CreatePlanet

Creation, discussion, and balancing of game content such as techs, buildings, ship parts.

Moderators: Oberlus, Committer

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

Re: CreatePlanet

#16 Post by Dilvish »

em3 wrote:
Geoff the Medio wrote:What does "it just dont work!" mean? You could be more specific without quoting a specific error message...
I think that the poster means that the desired behavior is not reached...
There were quite a number of desired behaviors here; knowing if any of them worked, or none of them, would help focus a review of the script. Although the OP's phrasing does somewhat suggest that nothing happened, it's also possible that the script did something, but just nothing right. Making an assumption about that when the OP could simply tell us doesn't seem like a good practice.

And Lo! while I was writing this the OP has posted and it sounds like indeed, some portions did work. Ok, and how while I was writing the rest of this the OP posted again and said that nothing worked. hmm. I'll address the rest of this to the OP.

StGW44 -- I'll start with what struck me at first -- I suggest you be more consistent with indentations; that would make reviewing scripts like this easier -- it looks like there are a number of places where you didn't indent, and others where you dedented when you should have indented, or else there is a mixture of tabs and spaces that is not displaying well here. Also please show the entire EffectsGroup, not just the scope. It looks like you have tested part of it since you say one part of the scope worked, it would help if you explained that a little more in the accompanying text.

Looking over it a little more I am wondering if the new OrderedBombardedBy condition applies to buildings, or only planets. Why don't you try the much simpler

Code: Select all

scope = And [
    Building
    ContainedBy OrderedBombardedBy condition = Source
]
If you think some part works and not others, please be clear about why you think that.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

StGW44
Space Floater

#17 Post by StGW44 »

Hello Dilvish,
thanks to you, too
Seems I am keeping halve the crew from working and I am starting to feel a bit guilty about that...
First off... I am using FO 0.4.3+(SVN 6824) to play with and the Notepad++(R) to edit the files. This editor has a few nice features and is slim and fast... it also checks the brackets and highlights the matching pairs, so this will not be the cause of all my troubles. It is mostly in between my ears, but dont tell anyone! ;-)
The code I write is ALWAYS nice and neat, indented as it is suppose to be because I DO KNOW about the consequence when you write a few 100 lines of code in between the brackets... unfortunately, copy and paste from my editor has produced unsatisfactory results and my attempts to manually fix them didnt go too well!
Your remarks are absolutely valid, I have been a bit to vague about my praktice of testing...
I write the EffectsGroup as I think it would work, then I go ahead and safe my progress and start the game. If I can play it and the parts show up, i go for further testing... if not, I use my two best friends on the keyboard, as they are "/" and "*", together they work like a charm! ;-)
I mark out lines of code until I get to a working condition again, then working my way backwards back to the problem...if possible!
As to testing THIS little project of mine... I noticed, that messing with the ship_parts.txt will cause almost no parts to show up in the Ship-Parts section of the game. That has been my indication so far. Meaning, I am coding, saving, playing.... over and over again! Tiresome at times, but mostly fun, too!
Side note: I am plugging in my TV to the Laptop to play with FO but most of the time, the game wont start with the HDMI-cable connected. Removing the cabel (freeing the resources of the extrenal graphics card, I suppose) makes the game start without any problem. Any idea where this comes from?? It is not consistent, which also dazzles me!
Best regards,
Robert

StGW44
Space Floater

#18 Post by StGW44 »

Dilvish wrote: Looking over it a little more I am wondering if the new OrderedBombardedBy condition applies to buildings, or only planets. Why don't you try the much simpler

Code: Select all

scope = And [
    Building
    ContainedBy OrderedBombardedBy condition = Source
]
If you think some part works and not others, please be clear about why you think that.
Seems that did the trick!!!
You're the man!!! ;-)
Thanks for your help and maybe one of you "enlightened guys" has some spare time to go over the scripting manual again and make it a bit more up to date and comprehensible! It'd be so much apprechiated!!!!!!!!!
THANK YOU, GUYS!!!!!!!