Ship and ship parts balancing and flavor ideas

Creation, discussion, and balancing of game content such as techs, buildings, ship parts.

Moderators: Oberlus, Committer

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Ship and ship parts balancing and flavor ideas

#16 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Different log bases produce results that are just different by scale factors out front.

eg. log2(x) = 3*log8(x) = ln(x)/ln(2)

Since FO script only support natural log (ln = log base e), it's explicitly just a matter of picking the scale factor anyway.

If you want a different shape, consider square root (with an appropriate scale factor).

OllyG
Space Kraken

#17 Post by OllyG »

If you want this to be something just for robotic fleets, why not make it a property of the hull rather than a ship part? They could be banned from having standard shields.

Seems silly to have this and then let players build robotic fleets which aren't networked.

Should allies network with each other? (when allies are in.)

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#18 Post by Dilvish »

yandonman wrote:log2(N)... trails off too fast for my taste. I ... settled on log 1.2 (N)...capped that at N-1, and then further capped that at 25 (to prevent invincibility).... Does this feel about right?
Several of the later hulls in this line have multiple internal slots, so it looks to me like you could have a shield plus this effect, so slower growth closer to log base 2 seems more appropriate and the cap would have to be much lower than 25 to not make your fleets invincible.

If you could revise the patch to something between log 1.2 and log 2 I'll try to give it a test run one of these days. Lately I haven't had a lot of time for testing things I'd like to test, though, so no promises when. Perhaps we can get Matt and others to help test it too.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Geoff the Medio

#19 Post by Geoff the Medio »

I suggest again square root, scaled appropriately. It rises less sharply and continues increasing more gradually for larger numbers...
Attachments
plot of scaled log and sqrt functions
plot of scaled log and sqrt functions
log_vs_sqrt.png (14.57 KiB) Viewed 2253 times

yandonman
Creative Contributor

#20 Post by yandonman »

(Graphics card on home machine died, new computer en route. Merry Christmas to me. Content development likely delayed ~1 week)

My current implementation/thinking is this. If someone wants to toss these into the above patch and try that out in the short term and see how it plays/balances, that'd be cool.
  • Growth function:
    • Goals:
      • No more than +1 shield per networked ship.
      • Reach cap somewhere around 100 ships. - 100 is realtively arbitrary.
    • Function candidates: - I'd be comfortable with either at this point in time.
      • =min(min( (N-1), sqr-root(N-1) * 3 ), 25)
      • =min(min( (N-1), ln(N) * 5.5), 25)
  • Hard cap at 25 - prevent invincibility
  • Added the generic shield stackinggroup to the effect. - Simplifies implementation. Prevents invincibility by stacking multiple networked shields and/or in conjunction with regular shield parts.
  • Made buildtime = 4
  • Cost: 70 + tax
Code released under GPL 2.0. Content released under GPL 2.0 and Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0.

yandonman
Creative Contributor

#21 Post by yandonman »

Above changes implemented in this patch.
Attachments

[The extension patch has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Code released under GPL 2.0. Content released under GPL 2.0 and Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0.

Dilvish

#22 Post by Dilvish »

I'll try to get around to a test game or 2 with that patch this weekend
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

yandonman
Creative Contributor

#23 Post by yandonman »

My notes on a few play-throughs:
* Organics are still more powerful
* Has a power spike at early mid game, and then another at early late game.
* Is weak in the early game as well as late game.
* Fractals are still more powerful

yandonman
Creative Contributor

#24 Post by yandonman »

Any update here?

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#25 Post by MatGB »

Getting my head clear with some of the testing.

And, um, getting distracted playign with Dilvish's starnames code and tryign to sort out my en.txt patch.

I think, on balance, that organics and asteroids are roughly balanced against each other, with the heavy asteroid being far overpowered for the stage of the game it can appear in but being, currently, needed to balance the overpowered against everything else organic/xeno line.

I need to write that up properly and do some cost analysis for what I'd do with the fractals &c.

We definitely need to either up the costs of organics, asteroids and energy lines or reduce the costs of the other lines, I'm inclined to do a bit of both with more emphasis on increases on the problematic hulls but with some decreases on the basic and robotic hulls.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

yandonman
Creative Contributor

#26 Post by yandonman »

... wrt the Robotic Interface: Shields part?

unjashfan
Creative Contributor

#27 Post by unjashfan »

overpowered against everything else organic/xeno line
I think this is the case not only because these hulls are extremely easy to spam, but also for the fact that they can navigate the map very quickly (even more so with fractals since they're faster). The production cost definitely needs some kind of increase, but slowing these guys down might be a good way to make them less OP.

For the constructed hulls, most of them never even get unlocked since the hulls, the corresponding techs, and shipyards are ridiculously expensive. After a couple playthroughs with various settings, I find that it's pretty much always easier to unlock the fractals, PP and RP wise. I think the techs/hulls can be separated into 3 branches based on size. Here's a possible tech setup (also has suggested RP cost changes):
ContHullChart.png
ContHullChart.png (17.5 KiB) Viewed 2182 times
Here's some hull changes to go with the techs (haven't been tested since I don't know if the AI will break):
ContHullChart2.png
ContHullChart2.png (26.17 KiB) Viewed 2182 times

yandonman
Creative Contributor

#28 Post by yandonman »

Can we commit this patch?

Geoff the Medio

#29 Post by Geoff the Medio »

yandonman wrote:Can we commit this patch?
After Dilvish or others comment on testing it, maybe.

Dilvish

#30 Post by Dilvish »

I had gotten distracted by the starnames thing and other matters, sorry. I've started a game now with the patch, I'll try to get a couple games in by the coming weekend