DESIGN: Growth Category

Creation, discussion, and balancing of game content such as techs, buildings, ship parts.

Moderators: Oberlus, Committer

Aquitaine
Lead Designer Emeritus

DESIGN: Growth Category

#1 Post by Aquitaine »

This thread contains guided discussion for the contents of the Growth category. It is moderated by Tyreth.

Specific rules for this thread as set by the moderator are as follows:

* No scratching
* No biting
* No name calling
Surprise and Terror! I am greeted by the smooth and hostile face of our old enemy, the Hootmans! No... the Huge-glands, no, I remember, the Hunams!

Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

#2 Post by Tyreth »

This thread is concerned with the growth category. For 0.3, growth is primarily concerned with farming, population, and I'll include health unless corrected.

Some buildings may have crossover effects into other categories, but we should remember that this is the primary area. So, it is your job to come up with ideas for:
* theories
* applications
* refinements

For each tech you should provide, where possible:
* A name - (Intelligent Vaccines)
* Fluff description - (Scientists worked with artificially controlled mutations in vaccines to develop one that could adapt to changing conditions. This enabled them to eliminate some of the most fundamental problems with bacteria developing immunities by having the vaccine develop with it) - not necessary, but may help us later on. Feel free to be creative with quotes. Fluff will be adjusted, rejected or accepted at a later date as fits the game, but it doesn't hurt to start now.
* Effects - (+2 Max Health Meter on all planets)
* Cost and Time - eg 10 turns at 5RP each turn
* Prerequisites - List specifics if it is another tech from the growth category. If you think there should be a prerequisite from another category, don't specify what - just write <Theory Req from Production>. We'll add them in later once the categories have been completed

When creating effects for your technology, use this document. Please take the time to read it and understand before posting your submissions.
http://www.freeorion.org/wiki/index.php?title=Effects
Also, the 0.3 requirements may come in handy:
http://www.freeorion.org/wiki/index.php ... quirements

We will need to decide on themes and directions for the growth category, including where we want it to take the game early, mid and late.

New: Present all techs in XML format according to this thread: viewtopic.php?t=986
Last edited by Tyreth on Tue Dec 14, 2004 1:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

Prokonsul Piotrus
Space Kraken

#3 Post by Prokonsul Piotrus »

Since construction team started discussing infrastructure, I posted my infrastructure levels idea there. Since it definelty overlaps with some growth things, you may want to take a look at it.

Question: is this the thread for terraforming-related ideas (i.e. dealing with PlanetSize, PlanetPopulation, PlanetEnviroment values)?

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

#4 Post by utilae »

Some useful 'tools' (variables) for making growth techs:
----------------------------------------------------------------------
CurrentFarming
MaxFarming
FoodStockpile
FoodProduction
CurrentHealth
MaxHealth
CurrentPopulation
MaxPopulation
PlanetSize
PlanetType
PlanetEnvironment

Other Useful variables:
---------------------------
ObjectType
StarType
PrimaryFocus
SecondaryFocus
Owner
ID

skdiw
Creative Contributor

#5 Post by skdiw »

Theory: Applied Drugs
Description: By understanding the relationship between biochemicals and its functions, new drugs can be develop to enhance bodily functions.
Effects: application of Coke

Application: Coke
Description: Coke is a powerful mind alternating agent that may strongly increases your population's sexual drive.
Effects: pop growth +10%

Refinement: Legalized Coke
Description: "I'm busy!" (XXX times 100)
Effects: pop growth +100%!
Additional effect: allows you to build the wonder "Party like the 70s," which doubles your current pop
Prerequisite: yo mama!...-ship

Theory: High Culture
Description: Education dramatically increases one's awareness about health and enviornment. A highly cultured society will more likely to propagate and less likely to die prematurely.
Effect: application of Controversial Artforms

Application: Controversial Artforms
Dexription: Controversial artforms helps the younger generations to practice so they know how use their tool correctly and more effectively.
Effect: Pop growth + 10%

Refinement: Controversial Artform + Intergalactic network
Description: Consult your *.jpg files.
Effects: wait...WAIT... ahhhh... + 1 UP!
Additional effect: +10% maxHealth if also have Liquid Keyboard Covers and self-cleaning TP

Refinement: Advanced Foreplay
Description: Proper scratching, biting, and name calling will help stimulate and arouse your partner, which allows climax to start earlier. However, Advanced Foreplay have been know to damage your health.
Effects: pop growth +10%, soldier health -1 HP
Prequisite: Laser Whips
:mrgreen:

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

#6 Post by utilae »

Soldier Cloning Program (Application)
+20% millitary personnal growth rate
+10% crime (illegal clones, identity theft)
"Cloning soldiers is a faster way to replace soldiers killed in action, rather than recruiting new soldiers. With cloning comes its misuse, resulting in a rise in crime and a need for more controls."

Soldier Cybernetics Implants (Refinement)
+10% millitary personnal physical form
+5% crime (criminals are physically stronger)
"Soldiers with cybernetic implants are able to move faster, are stronger and can fight better, as well as having a greater survival ability. Greater controls are needed to restrict development of cybernetic implants by criminals."

AI Soldiers (Application)
+30% millitary personnal growth rate
+5% millitary personnal physical fo
+25% chance of "AI Rebelion' event
"Building AI soldiers is so much faster then recruiting new soldiers or growing them. AI Soldiers are also much stronger than standard soldiers, however, because AI soldiers are intelligent, the threat exist of an AI rebelion."

Tieom
Space Krill

#7 Post by Tieom »

Nanomedicine (Theory)
The study of the use of nanomachines to extend life and increase health.
+1 Health Meter Maximum on all worlds.
Pre-reqs: Nanomachinery (Or the like, probably in Production or Construction field)

Regeneratives (Application)
Short-lived nanomachines that assist the body to rapidly heal almost any injury.
+1 Current Health Meter on all worlds.
(Possible Effect: Decreases casualties from ground combat)
Prereqs: Nanomedicine

Pervasive Nanomeds (Application)
The creation of nanomachines that will be spread throughout the population, and can help every organism with its own maintenance without specific instruction. Increases lifespan and survival rate dramatically.
+3 to Current Health Meter on all worlds.
+4 to Maximum Health Meter on all worlds.
(Possible Effects: +25% resistance to Bioweapons/Plague/Polution)
Pre-reqs: Regeneratives, (Some sort of AI tech)

Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

#8 Post by Tyreth »

Prokonsul Piotrus wrote: Question: is this the thread for terraforming-related ideas (i.e. dealing with PlanetSize, PlanetPopulation, PlanetEnviroment values)?
Leave terraforming itself alone, but other effects that you mention may be included in Growth. So,
* PlanetSize - In Civ this included things like Aqueduct and in SMAC Hab Complex. Those are techs that are related to both growth and construction I would say, and so have crossover. Hard to say. Put them here if you like and include prerequisites from construction
* PlanetPopulation - Definitely belongs to here
* PlanetEnvironment - As long as it's not touching terraforming, then it can be included here - but again, it may have crossover with another category.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#9 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Tyreth wrote:* PlanetSize - In Civ this included things like Aqueduct and in SMAC Hab Complex. Those are techs that are related to both growth and construction I would say, and so have crossover. Hard to say. Put them here if you like and include prerequisites from construction
I think you mean MaxPopulation, not PlanetSize...? PlanetSize is the actual physical size of the ball of rock you're living on, which is one of Tiny, Small, Huge, Asteroid Field, etc. MaxPopulation is... well... the Max Population of a planet, which is equivalent to what Hab Complexes and Aqueducts increased in SMAC / Civ.

Things that, IMO, this category should be concerned with changing are:
-MaxFarming
-CurrentFarming
-MaxHealth
-CurrentHealth
-FoodStockpile
-FoodProduction
-PlanetPopulation
-MaxPopulation (as above)

(Edit: which is basically the list utilae gave, without PlanetEnvironment, PlanetSize or PlanetType)

Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

#10 Post by Tyreth »

Geoff the Medio wrote: I think you mean MaxPopulation, not PlanetSize...? PlanetSize is the actual physical size of the ball of rock you're living on, which is one of Tiny, Small, Huge, Asteroid Field, etc. MaxPopulation is... well... the Max Population of a planet, which is equivalent to what Hab Complexes and Aqueducts increased in SMAC / Civ.
Yes, you're right - so leave PlanetSize out of this category.

PowerCrazy
Creative Contributor

#11 Post by PowerCrazy »

Prokonsul Piotrus wrote:Since construction team started discussing infrastructure, I posted my infrastructure levels idea there. Since it definelty overlaps with some growth things, you may want to take a look at it.

Question: is this the thread for terraforming-related ideas (i.e. dealing with PlanetSize, PlanetPopulation, PlanetEnviroment values)?
Well for Version 0.3 construction is analogous with growth. I'm not actually all that opposed for everything that is decided for growth to apply equally for construction. I think it would be a good balance. But we will see.
Aquitaine is my Hero.... ;)

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

#12 Post by utilae »

Vertical Habitation (Application)
+10 Max Population on all worlds that have acheived 75% of their natural population limit
Prerequisites: Vertical Construction Theory (found in Construction)
"When there is no room on the ground surface for housing, there is always more room in the sky. Vertical habitation introduces stacking housing into vertical skyscrappers that reach to the skies."

Underground Habitation (Application)
+10 Max Population on all worlds that have acheived 95% of their natural population limit or on all worlds that are considered uninhabitable on the surface."
-10% Morale
+10% Population Security (safe from bombing, and most dangers)
Prerequisites: Underground Construction Theory (found in Construction)
"When there is no room on the ground surface or even in the sky, as a lost resort living underground is the only solution. Although the lack of sunlight can be hard on many citizens living underground, living underground does provide a great amount of protection from the various dangers of the surface."

Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

#13 Post by Tyreth »

I've updated my first post in this thread to include tech costs and turn commitments, and also a requirement to publish in XML. If you haven't taken a look at the thread linked to in bold, do so before posting anything more to this thread - or any tech tree one for that matter.

From now on all techs must be contributed in XML format. So please resubmit all the techs you have done so far in that format. Editing your post would probably be the best way, rather than a new post.

Bastian-Bux
Creative Contributor

#14 Post by Bastian-Bux »

I'd like to throw in something:

in science thread we stumbled over the importance of max_pop for all the other meters.

As all other meters are multiplied with your current_pop, and current_pop is capped by max_pop i'd ask you to stay civilized with max_pop increases.

Else we can invent as much techs as we want in the other threads and still the only thing that counts is how fast can you max your pop.
Wenn du die Macht hättest die Geschichte zu ändern, wo würdest du anfangen. Und viel wichtiger, wo aufhören?

If you had the power to change history, where would you start? And more importantly, where would you stop?

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

#15 Post by utilae »

Tyreth wrote: From now on all techs must be contributed in XML format. So please resubmit all the techs you have done so far in that format. Editing your post would probably be the best way, rather than a new post.
The problem with submitting techs in XML format is that it will take a looong time, so don't expect my techs that I've posted to be edited for sometime, heh.