Shipyards

Past public reviews and discussions.
yaromir
Space Kraken

Re: Shipyards

#31 Post by yaromir »

Remember the Death Star? It was said to be the size of a moon. :) One of these could conceivably mass produce those. Or build larger things.
No need to go nuts. :mrgreen:

I read a book recently about such a system. Dyson sphere, weird machinery on the inside. Planets don't have any intelligent life-forms. The ancients built the sphere and went into a sub-dimensional pocket isolating themselves from the rest of universe.

Then two forces arrive and start battling from the system...once the intensity is hot enough, the ancients get angry and come out from sub-space...
-----
This sort of thing would certainly add flavor to the game, but is more of an 'icing' than 'cake' :wink:
Staying awake and aware is perhaps the hardest thing to do.

marhawkman
Large Juggernaut

#32 Post by marhawkman »

you misunderstand, the idea is for players to eventually be able to build them.
Computer programming is fun.

Bigjoe5
Designer and Programmer

#33 Post by Bigjoe5 »

This is getting a bit OT don't you think? Anyway, my support goes to this model with just one modification.

emrys wrote:I should take this opportunity to reiterate my support for (a particular variation of) the model that was being bandied about ages ago in brainstorming, i.e. the model Geoff's been presenting:

* Shipyards have to be explicitly built at a particular planet as a building.
* Ships have to be assigned to a particular shipyard when queued up on the build queue.
* Each Shipyard has a "assembly capacity" which is the max PP/turn that can be funnelled through it.
* Shipyards can be upgraded (in fairly discrete chunks) to allow more PP/turn through them (by build queue projects).
* For balance, it should be cheaper and/or quicker to gain an additional given PP/turn output ability by upgrading an existing shipyard than to build a new one of that capacity. (Since building a new one gives you redundancy and flexibility, so it should be more expensive to give you a trade-off to make).
And the modification is: In addition to a max PP that can be funnelled through, there needs to be a maximum physical capacity for the shipyard. This praboably goes without saying in just about everyone's shipyard model, but I'd like to elaborate on that a bit.

*Max PP is directly related to physical capacity.
*Each ship is designated a number based on it's size. The total number cannot exceed the physical capacity of the shipyard.

This is pretty basic, but I just wanted to get something solid out there for physical capacity.
Warning: Antarans in dimensional portal are closer than they appear.

marhawkman
Large Juggernaut

#34 Post by marhawkman »

I dunno. I like the idea that even a tiny yard could build something huge. Of course it'd take them a loooonnngg time to do it. hmm... Maybe have a racial trait related to this? Have a short series of choices for shipyard design philosophy. Maybe:

Enclosed: +speed, -max size
regular: normal(default)
Open: -speed, no size limit

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#35 Post by Geoff the Medio »

In case it hasn't been mentioned, shipyards stuff is now on the wiki.

Please comment if anything is missing or glaringly inconsistent with the general consensus of the thread.

marhawkman
Large Juggernaut

#36 Post by marhawkman »

Looks good. :)

grubasek7
Space Krill

#37 Post by grubasek7 »

I'm all for shipyards with caps & maintaince costs, so long as you are allowed to have multiple shipyards each with their own ques, but it costs you. That way, if you know you're in for a truly brutal war, you will probably prepare and make more shipyards, even if it begins draining your treasury. Shipyards with empty ques can contribute to repairs of damaged ships.

I like marhawkman's idea:
I dunno. I like the idea that even a tiny yard could build something huge. Of course it'd take them a loooonnngg time to do it. hmm... Maybe have a racial trait related to this? Have a short series of choices for shipyard design philosophy. Maybe:

Enclosed: +speed, -max size
regular: normal(default)
Open: -speed, no size limit
Maybe a tech/research opposed to racial trait, but either way I like it. It would add a reason to keep scout ships away, lest the enemy predict what kind of ships you're building by seeing your yards.

I don't think it should be an unchangeable racial trait though. Politics & events alone change these kinds of things, a sudden technology breakthrough can spark a jeune ecole naval revolution, and suddenly your empire wants enclosed shipyards for making lots of small vessels.
I feel like you're talking about Hydroponic Farms and I'm a Klackon who got Biospheres.