Multiplayer slow game server

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

Magnate
Space Dragon

Re: Multiplayer slow game server

#316 Post by Magnate »

I think you have seen few notifications because you are often the last to turn so you are logged in when the turn happens and don't get an email. I think. I can confirm that I've received a turn notification every time I haven't been logged in, and never when I have been the last to turn.

Thanks for the tip about the filter - I'll do that, though weirdly Gmail seems to be down at the moment.

JonCST
Space Kraken

#317 Post by JonCST »

Magnate wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:30 pm I can confirm that I've received a turn notification every time I haven't been logged in, and never when I have been the last to turn.
Still think everybody ought to get a e-mail every turn, but just MHO.
Magnate wrote: Thanks for the tip about the filter[.]
You're welcome, but i got it from somebody else on this thread. Glad it's useful, though.

J

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#318 Post by Oberlus »

I like that I only get email when I'm not connected to the server. Thus I don't get confused when I get an email right after disconnecting (was I last one to play, so I don't need to connect again, or the other players were online and have played quickly after I've disconnected?).

JonCST
Space Kraken

#319 Post by JonCST »

Hi all. Oberlus said:
Oberlus wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:02 pm I like that I only get email when I'm not connected [so] don't get confused when I get an email right after disconnecting [...]
I'm pretty sure a turn number in the e-mail would fix that. Plus, the e-mail would be verification that the server took your orders and acted on them, if you didn't wait around to see if the message box said the turn had been processed. I'm guessing there may be significant delay as the number of ships etc. multiply. Could be wrong, maybe the message box gets updated first, then all the number crunching happens.

Somebody said i'm always the last one to enter orders for a turn (time zone thing?), so i'm basically the only one it affects (at least in this game, anyway).

J.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#320 Post by Oberlus »

I think turn number in the email would be great. But still, I'm in favor of not getting emails when I'm connected to the server.
JonCST wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:13 pmthe e-mail would be verification that the server took your orders and acted on them
When you click on turn and see the button change to "Revise...", the server heard you. If then it changes to next turn, because you are the last one, then you are absolutely sure if the server took your orders into consideration or not: you are there, connected, and can see what has happened. The email would be only a confirmation that turn has advanced, not that your orders were received and honoured, but anyway you are getting that email if you are not connected and you get confirmation of that and anything else when you are connected in the moment of turn pass.

JonCST
Space Kraken

#321 Post by JonCST »

Neither of us will convince the other, so i'm shutting up now.

J.

o01eg
Programmer

#322 Post by o01eg »

Due changes in the scripts the server won't be compatible with new weekly test build 2019-08-04.9924d0f.
Gentoo Linux x64, gcc-11.2, boost-1.78.0
Ubuntu Server 22.04 x64, gcc-12, boost-1.74.0
Welcome to the slow multiplayer game at freeorion-lt.dedyn.io.Version 2024-04-14.ad50e93.
Donations're welcome:BTC:bc1q007qldm6eppqcukewtfkfcj0naut9njj7audnm

The Silent One
Graphics

#323 Post by The Silent One »

I'm away until Friday, unfortunately I wasn't able to connect to the server from my laptop. So I'm sorry, you guys will have to be patient. :(
If I provided any images, code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0.

o01eg
Programmer

#324 Post by o01eg »

The Silent One wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:10 pm I'm away until Friday, unfortunately I wasn't able to connect to the server from my laptop. So I'm sorry, you guys will have to be patient. :(
OK, we still have a 67 hours before turn advance without manual extending.
Gentoo Linux x64, gcc-11.2, boost-1.78.0
Ubuntu Server 22.04 x64, gcc-12, boost-1.74.0
Welcome to the slow multiplayer game at freeorion-lt.dedyn.io.Version 2024-04-14.ad50e93.
Donations're welcome:BTC:bc1q007qldm6eppqcukewtfkfcj0naut9njj7audnm

Magnate
Space Dragon

#325 Post by Magnate »

o01eg wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:40 pm
The Silent One wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:10 pm I'm away until Friday, unfortunately I wasn't able to connect to the server from my laptop. So I'm sorry, you guys will have to be patient. :(
OK, we still have a 67 hours before turn advance without manual extending.
So I managed to find tethers while camping, but I'd be grateful if we could keep this extended timeout for a while longer as I'm flying to Canada on Wednesday and it might take me a day or so to get online there and turn. But happy to go back to 24h after that.

Welcome back TSO!

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#326 Post by Oberlus »

Let's keep it as it is.
When we all can connect, turns will take less than 24h.

The Silent One
Graphics

#327 Post by The Silent One »

Magnate wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:06 pmWelcome back TSO!
Thanks, also for your patience guys!
If I provided any images, code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#328 Post by Oberlus »

JonCST wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:42 pm
Hey, JonCVST, I've notices sometimes (maybe twice this game), you are the last one to play a turn X (so when you do the server advances to turn X+1), but you are not shown as having played your turn X+1 (in spite of you being there at the time). May I ask why?

JonCST
Space Kraken

#329 Post by JonCST »

Hi all. Obelus asked:
Oberlus wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:07 am [...] I've notices sometimes [JonCST is] the last one to play a turn X [but] you are not shown as having played your turn X+1 [...] why?
I do not know.

I submit orders whenever i am able, and check back a couple times per day to see if the turn has advanced.

If i have been the last one to enter orders, and thereby triggered the turn, the only thing i can think of is that my client doesn't notify me until after i have clicked the "resign" button, and therefore i do not see it.

Slow network, slow client, ???

One of the reasons i'd like to see e-mail notifications (with the turn number and game name) to every player every turn.

Jon

The Silent One
Graphics

#330 Post by The Silent One »

Are double alliances allowed? JohnCST currently allied to Oberlus and o01eg?