Fluff Gamma Burst Party Poll

Creation, discussion, and balancing of game content such as techs, buildings, ship parts.

Moderators: Oberlus, Committer

What name should the Gamma Burst Slingshot get

Poll ended at Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:56 pm

Burst Railgun (BR)
10%
Relativistic Sandblaster (RS)
30%
Directed Energy Burst (DEB)
20%
Gamma Burst Slingshot (GBS)
10%
Gamma Burst Shotgun (GBS)
20%
Good Ole Burst Shotgun (GOBS)
10%

Total votes: 10

Ophiuchus
Programmer

Fluff Gamma Burst Party Poll

#1 Post by Ophiuchus »

So we need a nice name/fluff for the Gamma Burst Slingshot. That is a 3-shot ship weapon doing bad damage against shielded ships but doing good damage against unshielded ships and planets which can be upgraded in a tier-like fashion.

How does this poll play?

Please mark all entries you would find acceptable. Highest count is the winner :mrgreen:
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

Re: Fluff Gamma Burst Party Poll

#2 Post by Oberlus »

I would make it target ships and fighters but not planets, feels better fitted depending on fluff. No problem to mount some heavy bombers or regular cannons to do planet damage.

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#3 Post by Ophiuchus »

Call for fluff: why does gunnery skill not help when sandblasting enemies?
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#4 Post by Oberlus »

When shooting beams or bullets you need to predict where will be your enemy when your shot travels the distance to it. For light-speed beams that's easy at very short distances (under a second-light, from here to the moon) but battles can take place at bigger distances so it's not that easy really, and aiming the weapon (which means predicting enemy's movements) becomes rather important.
When shooting a bag of sand at relativistic speeds, that will slowly spread across a wide area while it closes in to the target, you do not need to now exactly where your target will be but the area within it shall be, and thus aiming becomes easier and less critical.

Good enough?

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#5 Post by Geoff the Medio »

"Arc Disruptor"?

labgnome
Juggernaut

#6 Post by labgnome »

Geoff the Medio wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:26 pm "Arc Disruptor"?
I like! Wish I could change my vote now.
All of my contributions should be considered released under creative commons attribution share-alike license, CC-BY-SA 3.0 for use in, by and with the Free Orion project.

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#7 Post by Ophiuchus »

labgnome wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:59 am
If you suggest a nice and usable entry for inclusion into the encyclopedia we could reopen the poll.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#8 Post by Oberlus »

Ophiuchus wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:55 pm
labgnome wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:59 am
If you suggest a nice and usable entry for inclusion into the encyclopedia we could reopen the poll.
I think that should be done for all the entries in the poll.

Many people might have no idea at all what is (how it works in scifi blabber) a Burst Railgun or a Relativistic Sandblaster.
Do we have nice and usable entries for inclusion into the encyclopedia for those or the rest? (I'm not mentioning here the GOBS for some reason).

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#9 Post by Ophiuchus »

Oberlus wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:26 pm
Ophiuchus wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:55 pm suggest a nice and usable entry for inclusion into the encyclopedia
I think that should be done for all the entries in the poll.
Currently we do not really have weapon fluff in the encyclopedia I think. I think the final name of the weapon is really a minor issue, so somebody who likes a name should champion (== do the necessary work) of providing a decent stringtable entry. All other entries will not participate in the reopened poll.

Your fluff entry is nice enough but i think cant be included like that in the stringtables I think.

So we have currently:
  • Gamma Burst Slingshot - The GBS fires multiple missiles which deliver precharged single-use medium range gamma laser into combat range. An autonomous targeting system triggers the gamma ray before point defense can take down the weapon system.
  • Gamma Burst Shotgun - A partly-chaotic release of gamma energy is able to hit multiple targets at once.
  • Relativistic Sandblaster - A mass driver system accelerates a volume of sand to relativistic speed. Ships caught in the slowly expanding cloud of sand get thoroughly damaged. Shields are known to be effective at deflecting the sand particles.
  • Arc Disruptor - ??

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#10 Post by Geoff the Medio »

• Arc Disruptor - Charged polaron capacitors are discharged through a positive emitter coil, and the resulting disruption flux arcs though space between several ships before returning to the negative coil. The disruption flux can be substantially deflected around ship ship shields, however.