Up-to-date Test Snap

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

Re: Weekly Release Notes / Up-to-date Test Snap

#121 Post by LienRag »

Ophiuchus wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:21 pm Stable 0.4.10.1 build is available on channel 0.4.10/stable; the 0.4.10 channel is also the current default channel (v0.4.10.1 rev=174 amd64 rev=176 i386).

Weekly test build based on master:

freeorion_2021-05-10.4f04bdc rev=210 channel=edge (amd64)
freeorion_2021-05-10.4f04bdc rev=211 channel=edge (i386)

news
Sorry, I get confused there :
0.4.10 is the stable version, the one without Influence, right ?
Edge is the one with your own modifications ?
So where's the Beta (the one with Influence but not your modifications) ?

Or did I get everything wrong ?

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#122 Post by Ophiuchus »

LienRag wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:40 pm 0.4.10 is the stable version, the one without Influence, right ?
Edge is the one with your own modifications ?
So where's the Beta (the one with Influence but not your modifications) ?

Or did I get everything wrong ?
no you got everything right. sorry for adding to your confusion.

edge is always cutting, it changes sometimes and in unexpected ways.

beta is the one following the weekly builds. i posted before I could smoke-test so i wrote its in edge.

now the weekly build is promoted to beta.
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

drkosy
Space Dragon

#123 Post by drkosy »

Might there be any chance of getting some kind of "multiplayer track" for snap?
It's just every time I try to compile the game new encouragements appear. That's why I think about switching to snap but don't like to turn auto-update off.
Want some fresh experience? Try Kosymod

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#124 Post by Oberlus »

drkosy wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 2:18 pm Might there be any chance of getting some kind of "multiplayer track" for snap?
It's just every time I try to compile the game new encouragements appear. That's why I think about switching to snap but don't like to turn auto-update off.
Use beta channel maybe?
Not sure if you could use o01eg's PPA in your system?

drkosy
Space Dragon

#125 Post by drkosy »

Use beta channel maybe?
The beta channel following the weekly builds for master. Auto update will raise the version as soon as there is a new master. So it is not suitable for Slow-Server MP Games. They will take to long and therefore a new version is installed during play.

If there would only be chances on game data it could be possible to copy the recent "default" folder to another location where it is not updated and link there via settings. Unfortunaly I think the changes will go deeper...

That's what a multiplayer track could solve. It could always be the same version as used on the MP-Server.

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#126 Post by Ophiuchus »

drkosy wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 2:30 pm
Use beta channel maybe?
The beta channel following the weekly builds for master. Auto update will raise the version as soon as there is a new master. So it is not suitable for Slow-Server MP Games. They will take to long and therefore a new version is installed during play.
Agreed, I already suggested using a dedicated channel.
drkosy wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 2:30 pm If there would only be chances on game data it could be possible to copy the recent "default" folder to another location where it is not updated and link there via settings. Unfortunaly I think the changes will go deeper...
Dont see how this helps with the stated problem. Contents in default folder as well as program might change.

I published the current weekly build for the slow game under branch channel: latest/beta/slow-game-016

I think this should suffice for the moment.
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

drkosy
Space Dragon

#127 Post by drkosy »

Dont see how this helps with the stated problem. Contents in default folder as well as program might change.
That's exactly what I tried to say. Maybe it wasn't told clear enough :oops:
I published the current weekly build for the slow game under branch channel: latest/beta/slow-game-016
Thanks! I will change the channel right away :)

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#128 Post by Ophiuchus »

Stable 0.4.10.1 build is available on channel 0.4.10/stable; the 0.4.10 channel is also the current default channel (v0.4.10.1 rev=174 amd64 rev=176 i386).

Weekly test build based on master:

freeorion_2021-05-18.5465a0e rev=212 channel=beta (amd64)
freeorion_2021-05-18.5465a0e rev=213 channel=beta (i386)

news
  • contents: make liking / disliking building owned by empire per-building effect scale with 1/sqrt(count of building), so the overall effect scales like sqrt(count of building) (geoff)
  • contents: don't reduce ship speed below 5 when inside a nebula edge (geoff)
  • contents: head-on-a-spike does not get generated by cultural archives (geoff)
  • contents: dis/-likes for policies for SP_BEIGEGOO, SP_CHATO, SP_CRAY, SP_CYNOS, SP_DERTHREAN, SP_EAXAW, SP_EGASSEM, SP_ETTY, SP_FIFTYSEVEN
  • contents: industrialism policy only returns positive, refactored to be specified as percentage (grummel7)
  • contents: don't generate instability on the capital from influence debt (geoff)
  • UI: adress corner case: render fleets that are not in systems and not moving (geoff)
  • UI: fallback for opening a FleetWnd (geoff)
  • UI: add two options to control whether to do a meter update 1) when an object's state changes 2) when opening the sidepanels
  • UI: stringtable show GARRISON_2_MAXTROOPS_PERPOP, PLC_NATIVE_APPROPRIATION_RESEARCH_PERPLANET (geoff)
  • backend: grooming, small fixes (geoff)
  • QA: content checksum mismatch test (o01eg)
  • QA: Add unused references check (?) (cjkjvfnby)
  • QA: enable unit tests on Windows (o01eg)
  • QA/build: fix clang build regression after CI ubuntu update (o01eg)
  • i18n: stringtable cleanups/refactorings, st-tool changes (cjkjvfnby)
  • i18n: french update as usual (Ouaz)
Also not sure if it is a bug or a feature. Maybe something changed regarding visibility of objects: I was jumping a scout on an enemy frigate and it did not initiate combat. Never happened before. If i waited a turn, the frigate killed the scout alright.edit1: Found that the scout passed through a nebula giving it temporary stealth 25. Nothing changed.

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#129 Post by LienRag »

I installed the snap package on a new Debian recently, and was totally unable to launch it after that.

After much puzzlement I finally understood that I had to add /snap/bin to my $PATH

It's not mentioned anywhere on any documentation or howto that I had found about snap on debian, so maybe it can be added somewhere on your snap documentation for freeorion ?

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#130 Post by Ophiuchus »

LienRag wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 7:41 pm I installed the snap package on a new Debian recently, and was totally unable to launch it after that.

After much puzzlement I finally understood that I had to add /snap/bin to my $PATH
Weird. I am pretty sure I didn't need to do that on my Debian install. Sounds like a debian bug.

Anyway using the snap command works for you without the path change? E.g. snap run freeorion?

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#131 Post by LienRag »

Oh, I didn't know about the "run" command...

And I don't have access to this computer now.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#132 Post by Geoff the Medio »

The freeorion gmail account received a message saying:
A scan of this snap shows that it was built with packages from the Ubuntu archive that have since received security updates.
[...]
Simply rebuilding the snap will pull in the new security updates and resolve this. If your snap also contains vendored code, now might be a good time to review it for any needed updates.

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#133 Post by LienRag »

Geoff the Medio wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 7:48 pm The freeorion gmail account received a message saying:
A scan of this snap shows that it was built with packages from the Ubuntu archive that have since received security updates.
[...]
Simply rebuilding the snap will pull in the new security updates and resolve this. If your snap also contains vendored code, now might be a good time to review it for any needed updates.

Well, yes, snap is absolutely a bad security choice, it's well known.
AppImage at least doesn't run root.

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#134 Post by Ophiuchus »

Geoff the Medio wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 7:48 pm The freeorion gmail account received a message saying:
[...]
Yes. This is a libx issue - I think it is not a problem.

Do we have a list of security concerns? Running a multiplayer server is probably the most exposed.
Else connecting to a malicous multiplayer server. Loading a tainted save game.
LienRag wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 8:58 pm Well, yes, snap is absolutely a bad security choice, it's well known.
AppImage at least doesn't run root.
Thanks for the unrelated fud. You are actually replying to a security feature where snap is more secure than AppImage (the store tells snap builders that there is an easy to solve potential problem and snap promotes automated updates). With an AppImage you would never get notified about such an issue. Running rootless is certainly better, but flatpak is the contender in that space. "it's well known" means in this case that you do not know what you are talking about.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#135 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Ophiuchus wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 7:31 amDo we have a list of security concerns?
The email had a list:
The following lists new USNs for affected binary packages in each snap revision:

Revision r128 (amd64; channels: stable, candidate)
* libx11-6: 4966-1
* libx11-data: 4966-1
* libx11-xcb1: 4966-1

Revision r174 (amd64; channels: 0.4.10/stable, 0.4.10/candidate, 0.4.10/beta, 0.4.10/edge)

Revision r176 (i386; channels: stable, candidate, 0.4.10/stable, 0.4.10/candidate, 0.4.10/beta, 0.4.10/edge)

Revision r210 (amd64; channels: beta/slow-game-016)

Revision r211 (i386; channels: beta/slow-game-016)

Revision r212 (amd64; channels: beta, edge)

Revision r213 (i386; channels: beta, edge)
Running a multiplayer server is probably the most exposed.
Else connecting to a malicous multiplayer server. Loading a tainted save game.
I expect that there are substantial security problems with running a server, connecting to one and playing a game, or loading saves provided by others, though I don't know specifically by what means any of those could be made malicious.