Multiplayer slow game server

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

Re: Multiplayer slow game server

#331 Post by Oberlus »

The Silent One wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:02 amAre double alliances allowed? JohnCST currently allied to Oberlus and o01eg?
Looks like alliance rules are simple: A & B can be allied regardless of the diplomatic status of A and B to any other empires.. We might want to do something different, like if A&B are allied, C can join the alliance A&B but not ally only A or B, unless A and B break their alliance first. So if C applies to it, or A (or B) sends the invitation, and one of A or B rejects it, no alliance.

In this game, I'm at war with o01eg and allied to JonCST, which are allied themselves.

JonCST
Space Kraken

#332 Post by JonCST »

The Silent One wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:02 am Are double alliances allowed? JohnCST currently allied to Oberlus and o01eg?
Why wouldn't they be?

Managing such an alliance tuple will be complicated, but the game mechanics shouldn't prohibit it.

Imho, of course.

J

PS: anyone else play the game Diplomacy? The situation is similar.

The Silent One
Graphics

#333 Post by The Silent One »

JonCST wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:16 pmWhy wouldn't they be?
I didn't mean the game mechanics should forbid it, but if we have rules for our game for max number of alliances per player. Otherwise it may turn into 3vs2, or 2vs2vs1, ... in the games to come we should make some arrangement for that.
If I provided any images, code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#334 Post by Oberlus »

The Silent One wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:23 pmif we have rules for our game for max number of alliances per player. Otherwise it may turn into 3vs2, or 2vs2vs1, ... in the games to come we should make some arrangement for that.
Up to now there was no alliance rule. I'm ok with that. I was epic when Magnate could delete both of you TSO and o01egs allied.

JonCST
Space Kraken

#335 Post by JonCST »

Hi all. The Silent One said:
The Silent One wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:23 pm [...] Otherwise it may turn into 3vs2, or 2vs2vs1, ... in the games to come we should make some arrangement for that.
If alliances are allowed at all, and there's an odd number of players, it will end up with uneven alliances. The question (and a unique part of multiplayer game): is one a good enough diplomat to work the alliances to one's favor? That's the reason i'm unhappy the in-game messaging doesn't (yet?) allow proper inter-player negotiations, and why you've each received PMs via this site.

I agree it's a very different game when negotiations are possible. I like it (did i mention i used to play Diplomacy?), but that may not be the game you thought you were signing up for.

In the Diplomacy game world, there are no-negotiation games which focus purely on strategy and tactics. It is possible that we may want to declare multiplayer games to allow or disallow negotiations. There may need to be a switch, set at game creation, to allow private message, broadcast, or no in-game communications, with the understanding that players not go outside the game to get around the in-game restrictions.

Again, my opinions.

Jon

The Silent One
Graphics

#336 Post by The Silent One »

Oberlus wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:28 pmUp to now there was no alliance rule. I'm ok with that. I was epic when Magnate could delete both of you TSO and o01egs allied.
Guess I'll have to reconsider the peace offers of the organic weed in my neighbourhood then :D
If I provided any images, code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0.

o01eg
Programmer

#337 Post by o01eg »

Oberlus wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:28 pm
The Silent One wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:23 pmif we have rules for our game for max number of alliances per player. Otherwise it may turn into 3vs2, or 2vs2vs1, ... in the games to come we should make some arrangement for that.
Up to now there was no alliance rule. I'm ok with that. I was epic when Magnate could delete both of you TSO and o01egs allied.
The only rules are about winner count. Currently no more than two allied player could get victory. Also there is a difference between peace and alliance.
Gentoo Linux x64, gcc-11.2, boost-1.78.0
Ubuntu Server 22.04 x64, gcc-12, boost-1.74.0
Welcome to the slow multiplayer game at freeorion-lt.dedyn.io.Version 2024-03-15.b3de094.
Donations're welcome:BTC:bc1q007qldm6eppqcukewtfkfcj0naut9njj7audnm

The Silent One
Graphics

#338 Post by The Silent One »

Starting tomorrow, I will be on holiday for two weeks. Hopefully, I will be able to make my turns from there.
I won't be doing development stuff for that time, but I should be on the forums.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#339 Post by Oberlus »

I'll be away from friday 17 to thursday 22. Most probably I'll be without laptop, it's an order from my wife, but maybe, only maybe, I can convince her. If I can't, with current turn period, I won't miss any turn if I leave my orders issued on friday, then connect again and don't press turn (orders issued but "player ready" not checked).

The Silent One
Graphics

#340 Post by The Silent One »

Oberlus wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:01 pm[...] Most probably I'll be without laptop, it's an order from my wife, but maybe, only maybe, I can convince her.
Sounds very familiar :D good news is that I can play on my laptop during the holidays.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#341 Post by Geoff the Medio »

JonCST wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:39 pmThere may need to be a switch, set at game creation, to allow private message, broadcast, or no in-game communications, with the understanding that players not go outside the game to get around the in-game restrictions.
That sounds like a good feature request for a game rule... can you make a github feature request?

JonCST
Space Kraken

#342 Post by JonCST »

JonCST wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:31 pm
Oberlus wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:07 am [...] I've noticed sometimes [JonCST is] the last one to play a turn X [but] you are not shown as having played your turn X+1 [...] why?
I do not know. [...] Slow network, slow client, ???
The answer appears to be "yes". After having checked for several turns, i can confirm that if i expand the empire window enough to see that i'm the remaining player, then not "resign" and wait up to 5 minutes after pressing the turn button, i will get the notification and be able to enter new orders during the same session. Apparently my computer, client, and network conspire to delay the notification arriving unless i know to wait.

Jon

PS: in a 24-hour-turn game, does it really matter if i enter my orders at the earliest possible moment?

JonCST
Space Kraken

#343 Post by JonCST »

Geoff the Medio wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:21 pm [...] can you make a github feature request?
Dunno. I'll give it a try tonight.

J

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#344 Post by Oberlus »

JonCST wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:26 pmPS: in a 24-hour-turn game, does it really matter if i enter my orders at the earliest possible moment?
Well, it's not a 24-hour turn game, it's dynamic: if we all connect several times a day we'll play several turns a day. Therefore, if you connect once a day and the rest are connecting more often, when you are the last one and you play two turns in a row, say X and X+1, when you connect again 24 hours later it will be turn X+2 (instead of X+1, so your're playing twice as "fast").

JonCST
Space Kraken

#345 Post by JonCST »

Hi all.
Oberlus wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:09 pm
JonCST wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:26 pmPS: in a 24-hour-turn game, does it really matter if i enter my orders at the earliest possible moment?
Well, it's not a 24-hour turn game, it's dynamic"
When o01eg created the game they said "23 hour": viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11274#p95705
Oberlus wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:09 pm if you connect once a day[...]
As i said previously, i connect several times per day: viewtopic.php?p=96901#p96901

So, again, does it really matter if i get orders in within 5 minutes instead of 5 hours? Even if everybody else enters orders between my triggering the turn and my triggering the next turn, aren't i still meeting the "less than 23 hours" game requirement?

I'm pretty sure nothing's been posted that players must push the game along as fast as possible (even if some believe that desirable). As previously noted, some players are in different time zones, and people have different schedules and requirements.

The title of the thread is "Multiplay Slow Game Server", after all. I entered with the expectation that i'd have the luxury of entering orders a couple of times per day without being penalized for not always having enough free time to respond to updates immediately (my Real Life schedule doesn't allow that).

J.