Clouds on Gas Giants and other Sly ideas

Creation, discussion, and balancing of game content such as techs, buildings, ship parts.

Moderators: Oberlus, Committer

Ophiuchus
Programmer

Re: Clouds on Gas Giants and other Sly ideas

#16 Post by Ophiuchus »

Oberlus wrote:I think there is an error in the wiki:
I can't find any condition in GRO_SUBTER_HAB to limit its effect to good and adequate environments, plus the description says Subterranean Habitation affects all environments.
Jip, went one line to low.. should have been Gro_Planet_Ecol. Fixed it. Thank you for catching this
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

labgnome
Juggernaut

#17 Post by labgnome »

So I don't know that having them as specials, or tying growth tot stealth is a good idea.

However I do think that having multiple gas-giant types, like with the regular planets, is probably a good idea if we are going to have gas-giant species. Otherwise their abundance is just way too high, especially combined with their size. Mind you I also think that variable sized gas giants are a good idea as well. Having a range of sizes that at least dipped down into the ranges of the other plants would nerf their inherent size-based bonus a bit. However that would be a much bigger project than what's currently going on.
All of my contributions should be considered released under creative commons attribution share-alike license, CC-BY-SA 3.0 for use in, by and with the Free Orion project.

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#18 Post by LienRag »

labgnome wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:18 am So I don't know that having them as specials, or tying growth tot stealth is a good idea.

However I do think that having multiple gas-giant types, like with the regular planets, is probably a good idea if we are going to have gas-giant species. Otherwise their abundance is just way too high, especially combined with their size. Mind you I also think that variable sized gas giants are a good idea as well. Having a range of sizes that at least dipped down into the ranges of the other plants would nerf their inherent size-based bonus a bit. However that would be a much bigger project than what's currently going on.
AFAIK no one is talking about tying growth to stealth, the OP was having "flavors" of Gas Giants, some (or all, but I don't see the point in that) of them giving Stealth bonus, and also each Gaseous metabolism specie getting a Population bonus from its preferred "flavor".

I like the idea, and I think that having "flavors" (via "Specials" in Ophiuchus's proposition) is better than having really different types as it would be too similar to planets, as would different sizes.

There has been no real explanations of what the effects of the different "flavors" would be though, apart from giving a population bonus to some gaseous species ?
Maybe make Ammonia flavor colonizable by Phototropic metabolism, Water by Organic, Silicate by Lithic (all as poor of course, and probably only with a specific tech quite late in the tree) ?