyster »

Hi freeorion geniuses :D

I'm a budding composer and sound designer for all sorts of multimedia applications. I was wondering whether the audio team needs expanding? I'd love to contribute some music and sounds.

A brief resume of my work can be found at my website: http://www.edwardblakeley.co.uk. (the most relavent examples are 'ambience', 'orbit' for the ambient stuff, otherwise just have a listen!)

As a student I have the time and inclination to do lots of work for free :).

Let me know what you think!
Cheers
Edd

Bigjoe5
Designer and Programmer

Re: Possible Contributor?

#2 Post by Bigjoe5 »

Eddyster wrote:I was wondering whether the audio team needs expanding?
Yes.

As you may have noticed, we have a fairly low supply of music right now, and since we are in the midst of the combat section, more music contributions would definitely be appreciated.

I'm not sure if any of this has been composed yet (my guess is no), but my opinion is that the game should choose which battle music track to play based on the initial conditions of the battle, i.e. comparative strengths of opposing fleets, combined fleet size, stealth of enemy fleets vs. detection of player fleet, player race, etc.

So to clarify, it would probably be fruitful to work on:

Battle music (for regular battles)

Epic battle music (for epic battles)

Gyisache battle music (for when the player is playing as the Gyisache)

Eaxaw battle music (for when the player is playing as the Eaxaw)

Chato'matou'Gormoshk battle music (for when the player is playing as the Chato'matou'Gormoshk)

Stealth battle music (for when most of the forces that the player could detect on the galaxy map are too stealthy to be seen at the start of the battle)

Frantic battle music (for when the player is severely overpowered; the player's goal is most likely to escape or accomplish a strategic mission rather than to destroy all enemy ships in this case)

Use your imagination (for stuff I haven't thought of)

Although there is no diplomacy at this point, and there is no intro thingy showing off sweet graphics and the FO main theme, a main theme probably will be necessary for just such a purpose, and could be used when writing the regular and epic battle music. Races will most likely have their own theme, which will probably appear in its most basic form in the diplomacy screen, and these themes would likely be reiterated in their combat themes, so you may want to make themes for these races (and any others that appeal to you) before writing combat music for them.

It would be very useful to have a talented audio contributor such as yourself with the same dedication for the project as a few of our coders and artists. Audio is suffering a bit right now, so I hope you can bring us some helpful contributions.:)

Edit: syntax
Last edited by Bigjoe5 on Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Warning: Antarans in dimensional portal are closer than they appear.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#3 Post by pd »

Welcome, please also check out these two recent threads by Thursdaybloom, another new aspiring audio contributor.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3487
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3510
Bigjoe5 wrote:the game should choose which battle music track to play based on the initial conditions of the battle
I like this.

Eddyster
Space Krill

#4 Post by Eddyster »

Ok guys - nice one.

I'll see what I can get together and post it here.

Edd

Eddyster
Space Krill

#5 Post by Eddyster »

Hi fellas,

Don't know what the situation was on getting various ambient soundtracks, but I thought I'd showcase this one as I've started it already - how about this for an (maybe 1 of 3) human ambient track?

http://www.edwardblakeley.co.uk

Track: Nebula DEMO

Let me know if you need/want this sort of thing? (still a demo obviously lol)

Cheers
Edd

The Silent One
Graphics

#6 Post by The Silent One »

Marvellous, I like it a lot! The beginning reminded me of the start of C&C1 (the westwood theme) ;)
If I provided any images, code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0.

Bigjoe5
Designer and Programmer

#7 Post by Bigjoe5 »

I should have mentioned that we could use more ambient tracks as well, but since we already have one, it didn't seem like a big priority. As far as ambient music goes, the more the better, as long as it fits the mood of the game and is significantly distinct from the already existing track(s).

That music is great. Definitely post it when you're finished, and if you could, submit it in .ogg format.
Warning: Antarans in dimensional portal are closer than they appear.

Redcap
Graphics

#8 Post by Redcap »

Holly cow your music is great!

Brilliant!