How to edit savgame file

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: How to edit savgame file

#16 Post by Geoff the Medio »

LienRag wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 3:46 pm...since I can't load old saved games to resave them with uncompressed XML, I can't look at their uncompressed XML to find how monster nests are described in the XML file?
Not without some some C++ coding. But it might not be helpful anyway, as the XML format of the pre-compression text might be different in the current version, and you can't do anything with the uncompressed text of the old version...

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#17 Post by Vezzra »

LienRag wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 3:46 pmWell, what I mean is that I've read somewhere in the forum that stability of universe generation for a given seed across versions of FreeOrion was a thing
I'm sorry if something posted on the forum led you to believe that, because that's not possible (at least not with investing reasonable effort). Stability of universe generation is supposed to be provided across platforms, not versions. Meaning, using the same seed on Linux, Mac or Windows should give you the same universe, provided you use the same version.

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#18 Post by LienRag »

I probably mixed up between stability across platforms and across versions indeed...
:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(
Well, I guess I'l have to manage.
Luckily (very luckily indeed) I tried yesterday seed 1 with another starting specie (I only played with humans so far since they're balanced and didn't really understand how races worked) and I had a Snowflake nest near my starting planet (got my first small snowflake at turn 23, though I used it for scouting rather than letting him mature).

Maybe it's due to how Xed works but when I tried to find the planet in the XML document in order to find how the Snowflake is XML-written I could find only three stars of the name instead of the eight that are in the game, and none being the good one.

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#19 Post by Ophiuchus »

Else you have the Option to use FOCS scripting to add your Monster nests. Add the effect, load the game with the correct Version, advance a turn, check the results and save.

Then you can remove the effec.t and stop, and restart freeorion. Load the Updated savegame and..profit
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!