Feature Request: System & Planet names

Past public reviews and discussions.
Message
Author
Muside
Krill Swarm
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2005 4:32 pm
Location: Trier, Rheinland-Pfalz

#46 Post by Muside » Sun Dec 04, 2005 4:17 am

Mhm. The Chinese use a different character set for their servers than we do (we use ISO-8859, the Japanese use EUC-JP, don't know which one the Chinese are using). But I can definetely say that the Chinese (and Japanese, too) understand our romaji (roman characters) quite well, while we suck trying to learn their Hanzi, Kanji, Hiragana, Katakana etc. ;)
Thy soul shall find itself alone
Mid dark thoughts of the gray tombstone
Not one, of all the crowd, to pry
Into thine hour of secrecy.

E.A. Poe, "Spirits of the Dead"

User avatar
Krikkitone
Creative Contributor
Posts: 1414
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2003 6:52 pm

#47 Post by Krikkitone » Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:38 pm

Pink wrote:Good point. Using the Japan example, anyone who deals with Japan probably knows that it is called 'Japan' by most of the outside world, but 'Nippon' by it's inhabitants. It would be easy enough to show both the name the race calls it and then the names that the other races use in a
YourRaceName(OtherRaceName,OtherRaceName,OtherRaceName)
sort of format. The 'OtherRaceName' segments would probably only be shown when showing a Planet Information screen to cut down on text on the starmap, and could be colored (assuming that each race will have a identifying color) the color of the race that uses it.


Actually that could be really interesting in that each RACE could have a name list.

I'd generally say not a good idea so as to allow a large number of AI players, but if memory/processing time wasn't a problem, then at the start of the game every species names all the stars on the map (you get to know their names when you know them) the default names for all the stars (which you can see at the beginning of the game) are the ones from the list for your species.


Actually that would be a good thing, having the default name of all stars visible... the "Actual name" could then be displayed when you contacted them (to allow for Orion and Homeworlds, as well a human players to not be given away)

The Actual name could then be changed on on initial colonization (this way only two names are given for a star ever)... as opposed to the more open idea of each player calls a star whatever they want.

User avatar
eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus
Posts: 3858
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:09 pm
Location: USA — midwest

#48 Post by eleazar » Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:26 pm

I was sick and got tired of TV so i compiled a huge list of star names. Most of Drek's names are in there, and i added about 700 more. Most are actual star names, but i included various mythological names, and the names of scientists, sci-fi writers and artists. I deleted all duplicate names, and tried to remove any that could be confused: i.e. "Centaurus" and "Centauri".

And for the curious, the various names are grouped into catagories.

Get a longer list of star names.

I like the idea that each game you play will have a lot of stars with names different from your previous games. It helps to make each game seem unique.

Moriarty
Dyson Forest
Posts: 205
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2003 4:50 pm
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

#49 Post by Moriarty » Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:43 pm

Edison (as found on your list) wasn't a scientist, he was an inventor. Sublte difference.

Your Greek Pantheon list is also a little out of whack:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Gr ... al_figures - you don't have Ares on there for one thing.

Personally I'd skip using the Roman Panetheon at all as most of the more significant figures are already taken for our Solar System, and it doesn't seem right to use the left-overs for the rest of the cosmos.

:)


Offtopic: First time I've heard of Basque's, so that'll be interesting to look into.

User avatar
eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus
Posts: 3858
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:09 pm
Location: USA — midwest

#50 Post by eleazar » Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:34 pm

Moriarty wrote:Edison (as found on your list) wasn't a scientist, he was an inventor. Sublte difference.

Your Greek Pantheon list is also a little out of whack:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Gr ... al_figures - you don't have Ares on there for one thing.

Personally I'd skip using the Roman Panetheon at all as most of the more significant figures are already taken for our Solar System, and it doesn't seem right to use the left-overs for the rest of the cosmos.

If you noticed more of the names on the "scientist" list, you would get the idea that i chose names based on a broad definition of the word "scientist."

I'm make no claims that any of these lists are complete or authoritive lists of whatever, just that they contain names that seem to me suitable for the nameing of stars. I also tried to remove all the names of bodies in the solar system, but probably missed some.

"Ares" is too close to "Aries", as explained earlier i tried to remove names that were similar enough to be easily confused.

User avatar
Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin
Posts: 12249
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 1:33 am
Location: Munich

#51 Post by Geoff the Medio » Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:26 am

What list did you base this on? There was an updated-from-v0.3 one on SVN already:

http://svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/freeo ... iew=markup

Also, you've got a lot of... "weird"... names in the list. A number of these were intentionally excluded from drek's and the SVN list. (drek specifically noted in a post that many of the real star names were weirder-sounding than names from other sources.) IMO it's better to have only good-looking and -sounding names for stars than a have a complete and thorough list of real star names or other themed names. (Though the removal of similar-sounding names is a good idea.)

Also also, you might want to put these categorized names (all of them, including "weird" ones) here:

http://freeorion.org/index.php/Themed_Names

(The ones not added by me weren't edited by me, so don't reflect my stylistic criteria)

User avatar
eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus
Posts: 3858
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:09 pm
Location: USA — midwest

#52 Post by eleazar » Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:56 pm

Geoff the Medio wrote:What list did you base this on? There was an updated-from-v0.3 one on SVN already:

http://svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/freeo ... iew=markup

I made a backup of the base starname file. It's identical to the one linked above.

Geoff the Medio wrote:Also, you've got a lot of... "weird"... names in the list. A number of these were intentionally excluded from drek's and the SVN list. (drek specifically noted in a post that many of the real star names were weirder-sounding than names from other sources.) IMO it's better to have only good-looking and -sounding names for stars than a have a complete and thorough list of real star names or other themed names. (Though the removal of similar-sounding names is a good idea.)
As mentioned previously a complete list is not my goal, but a long list is. Apparently my "weirdness" tolerance is different. I removed a lot of names that i though would make players eye's glaze over. But i didn't want a list that sounded all Greco-Roman, either.

Geoff the Medio wrote:Also also, you might want to put these categorized names (all of them, including "weird" ones) here:

http://freeorion.org/index.php/Themed_Names

(The ones not added by me weren't edited by me, so don't reflect my stylistic criteria)

I did that, but had to make numerous subpages because the wiki only allows about 500 names per page.

User avatar
Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin
Posts: 12249
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 1:33 am
Location: Munich

#53 Post by Geoff the Medio » Sat Oct 07, 2006 3:33 pm

eleazar wrote:Apparently my "weirdness" tolerance is different. I removed a lot of names that i though would make players eye's glaze over. But i didn't want a list that sounded all Greco-Roman, either.

There's certainly a large grey area, and I was rather conservative in my selections, while you appear to have been fairly inclusive. But stuff like "Tximistarri" or "Kaffaljidhmah" or "Manananggal" or "Itxasgorrieta" are just... too many syllables or consonants... at least for me.

[I] had to make numerous subpages because the wiki only allows about 500 names per page.

I moved everything back to the main page. It seemed to work fine. Maybe make multiple smaller edits instead of one big one in future...? I've never seen any limits to the size of wiki pages, other than the warnings that start to appear after pages get big enough, and we've significantly exceeded that repeatedly. The only iffy case was the bottom one, "Other Mythological Creatures", which ends after "Ni", suggesting that more would follow, though there were none in your subpage either...

User avatar
eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus
Posts: 3858
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:09 pm
Location: USA — midwest

#54 Post by eleazar » Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:49 pm

Geoff the Medio wrote:The only iffy case was the bottom one, "Other Mythological Creatures", which ends after "Ni", suggesting that more would follow, though there were none in your subpage either...

Huh, it cropped after "Ni" for me too. Maybe there was an invisible character causing the wiki trouble? I'll check it out later.

EDIT: yeah, it was an invisible character after "Ni". I thought i had converted to ASCII, but i guess that was at an earlier stage. I added the rest of the monsters to the wiki.

I don't really care which names are on the list, if the list is long and contains only distinct names. Weed away at them if you wish.

User avatar
eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus
Posts: 3858
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:09 pm
Location: USA — midwest

#55 Post by eleazar » Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:45 am

Beware.
The game will use the lines that start with "#" as star names too. :?

Locked