Disable automatic adding of designs

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

Jacob_The_Heartless
Space Krill

Disable automatic adding of designs

#1 Post by Jacob_The_Heartless »

I'd really like to use own designs of ships. Can I somehow disable automatic adding of designs ? If you start game you get few designs, every time you research new ship component you get new design, I'd like to disable all automatic designs and use only my saved ship designs. Can I somewhere disable automatic designs ?

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

Re: Disable automatic adding of designs

#2 Post by Oberlus »

I agree. It would come handy to have a way to disable the loading of the set of default ship designs.
Currently, I get rid of the designs I don't want by obsoleting the hulls, parts or ship designs individually.

I also would like to have the chance to manually delete default ship designs that I decide to get rid of.
I've tried deleting designs from "saved" list and from "finished" list and they always reapear when creating a new game.

Jacob_The_Heartless
Space Krill

#3 Post by Jacob_The_Heartless »

Yes, there currently seems no better way than mark automatic designs as obsolete one by one which is time consuming and pretty annoying... My friends are sure annoyed when I spend looong turn getting rid of all designs that I just got by researching hull technology

JonCST
Space Kraken

#4 Post by JonCST »

Jacob_The_Heartless wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:08 pm Yes, there currently seems no better way than mark automatic designs as obsolete one by one which is time consuming and pretty annoying
In folder scripting/ship_designs you should find most of the pre-defined ships, which could be renamed or altered. You might want to check the README file first.

Jon

Jacob_The_Heartless
Space Krill

#5 Post by Jacob_The_Heartless »

JonCST wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:10 am
Jacob_The_Heartless wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:08 pm Yes, there currently seems no better way than mark automatic designs as obsolete one by one which is time consuming and pretty annoying
In folder scripting/ship_designs you should find most of the pre-defined ships, which could be renamed or altered. You might want to check the README file first.

Jon
I wish I could. This may work on windows however /Snap is protected against writing on linux so is impossible to edit designs or remove them

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#6 Post by Oberlus »

Maybe you can copy the default folder to another location, change it as your wishes, and tell FO to point your ad hoc default folder.

Jacob_The_Heartless
Space Krill

#7 Post by Jacob_The_Heartless »

Oberlus wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:26 pm Maybe you can copy the default folder to another location, change it as your wishes, and tell FO to point your ad hoc default folder.
That indeed works. Unfortunately I can't take few designs in "reqired" folder but it is much better this way. Just if you start new game it will complain about errors during universe generation, but other than that it works well

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#8 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Could you make a feature request on GitHub for this?

Jacob_The_Heartless
Space Krill

#9 Post by Jacob_The_Heartless »

Geoff the Medio wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:25 pm Could you make a feature request on GitHub for this?
Great idea. Yes I did https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/issues/2725