For that, I'd like to change the concept from a single part to allow a ship with a Robotic Interface but not necessarily a shield bonus.
The RI:S part would been seen as combining a Robotic Interface with the shield capability.
This would allow easier changes / creation of the following:
- A separate Robotic Interface part.
- A hull with an integrated Robotic Interface (thus not needing the above part).
- Robotic Interface modules/compatible parts with potentially different max capacities (e.g. a shield module that is cheaper than RI:S)
- Gating shield module to research of Force Field Harmonics.
- Increase the max capacity of a module from some effect (e.g. tech upgrade).
Currently the AI is noted as not supporting RI:S, so still needs some support as they use it with asteroid hulls as well (when robotic species).
Guessing that supporting the variable nature robustly might be better suited to address in a character/behavior, where an AI would focus on larger stacks. (same with the Solar Concentrator)
Since it was noted elsewhere, I've lowered the part costs in this branch (needs stringtable updates, costs would not be in scope of a PR).
If other Robotic Interface parts are added later, RI:S might be too cheap, for now I placed it at same cost as Deflector Shield(the +5 shield).
Prior to fighters, RI:S allowed some near invulnerable stacks, shields overall are less effective now.
- Defense Grid: 20/2 (was 30/2)
- Deflector Shield: 35/4 (was 50/4)
- Plasma Shield 60/5 (was 90/5)
- Multi-Spectral Shield: 80/8 (was 100/8)
- Blackshield: 120/6 (was 150/6)