Twentieth game on the multiplayer slow game server

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

BlueAward
Vacuum Dragon

Re: Twentieth game on the multiplayer slow game server

#466 Post by BlueAward »

o01eg wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:34 am
Daybreak wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:37 pm
o01eg wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:47 pm End date not yet set.
o01leg - I am unsure of your timing for set up or how long it takes to set up a new game, so please chime in here..

I propose we we end game on the 23rd Aug, so we can start new game just after Bluebird is back and Endhu will be back 21/8/22
Looks fine for me.
Who is Bluebird? ;) Note I am back on 24th rather than 23rd, and late at night/after travel so can start on 25th, really

Daybreak
Vacuum Dragon

#467 Post by Daybreak »

ooops :lol: as Wobbly said, I think I have been seeing his Bluebird ships too much

thats ok - there will probably be some test games, for a few days, to check the game on the server.

o01eg
Programmer

#468 Post by o01eg »

BlueAward wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:56 am Who is Bluebird? ;) Note I am back on 24th rather than 23rd, and late at night/after travel so can start on 25th, really
It could be moved several days further as I want to make OS upgrade and try recent features I've added.
Gentoo Linux x64, gcc-11.2, boost-1.78.0
Ubuntu Server 22.04 x64, gcc-12, boost-1.74.0
Welcome to the slow multiplayer game at freeorion-lt.dedyn.io.Version 2024-03-15.b3de094.
Donations're welcome:BTC:bc1q007qldm6eppqcukewtfkfcj0naut9njj7audnm

Daybreak
Vacuum Dragon

#469 Post by Daybreak »

o01eg wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:18 pm
BlueAward wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:56 am Who is Bluebird? ;) Note I am back on 24th rather than 23rd, and late at night/after travel so can start on 25th, really
It could be moved several days further as I want to make OS upgrade and try recent features I've added.
I think everyone would agree that you do what you need to.

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#470 Post by wobbly »

A note on victory conditions, I actually find single victor only extremely artificial in a game with diplomacy. Its the normal state in pretty much every game I've played for teams of 2 to arise. It's not normal for players to want to break that alliance, just because some stupid game rule says so. I doubt Endhu and Daybreak actually want to go to war, same as I don't particularly want to go to war with Oberlus.

Daybreak
Vacuum Dragon

#471 Post by Daybreak »

wobbly wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:56 am A note on victory conditions, I actually find single victor only extremely artificial in a game with diplomacy. Its the normal state in pretty much every game I've played for teams of 2 to arise. It's not normal for players to want to break that alliance, just because some stupid game rule says so. I doubt Endhu and Daybreak actually want to go to war, same as I don't particularly want to go to war with Oberlus.
Agree
But even if you had a game with a single winner, and no diplomacy, then players may make deals outside the game anyway, even if they dont share supply lines.

Maybe I can still provide some entertainment so you don't have to. Even if that is reducing me to debris and rubble :shock:

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#472 Post by Oberlus »

I wouldn't mind not playing diplomacy-enabled single-player-victory games anymore. We still have:
- Single-player-victory no-diplomacy.
- Flexible teams with 2+ winners.
- Fixed teams.

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#473 Post by LienRag »

wobbly wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:56 am It's not normal for players to want to break that alliance, just because some stupid game rule says so.
You're really getting things wrong here.
It's not "some stupid game rule", it's the game objective.

That means that you go into an alliance while knowing that you're gonna need to break it, which creates a whole diplomatic game (when are you going to break it ? And more importantly, when is your ally going to break it ?).

If you don't like that type of game, it's fine, don't play them.
But what you're saying is akin to question in a game of chess "it's not normal to want to move my king when it's checked just because some stupid game rule says so".

One doesn't play a game the way he likes and then asks for the rules to follow one's playstyle, it's the opposite : you learn the rules and create your playstyle accordingly.

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#474 Post by wobbly »

LienRag wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:43 pm But what you're saying is akin to question in a game of chess "it's not normal to want to move my king when it's checked just because some stupid game rule says so".
Not really no. It's more comparable to the time control. e.g. Something you can have a preference for. A preference you'll note was shared by other players.
LienRag wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:43 pm One doesn't play a game the way he likes and then asks for the rules to follow one's playstyle, it's the opposite : you learn the rules and create your playstyle accordingly.

Maybe 1 day you'll listen to your own advice, and not get wiped so easily. :)

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#475 Post by Oberlus »

LienRag wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:43 pm You're really getting things wrong here.
It's not "some stupid game rule", it's the game objective.
Actually, it is you who is really getting things wrong here. And making things worse. It is because of your rightful use of English, if you let me tell you. But nothing to do with not being native speaker, these problems you have, you also have them talking to French people in French.

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#476 Post by wobbly »

LienRag wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:13 pm Are you sure they/we can't prevent you from winning by Transcendance ?
Maybe at the time of post. I'm pretty sure at this stage I'll reach it 1st. Under 80 turns and dropping fast.

Daybreak
Vacuum Dragon

#477 Post by Daybreak »

wobbly wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:35 am
LienRag wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:13 pm Are you sure they/we can't prevent you from winning by Transcendance ?
Maybe at the time of post. I'm pretty sure at this stage I'll reach it 1st. Under 80 turns and dropping fast.
What you can win by researching Transcendance?

isnt that a bit of a hollow victory?

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#478 Post by wobbly »

Daybreak wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:48 am
wobbly wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:35 am
What you can win by researching Transcendance?

isnt that a bit of a hollow victory?
What makes it more or less hollow then other victory conditions? If you roll someones last colony/ship then you won a century ago and wasted a whole bunch of time just going through the motions.

Anyway the more interesting question is whether its at the right point RP-wise.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#479 Post by Oberlus »

If an empire can withstand whatever the enemies throw at it and still get till the end of Transcendence tech and be the first one to do it, then yes, this empire has achieved a great victory (if RP balance is OK, obviously).

Daybreak
Vacuum Dragon

#480 Post by Daybreak »

Oberlus wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:39 pm If an empire can withstand whatever the enemies throw at it and still get till the end of Transcendence tech and be the first one to do it, then yes, this empire has achieved a great victory (if RP balance is OK, obviously).
But that is not the case here