Please read the design/effects document!

Creation, discussion, and balancing of game content such as techs, buildings, ship parts.

Moderators: Oberlus, Committer

tzlaine
Programming Lead Emeritus

#61 Post by tzlaine »

pd wrote:tzlaine, i did this of course...

i'm using the gigil.dll from the v0.2 release... maybe there is a new one?
Uh-oh. This is a problem. I'll add the latest versions of gigi to the zipfile, but the new ones won't work with the v0.2 executable, so just run everything from within the unzipped designer-tools.zip. I'll change the documentation to reflect this. Download it again in about 10 minutes.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#62 Post by pd »

great, thanks.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#63 Post by Geoff the Medio »

tzlaine wrote:
Geoff the Medio wrote: How is a nonexistant prereq that causes a crash not a glaring mistake?
There are other things that you can do to cause a crash. The point is that I can't be spending all my time writing this little utility app when I have to write most of the FO code as well. It will never catch everything, and I'm not going to work on it much more, if any.
I don't want it to catch everything... I just want it to catch references to prereqs that aren't defined. This seems like one of the most basic and important things for a utility like this to do.

If you won't, I may take a look at adding/fixing it. I don't suppose you have working msvc project files for tech-check and the other DesignerTools?

tzlaine
Programming Lead Emeritus

#64 Post by tzlaine »

Geoff the Medio wrote:
tzlaine wrote:
Geoff the Medio wrote: How is a nonexistant prereq that causes a crash not a glaring mistake?
There are other things that you can do to cause a crash. The point is that I can't be spending all my time writing this little utility app when I have to write most of the FO code as well. It will never catch everything, and I'm not going to work on it much more, if any.
I don't want it to catch everything... I just want it to catch references to prereqs that aren't defined. This seems like one of the most basic and important things for a utility like this to do.

If you won't, I may take a look at adding/fixing it.
That would be fine by me. I just don't have the time.
I don't suppose you have working msvc project files for tech-check and the other DesignerTools?
No, but that's because there aren't any. You need to install Python and SCons. SCons is an alternative build system that works on virtually any platform. You can get it at http://www.scons.org . You need to alter your PATH environment variable globally or within the shell in which you run SCons (preferably a "Visual Studio .NET Command Prompt" console) to include your python directory, then just type "scons".

BreadMan
Space Squid

#65 Post by BreadMan »

Where can I find msvcp71d.dll? I tried renaming msvcp71.dll and all I get is a huge page of errors and a crash, so I'm assuming that's not a viable workaround :P I'm an artist not a programmer, so apologies if I'm doing something boneheaded.
Good afternoon! This is the Earth Alliance embassy diplomatic office. My name is Alex. How may I assist you?
HUMANS! BLAUGHRAN EMPIRE CLAIMS PLANET KREIGHTON! YOU GIVE RAY GUN SCIENCE OR BLAUGHRANS DESTROY HUMANS ON KREIGHTON!!!

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#66 Post by pd »

google for it.

BreadMan
Space Squid

#67 Post by BreadMan »

Umm...?

Good afternoon! This is the Earth Alliance embassy diplomatic office. My name is Alex. How may I assist you?
HUMANS! BLAUGHRAN EMPIRE CLAIMS PLANET KREIGHTON! YOU GIVE RAY GUN SCIENCE OR BLAUGHRANS DESTROY HUMANS ON KREIGHTON!!!

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#68 Post by pd »

hmm, not sure what's going on there, but it seems something is wrong with your stringtable. there shouldn't be html tags in there. try doing this:

- extract the designer tools into a new(empty) folder
- make sure all needed dlls are in there too(msvcp71.dll, msvcp71d.dll, msvcr71.dll, ...)
- create a sub folder called 'default'
- put in the techs.xml and eng_stingtable.txt from the CVS(make sure you really got the .txt and .xml file and not this cvs site -> click on view and/or download)
- start tech-view.exe

should work like a charm.

Geoff the Medio

#69 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Edit: tzlaine updated CVS, so the eng_stringtable.txt and techs.xml I'd posted here are redundant

Brad
Space Krill

Re: Please read the design/effects document!

#70 Post by Brad »

Forgive me if I'm overlooking something, but this thread refers to tech documentation hosted here:

http://www.freeorion.org/wiki/index.php?title=Effects

but this page is unavailable.

Is work on the tech tree slowing down to focus on the combat system/v0.4 items?

As I read through the wiki and the forums I'm trying to get an idea of the state of the project and see where I can contribute. I'm not sure if I need to knock out the bugs listed on sourceforge and spit out an idea every once in a while in the forums, or if I can put together some tech tree additions, work on descriptions, propose modifiers and post them here for the devs.

Any direction would be quite helpful.

Geoff the Medio

Re: Please read the design/effects document!

#71 Post by Geoff the Medio »

This thread is very out of date. The link can be fixed by removing the /wiki part, or you can find the Effects document by searching on the wiki / freeorion.org main page.

The tech tree is not receiving any official attention now, and won't until ships and combat stuff is designed enough to be able to plan the basic layout of ships-related tech.

If you want to make some techs to fill out the existing tree, feel free. A lot of the current content is temporary though, so it's probably not the best use of your time.