Seventh game on the multiplayer slow game server (0.4.9)

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

swaq
Space Dragon

Re: Seventh game on the multiplayer slow game server (0.4.9)

#76 Post by swaq »

Formicarium Log Cycle 75

The last remnants of the hopelessly doomed squnail government have been eliminated. The strike team for this mission suffered heavy losses but it was worth it. All for the Great Distributed Colony!

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#77 Post by Oberlus »

Imperial Palace at The Herd's homeworld.

The High Shepherd lies in his divan at the throne room, gazing at the uncontable stars of this galaxy that sprinkle the celestial vault (well, uncontable... some 35), thinking in delight of how many of the planets that orbit those stars are now under The Herd's control (33 to be exactly). And how many more could be if things keep going well.
The crackling noise of the numerous steps of the Antian Minister of Defense takes him out of his contemplation.
- Sir, the results of the survey have arrived.
- What poll?
- The survey on governability and social organisation, Sir.
- What? I don't know what you're talking about.
- Sir, do you remember we talked about questioning our people about how they'd like to be governed, to give them a sense of closeness with the people that rules their lifes?
- Oh, yes, of course, I remember... Something about a government of the majority, right? So what? Did they all voted yes as expected?
- Sir, that was what we asked in the previous poll.
- Previous poll?
- Yes, Sir.
- What were we asking in that poll, exactly?
- Three questions, Sir: 1. "Do you want a government of the majority that protects all of us and keeps our worlds free of predators?", 2. "Who do you think makes for a better strategist, tactician and warriors to be in charge of our safety? a. Herdian, b. Antian?", and 3. "Would you like to conduct a binding referendum to choose an ensemble of decorated warriors to lead our community to a heaven of security?"
- Did I give my permission to that second question?
The Minister keeps silent.
- Well, I guess they all voted yes to the three, right? What's the question in the latest survey, Minister?
- Sir, it was "Which ensemble of decorated warriors do you choose to lead our community to a heaven of security?: a. The Herd's Party, leaded by the High Shepherd. b. The Antente, leaded by the hero of the battle of Oa, Marshall Ritclic."
- WHAT?
Ritclic keeps silent.
- The antians are not majority. I must have won that survey. We always vote all at once.
- You are right, Sir, your people always do everything all at once.
More crackling steps coming into the throne room. The High Shepherd looks in confusion how the antian guards surround him. A spark lights up his look.

Two days later

- Ritclic, "Elected Overlady of the Occidantal Antente". It suits you -says Urkrrl, drumming his claws on Ritclic's thorax- I still don't understand why the old shepherd accepted to conduct those surveys.
- He thought his people would think like him. He saw a threat on the antians, and never on the herbivores, her vassals. But the herbivores weren't thinking on keeping their asses glued to the thorne, they had no throne (that was Shepherd's only prerogative). They only wanted what we were promising. So they all voted at once. They voted me. Except the shepherd, and some pacifist antians.
- What will happen to the Shepherd now?
- We'll take care of him, as always. He'll enjoy losing sight of the emperor's duties, taking care of the fields. Enought of chitchat, Urkrrl, what a drone you are. Shut up and focus on your task: give me pleasure.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#78 Post by Oberlus »

OCCIDANTAL ANTENTE BROADCAST
Register 20200070076

Cooperation between all sentient lifes is the ultimate goal. The Antente Alliance seeks to achieve that virtuous destiny.
The psycophatic Foot-Hand people seeks the opposites, the Oppression and the Competition. The unworthy Blue Antians reject any form of Cooperation. The secretive Gasbags can't be trusted.

The Occidantal Antente Army will destroy any and every enemy of the Cooperation at our sight. Cooperation shall prevail over Competition. The Antente Alliance will succeed.

swaq
Space Dragon

#79 Post by swaq »

Visit Duna β III
DunaBetaIII.jpg
DunaBetaIII.jpg (97.48 KiB) Viewed 3054 times
Duna β has always been one of the best systems in the galaxy for sand supply but now it's even better! There is white fluffy sand as far as the eye can see at Duna β III thanks to the completion of a massive geoengineering project. There is room for many many more ants so come and make the perfect planet your new home.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#80 Post by Oberlus »

Ships are exploding all over the galaxy, on the hundreds, billions of citizens are changing from one dominion to another in a blink, it's crazy!!!

swaq
Space Dragon

#81 Post by swaq »

Good game, everyone!
fo7_result.png
fo7_result.png (106.51 KiB) Viewed 3035 times
fo7_galaxy.png
fo7_galaxy.png (1.41 MiB) Viewed 3035 times

Hyperant
Space Kraken

#82 Post by Hyperant »

Unknown Journal

Unknown Location

The Fate of the Galaxy

It had been 14 years since the fall of the Federation after the devastating and climatic final Battle of Fixas which saw the complete destruction of the Federal fleet and the abdication of the newly appointed Enlightened Leader. The Federation had long been on the decline ever since the Stealth-Antian War broke out, which saw countless lives lost and marked the beginning of the end of the Federation.

After that battle, the Federation was effectively dissolved and the remaining systems became independent systems which would quickly be gobbled up by the Antians. The Antians, another with their sister Antian Ally, would resume the war against our long ago foes, the Foot-Hand peoples. After several more years of the heaviest fighting the galaxy had ever seen, the Great Interstellar War would end with the unconditional surrender of the Xeno-Empire, of which the exact details would be unclear.

With that, the Galaxy seemed to be at peace, although rumors had been spreading that the two remaining empires would implode into civil war, though i find that hard to believe.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That was a good game yall.
Monarch of the following realms:
-Lumin Federation
-Gamma Republic
-Holy Commune
-Supreme League
-Frost Syndicate

o01eg
Programmer

#83 Post by o01eg »

swaq wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:34 pm Good game, everyone!
It was very quick. Is it ring galaxy speed up the game? Nice thing it won't be any incompatibilities now after stable release, so galaxy size can be increased.

I will open thread about new game soon.
Gentoo Linux x64, gcc-11.2, boost-1.78.0
Ubuntu Server 22.04 x64, gcc-12, boost-1.74.0
Welcome to the slow multiplayer game at freeorion-lt.dedyn.io.Version 2024-03-15.b3de094.
Donations're welcome:BTC:bc1q007qldm6eppqcukewtfkfcj0naut9njj7audnm

o01eg
Programmer

#84 Post by o01eg »

Welcome to the slow multiplayer game at freeorion-lt.dedyn.io.Version 2024-03-15.b3de094.

L29Ah
Space Squid

#85 Post by L29Ah »

o01eg wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:04 am
It was very quick. Is it ring galaxy speed up the game?
Prearranged alliance did. I demand disabling allied victory for future games.
Team S.M.A.C.: play multiplayer with us!

o01eg
Programmer

#86 Post by o01eg »

L29Ah wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:32 am
It won't help, allied victory requires last alive players to be allies to win. Without it enabled swaq and Oberlus will win even without alliance.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#87 Post by Oberlus »

o01eg wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:04 am It was very quick. Is it ring galaxy speed up the game?
The ring shape allowed to focus forces on fewer enemies.
If you play in disc shape and can have 3-4 neighbours, the need to keep enough assets on every front might delay the first encounters and thus force a slower game.
Ring coupled with alliances of two players makes that "worse", since each empire can expand unmolested in the area between both allies and focus all military forces in the other, single border.

swaq had JonCST as neighbour, who seemingly focused on mitilary techs and production early game neglecting fast expansion. swaq went for a risky strategy and did the opposite, keeping minimal forces at Jon's border and focusing on faster expansion and growth and research techs. Since Jon didn't try to capitalize on his early military forces, it was a matter of time that swaq would outtech and outproduce Jon.

On our shared border, o01eg and I were very aggressive. We met early on (I had him as close as swaq). I was busy building some forces and colonising stuff between me and swaq so I stick to my closer chokepoint (call it Eos 1), while o01eg took the risk to advance from his chockepoint (Meiji) and got into the two starlane paths that connected the chokepoints. With my PPs still busy elsewhere, I waited for him to colonise one planet on each starlane branch and then atacked the less defended branch. I lost less ship PPs than him and also conquered a colony. That was a blow for his economy. In his counterattack toward my chokepoint (pressumably to cut off the retreat path for my skimishers) he didn't see I had reinforcements coming and got another blow (again he lost more ship PPs than me, and I still had the invaded colony). Some time later he reorganised and took back his former colony without resistance from me, but first I evacuated all population from there (so I got a boost to population on my Fulver colony donated by swaq). All this was the beginning of the end for o01eg. I had outteched him (specially research, production and population boosts, comparable military techs), prepared a sizeable army. So while many of his forces were at the colony on dispute, after taking it back, I attacked the other starlane branch and took down his main fleet, and after that rushed to his chokepoint and cut off retreat for his remaining ships. From there on it was a matter of time to capture all his colonies.

So, compared to swaq, I had to invest much more PPs and RPs on combat early only, just to keep o01eg on the lows.

I assume something similar made Hyperant and L29Ah delay their development: they were fighting each other.
Note that they had extra space from the prematurely deceased Magnate's empire, and the option to capture an undefended HW. But I also noticed that Hyperant had few GGs on his space.

In the end, I would say that starting a ring game with turtle Jon as neighbour increases the chances to win if you don't ally him.
I bet if the ring order (with alliances) was (say) Oberlus+swaq -- Hyperant+Magnate -- Jon -- L29Ah+o01eg, the outstanding empire would have been one of L29 and Magnate.

L29Ah wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:32 am Prearranged alliance did. I demand disabling allied victory for future games.
There was no prearranged alliance.
I have preference regarding allies. I know I like Magnate, alleryn and swaq from experience (Jon and I had our bad moments). I presume I would enjoy allying TSO and o01eg, and probably you too, L29.
I also have preference for allied games (vs allianceless games). Of course I like solo victories, but I enjoy the allied game mechanics. Before game I asked about any out-of-game rule regarding alliances, and the answer war "anything that game allows is legit", more or less. So once the game started I begun whispering some people about their coordinates in the ring to ponder possible alliances, because in a ring shape I consider closeness quite important for allies. swaq was a closer neighbour (didn't know about o01eg by the time, he was the silent ant) and a formidable adversary as well as potential ally, and seems he thought the same of me, so we entered an alliance. I'm so glad of that.
It's true that in the end I was able to hold and even kick back your impressive chaff+bomberCarrier fleet, since I was outteching you and on par on production, but swaq's help was inestimable on controlling the map and also on giving me the edge against o01eg with a single laser boat he send me early on.

o01eg wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:35 am It won't help, allied victory requires last alive players to be allies to win. Without it enabled swaq and Oberlus will win even without alliance.
Oh. I thought that without allied victory enabled, victory condition only applies when there is a single living empire (or one has reached transcendence, or whatever).

L29Ah
Space Squid

#88 Post by L29Ah »

o01eg wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:35 am
L29Ah wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:32 am

It won't help, allied victory requires last alive players to be allies to win. Without it enabled swaq and Oberlus will win even without alliance.
Wut. I mean only one player should be able to win.
Team S.M.A.C.: play multiplayer with us!

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#89 Post by Oberlus »

L29Ah wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:33 amI mean only one player should be able to win.
Next game should be like that (IMO). No alliances, only the strongest and luckiest shall prevail.

o01eg
Programmer

#90 Post by o01eg »

Oberlus wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:36 am
L29Ah wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:33 amI mean only one player should be able to win.
Next game should be like that (IMO). No alliances, only the strongest and luckiest shall prevail.
OK :mrgreen: