non mobile ships, please do not dispatch

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

godel
Space Dragon

non mobile ships, please do not dispatch

#1 Post by godel »

I love the dispatch option for ships, it allows me to note what I planned to do with that ship turns later when it is built.
But, as a precaution against foolishness (and I hope you are not strongly against such precautions) non mobile ships should not be dispatch-able.
I do now understand that every such complaint takes away from the main effort, but I hope this is a small few lines of code type patch.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

Re: non mobile ships, please do not dispatch

#2 Post by MatGB »

Non mobile ships can't move, so it doesn't matter and makes no difference.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#3 Post by Dilvish »

I could see that it would seem like a slightly cleaner interface to not present a meaningless choice such as offering to dispatch an immobile ship being built, but I am inclined to think that there is probably not a clean fully reliable way to make the determination about whether to present the choice, and that thinking more about it is just not a worthwhile use of time.

Consider that making the determination would probably require either making assumptions about the content (which could easily become false if anyone tweaks their content) or else instantiating a temporary ship and checking its speed (which could wind up having been zero because of some temporary effect not because of an inherent limitation).
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

godel
Space Dragon

#4 Post by godel »

Thanks for the answer, thanks for considering it.
I did check, buildings can not be rallied. That is good.

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#5 Post by defaultuser »

MatGB wrote:Non mobile ships can't move, so it doesn't matter and makes no difference.
Except through Stargates, but that doesn't have anything to do with dispatch.