Sixteen game on the multiplayer slow game server

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

drkosy
Space Dragon

Re: Sixteen game on the multiplayer slow game server

#16 Post by drkosy »

We already finished 15th game.
Is there already a date to start the next game? Recently I could spend some 10 Minutes a day for the game so if you start quickly I would join.
Then influence cost factor rule should be introduced as well.
I think that would be a great thing
Want some fresh experience? Try Kosymod

o01eg
Programmer

#17 Post by o01eg »

drkosy wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 5:47 am
We already finished 15th game.
Is there already a date to start the next game? Recently I could spend some 10 Minutes a day for the game so if you start quickly I would join.
I suppose I'll start test game 11th of May and actual game 13th of May.
drkosy wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 5:47 am
Then influence cost factor rule should be introduced as well.
I think that would be a great thing
It isn't yet implemented.
Gentoo Linux x64, gcc-11.2, boost-1.78.0
Ubuntu Server 22.04 x64, gcc-12, boost-1.74.0
Welcome to the slow multiplayer game at freeorion-lt.dedyn.io.Version 2024-01-30.0dd6806.
Donations're welcome:BTC:bc1q007qldm6eppqcukewtfkfcj0naut9njj7audnm

drkosy
Space Dragon

#18 Post by drkosy »

I suppose I'll start test game 11th of May and actual game 13th of May.
OK, I should be able to manage to play than, so book me in.
It isn't yet implemented.
I know and don't know how much work that is to do. I just thought it could be implemented till start of game...

For me it's OK to test the system as is now. Maybe we learn a lot about IP management. In single player I tested some tech changes, e.g. psionics gives a flat IP production bonus to colonies with high stability. Could be a quick solution though :)

o01eg
Programmer

#19 Post by o01eg »

What do you think about non-ring galaxy? Many latest games used ring galaxy, maybe try something other?
Welcome to the slow multiplayer game at freeorion-lt.dedyn.io.Version 2024-01-30.0dd6806.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#20 Post by Oberlus »

o01eg wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 8:34 pm What do you think about non-ring galaxy? Many latest games used ring galaxy, maybe try something other?
Yes!

Anything can be right, I think.

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#21 Post by LienRag »

I will not play unless this bug is fixed.
It's not possible to develop any real strategy if the UI keeps giving false information.

And yes I know that mistakenly chose the wrong Snap channel for the test game shown in the link, but I had met a very similar bug (where on some planets the Stability predicted by the UI was entirely different from the actual Stability that was happening) in an older game when first testing Influence on the Beta channel.

drkosy
Space Dragon

#22 Post by drkosy »

Many latest games used ring galaxy, maybe try something other?
What about that box-galaxy? Spiral-galaxy could be annoying for someone starting in the middle while all others are in the arms...
I will not play unless this bug is fixed.
Played at least 3 exessive games with master (downloaded at 21-04-24) and never hat issues with wrong calculation of stability. There might be other stuff like some unbalanced things (stability requirement of nascent AI) but I like to play nevertheless, because for me it is some kind of alpha-testing the latest innovations...

@oO1eg: Could you post the detailed version I need to play, or just tell me if v0.10+ downloaded and build at 2021-04-24 is sufficient.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#23 Post by Oberlus »

LienRag wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 12:08 pm I will not play unless this bug is fixed.
It's not possible to develop any real strategy if the UI keeps giving false information.

And yes I know that mistakenly chose the wrong Snap channel for the test game shown in the link, but I had met a very similar bug (where on some planets the Stability predicted by the UI was entirely different from the actual Stability that was happening) in an older game when first testing Influence on the Beta channel.
I don't have that bug. You sure you are using the version in master?

o01eg
Programmer

#24 Post by o01eg »

drkosy wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 1:17 pm What about that box-galaxy? Spiral-galaxy could be annoying for someone starting in the middle while all others are in the arms...
Looks nice.
drkosy wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 1:17 pm @oO1eg: Could you post the detailed version I need to play, or just tell me if v0.10+ downloaded and build at 2021-04-24 is sufficient.
I will use weekly test build version that will be published Tuesday, 11th of May.

drkosy
Space Dragon

#25 Post by drkosy »

I will use weekly test build version that will be published Tuesday, 11th of May.
Thanks for the information :) I'll do a fresh compile on that day than.

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#26 Post by LienRag »

Oberlus wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 1:52 pm I don't have that bug. You sure you are using the version in master?
Which Snap channel is the version in master ?

And no, I made a mistake when choosing the channel and used "edge" which has some custom modifications
from Ophiuchus (AFAIK).
But it's not the first time I had this bug when testing the Influence and likes/dislikes mechanism, and the last time it was through the Beta channel if my memory's not defective.
So I don't believe that the bug is linked to Ophiuchus' modifications.

Geoff mentioned a script going awry when getting negative numbers as its base inputs, that is a realistic hypothesis, but I believe that this script hasn't been identified yet (nor the hypothesis that such a scrip exist been ruled out).

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#27 Post by Ophiuchus »

LienRag wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:18 pm Which Snap channel is the version in master ?
...not the first time I had this bug when testing the Influence and likes/dislikes mechanism, and the last time it was through the Beta channel if my memory's not defective.
Its possible geoff fixed it in master since then. Expect "edge" to cut you. its usually following weekly test builds (because i do my smoketest there). There is no channel following master currently.

Beta is following weekly-test-builds (if that weekly-test-builds is not known to be seriously broken).

LienRag wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:18 pm Geoff mentioned a script going awry when getting negative numbers as its base inputs, that is a realistic hypothesis, but I believe that this script hasn't been identified yet (nor the hypothesis that such a scrip exist been ruled out).
It was a hypothesis which could explain such a behavior, nothing more. You could go and code review the influence effects or wait for the bug to resurface with a better base (e.g. beta channel).

If you guys need a snap build for your game, i can publish one on a temporary channel.
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#28 Post by Oberlus »

Ophiuchus wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:51 am Beta is following weekly-test-builds (if that weekly-test-builds is not known to be seriously broken).
[...]
If you guys need a snap build for your game, i can publish one on a temporary channel.
Beta is perfect, we will play using the weekly test build of tomorrow (and switching to a newer one only if necessary for bug fix, AFAIK).

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#29 Post by Ophiuchus »

Oberlus wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 11:46 am
Ophiuchus wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:51 am Beta is following weekly-test-builds (if that weekly-test-builds is not known to be seriously broken).
[...]
Beta is perfect, we will play using the weekly test build of tomorrow (and switching to a newer one only if necessary for bug fix, AFAIK).
In that case beta channel is not good. I will follow the weekly test builds in beta.
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#30 Post by Oberlus »

Well, can users of snap "freeze" their installation somehow? I don't use it myself (and I wouldn't like to use a software that doesn't ask me before updating itself).