OGG Encoders

Samples of sound/music, ideas or suggestions related to the development of audio assets for FreeOrion.
Yoghurt
Programmer

OGG Encoders

#1 Post by Yoghurt »

As some of you might know, the quality of the standard ogg encoder is not optimal. There are alternate implementations around, one of the best seems to be aoTuV (http://www.geocities.jp/aoyoume/aotuv/)

I'd recommend using this or some other encoder; there are some threads about this at http://www.hydrogenaudio.org (down ATM :(), just as we would use LAME instead of the reference implementation if we were using MP3s.

Impaler
Creative Contributor

#2 Post by Impaler »

I am a bit curious as to why are using these OOG music files rather then plain old Mp3, I asume its some kind of performace issue? In any event I am not in any way involved in music making (but I will help by reviewing it) so keep on doing what ever you feel is best.
Fear is the Mind Killer - Frank Herbert -Dune

drek
Designer Emeritus

#3 Post by drek »

Ogg Vorbis is free and open source, developed as an answer to the patent issues with mp3.

Many games and audio apps (like Fruityloops) use Ogg successfully.

http://www.vorbis.com/faq.psp#dev

Yoghurt
Programmer

#4 Post by Yoghurt »

Impaler wrote:I am a bit curious as to why are using these OOG music files rather then plain old Mp3, I asume its some kind of performace issue? In any event I am not in any way involved in music making (but I will help by reviewing it) so keep on doing what ever you feel is best.
Nope, it's because of legal/patent issues. MP3 is patented technology, and even if Fraunhofer does not yet require royalties, they might do so in the future. For example, for every MP3-player produced Fraunhofer gets 1 to 2 cents, IIRC.

Besides that, Vorbis has better quality.

Edit:typo
Last edited by Yoghurt on Thu Sep 09, 2004 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LithiumMongoose
Audio Lead Emeritus

#5 Post by LithiumMongoose »

I'm using OggDrop at the moment, which is more or less an OS X freeware wrapper app for some encoder about which I don't remember any details at the moment... I'll look into this before I post music again, if necessary I can copy the raw audio files to my PC and encode them there, then copy them back, but I hope it doesn't come to that. :)

Impaler
Creative Contributor

#6 Post by Impaler »

I C :D

Oh and Yogurt I think you ment "Rolayties" which are what you seem to be describing (getting a flatfee everything someone uses something you have ownership of) not "Loyalties". Was that a typo or a mistranslation?
Fear is the Mind Killer - Frank Herbert -Dune

Yoghurt
Programmer

#7 Post by Yoghurt »

Impaler wrote:Was that a typo or a mistranslation?
A typo, but a funny one. Either that, or I mixed it with "the don't deserve loyalty" ;)

guiguibaah
Creative Contributor

A note

#8 Post by guiguibaah »

I noted that the current .ogg player in freeorion is limited to monorual sound, from replacing other .ogg files and renaming them to the default aiintelligence.
There are three kinds of people in this world - those who can count, and those who can't.

Yoghurt
Programmer

#9 Post by Yoghurt »

FYI: The new ogg Encoder 1.1 seems to include the aoTuV patches.

guiguibaah
Creative Contributor

link?

#10 Post by guiguibaah »

Is there a link to this new version for DL?
thanks!
There are three kinds of people in this world - those who can count, and those who can't.

MikkoM
Space Dragon

Re: OGG Encoders

#11 Post by MikkoM »

This is maybe a bit of a brainstorming kind of an idea, but if there is some particularly good, free OGG converter/encoder, which could be used to convert at least MP3 (an possibly other music) files to OGG files we could offer a link to it on the main page of the project. This way it would be easier for an average player to customize the sounds of the game if he/she wants to. This isn`t of course a priority right now, because there isn`t that many music/audio files in the game at the moment and the game is still under development, but perhaps something worth considering when v. 1.0 approaches.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#12 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Links to tools like audio encoders, graphics editors, text editors or compilers aren't really appropriate for the main page of the wiki. A link could be added to the Audio page, though.

MikkoM
Space Dragon

#13 Post by MikkoM »

Geoff the Medio wrote:Links to tools like audio encoders, graphics editors, text editors or compilers aren't really appropriate for the main page of the wiki. A link could be added to the Audio page, though.
Wasn`t there sometime ago a section on the main page, or maybe more accurately a link to a page which dealt with mods? What I am thinking here is that maybe we could have such a site again at least when version 1.0 approaches, which would deal with modding and customization tools and completed and upcoming mods.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#14 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Once there a few substantial mods available, we can make a page for them. For now, tools such as audio encoders that are useful in general can be linked from the appropriate pages.