WoW Soundtrack

Samples of sound/music, ideas or suggestions related to the development of audio assets for FreeOrion.
LithiumMongoose
Audio Lead Emeritus

WoW Soundtrack

#1 Post by LithiumMongoose »

I dunno about you guys but I've been extremely impressed with the mp3s coming out of Blizzard lately. Check out their latest one, Darnassus (the Night Elf home city intro theme) on http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/ in particular... wouldn't that be the perfect FO title screen music? Too bad we can't use it lol. Oh well just musing. :)

drek
Designer Emeritus

#2 Post by drek »

Sounds like b5 music, cept a little crappier.

LithiumMongoose
Audio Lead Emeritus

#3 Post by LithiumMongoose »

That's a damn good point, I hadn't thought of that... no wonder it seemed to fit lol...

Zpock
Space Kraken

#4 Post by Zpock »

Can you make something similar? :)

LithiumMongoose
Audio Lead Emeritus

#5 Post by LithiumMongoose »

Uhh... Erm... possibly... in theory... with some time... and luck...

"Darnassus" is actually just a short intro fanfare, listening to it again I already have an idea for a continuation, but, going to be tricky writing something "similar" without actually copying it (or straying onto B5 terf heh). But yeah, will give it a shot. No promises it'll sound as good though. In fact no promises at all, given my last two attempts at title screen music... Though admittedly I didn't have it very clear in my mind what I was aiming for with those... Also have a lot of other stuff on the lists of "things to try" and "things that still need work". Bah, what's wrong with you people, making me *actually* work... <grumbles>

StratCaster
Space Kraken

#6 Post by StratCaster »

sounds good...

what is b5?
"The mighty warships of the Vl'Hurg Empire dived screaming upon the unknowing Earth, where due to a terrible miscalculation of scale the entire battle fleet was accidentally swallowed by a small dog." -Hitchhikers Guide

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#7 Post by pd »

babylon 5 :)

guiguibaah
Creative Contributor

Soundtracks

#8 Post by guiguibaah »

Because Blizzard does not use event-driven music, they set up their songs to have pauses in that break up the pace of the song. I imagine that's because the song doesn't follow your battles / quiet periods, so it goes around taht sort of way.

Myself, I really like the soundtrack from C&C Generals - it is somewhat similar to Hans Zimmerman's work. Especially the GLA ones.

(Of course, Zimmerman has the entire LSO installed his myriad of Gigastudio machines, so that helps a little :) )
There are three kinds of people in this world - those who can count, and those who can't.