Cosmic dragons

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

defaultuser
Juggernaut

Cosmic dragons

#1 Post by defaultuser »

What are the mechanics of the Cosmic Dragons dispersing the nova bombs? Is it fairly random? Can they do that while in combat? That's is, if a fleet holds one at a world for several turns while destroying it, does it increase the chance of a nova? I take there's nothing to be done about a bomb once it's "laid".

defaultuser
Juggernaut

Re: Cosmic dragons

#2 Post by defaultuser »

I'll give this a bump in case someone has info.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#3 Post by Dilvish »

If you enable 'Show auto-generated effects descriptions" under UI options, and then launch or load a game to finish populating the Pedia, the entry for Cosmic Dragon will list its hull and parts, which should give you the info you want.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#4 Post by Oberlus »

I'm jealous. I have never met those cosmic dragons.

Jaumito
Space Kraken
Location: Catalonia, France, Europe, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Virgo Cluster

#5 Post by Jaumito »

Oberlus wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:02 am I'm jealous. I have never met those cosmic dragons.
I've seen several but never actually "met" them. The poor critters have a speed of only 25, which means they always get stranded in space when the Experimentor starlanes collapse, and apparently are removed from the game on the next turn. Or maybe they just turn invisible when that happens?

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#6 Post by defaultuser »

Jaumito wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:35 am
Oberlus wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:02 am I'm jealous. I have never met those cosmic dragons.
I've seen several but never actually "met" them. The poor critters have a speed of only 25, which means they always get stranded in space when the Experimentor starlanes collapse, and apparently are removed from the game on the next turn. Or maybe they just turn invisible when that happens?
No, they hang out until the next time a lane opens. Depending on how far the target world is from the outpost, it might take a few times to get one out.

Jaumito
Space Kraken
Location: Catalonia, France, Europe, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Virgo Cluster

#7 Post by Jaumito »

defaultuser wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:07 am
Jaumito wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:35 am
No, they hang out until the next time a lane opens. Depending on how far the target world is from the outpost, it might take a few times to get one out.
What I actually witnessed is they seem to "vanish" from the map the turn after the lane they're using collapses. However, if you pedia up the "Cosmic Dragon" design, they're still listed under "ships of this design" - so, in a sense, they seem to have indeed turned "invisible", at least for a while. I never had a chance to see them re-appear on a system so far.

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#8 Post by defaultuser »

Jaumito wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:39 am What I actually witnessed is they seem to "vanish" from the map the turn after the lane they're using collapses. However, if you pedia up the "Cosmic Dragon" design, they're still listed under "ships of this design" - so, in a sense, they seem to have indeed turned "invisible", at least for a while. I never had a chance to see them re-appear on a system so far.
Not what I've seen. In my experience, they just hang out in open space, just like any other ship when the starlane disappears.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#9 Post by Dilvish »

defaultuser wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:02 pm Not what I've seen. In my experience, they just hang out in open space, just like any other ship when the starlane disappears.
Hmm, sounds to me that, as a general matter, starlane collapse should probably be cleaned up to have in-transit ships be either delivered to their destination or returned to their start (perhaps either/or based on how far along the starlane they were). If someone wants to second that idea then please post an Issue on github for it.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#10 Post by defaultuser »

Dilvish wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:13 pm
defaultuser wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:02 pm Not what I've seen. In my experience, they just hang out in open space, just like any other ship when the starlane disappears.
Hmm, sounds to me that, as a general matter, starlane collapse should probably be cleaned up to have in-transit ships be either delivered to their destination or returned to their start (perhaps either/or based on how far along the starlane they were). If someone wants to second that idea then please post an Issue on github for it.
The latter sounds bad, as Cosmic Dragons in some cases would never get out of the Outpost. Right now, for a player wanting to invade the Outpost, the length of the starlanes and the speed of your ships is one of those things to take into account.

I'm not sure I see a problem.