Eighth game on the multiplayer slow game server (0.4.9 KISS targets hard)

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

Re: Eighth game on the multiplayer slow game server (0.4.9 KISS targets hard)

#181 Post by Oberlus »

Wow... The degree of cooperation between your three empires seems rather intense for a no diplomacy game :lol:
Note taken.

o01eg
Programmer

#182 Post by o01eg »

Saves from this game: https://freeorion-test.dedyn.io/FO0008-saves.7z.

What do you think about new targeting system was tested in this game? Should it land in the upcoming release?
Gentoo Linux x64, gcc-11.2, boost-1.78.0
Ubuntu Server 22.04 x64, gcc-12, boost-1.74.0
Welcome to the slow multiplayer game at freeorion-lt.dedyn.io.Version 2024-03-15.b3de094.
Donations're welcome:BTC:bc1q007qldm6eppqcukewtfkfcj0naut9njj7audnm

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#183 Post by Oberlus »

o01eg wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:23 pm What do you think about new targeting system was tested in this game? Should it land in the upcoming release?
YES!

swaq
Space Dragon

#184 Post by swaq »

Oberlus wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:00 pm Wow... The degree of cooperation between your three empires seems rather intense for a no diplomacy game :lol:
Note taken.
The final screenshot looks more cooperative than it was because the conceded empires lost their supply tech so my supply permeated everywhere. For example, Reilsa Beta blocked my supply chain to Pandora/Reilsa Alpha.

Additional notes on cooperation, or lack thereof:
- Dreven Alpha and Dres Beta are uninhabited gas giants, just used as permanent scouting bases.
- Kintana was a newly formed star as a gas giant which originally would have been my territory but Ophiuchus asked nicely if he could have it.
- My planet on Mobas was supposed to be a gift of normal pilots but o01eg started falling before Ophiuchus could conquer it so it became more of a nuisance with the mines.
- Paladia originally belonged to o01eg. I conquered two planets then Ophiuchus conquered one of mine. My stealth + defense was more hostile towards Ophiuchus than o01eg, in the end.

My agreement with Hyperant was made within the first 10 turns, I think. I asked if he wanted a temporary truce and his response was "k". Much less verbose than his novels written on the forums, haha. Without this truce I would not have been able to hold my ground against the combined Ophiuchus/L29Ah. Shortly after L29Ah conceded and I had taken most his planets Ophiuchus got the bulk of his fleets stranded with no fuel. I was about to wipe them out when I got the request for neutrality. In exchange for letting the ships go he would not harass me. Dealing with the Sly stealth would have been annoying so I agreed. Though waiting for the stranded ships to refuel lost me precious turns in securing supply so I could mount my attack on o01eg. While my initial push into o01eg territory captured a lot of planets the key choke point could not be taken down.

swaq
Space Dragon

#185 Post by swaq »

Oberlus wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:36 pm
o01eg wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:23 pm What do you think about new targeting system was tested in this game? Should it land in the upcoming release?
YES!
It was definitely an improvement. As long as the AI is updated to work with it I would agree to include it.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#186 Post by Oberlus »

My fking xenophobic roleplaying made it impossible for me to make any deal with anyone. Some examples (PM to Hyperant):

(Feb 28)

Dear Gamma RepTo the Bullshit Republic:

We hate you, and We shall crush you. But We think that might have to wait. We foresee two near futures:
  • We crush your army and begin an invasion of your space, then the Slippery Squishy Empire attacks Us from behind when Our armies are under repair after crashing you, and Our production population is low due to Us focusing on bringing doom to you, and Our Empire falls fighting back because of you.
  • Both parties, We and you, sign a cease fire and agree to declare and ensure the space delimited by Arkab gamma, Alderamin, Alniyat and the unknown system between Vanant alpha and Perth beta (all four systems included) as free of armed ships, allowing only scouts (so that We can tell in advance if you break your word).
    We can colonise up to Arkab beta and Perth beta, included. you can colonise what's in your side of that, and you can keep Arkab Gamma.
    The cease fire gets finished as soon as one of the empires moves an armed ship into the delimited space, without requiring any further notice.
    What you do with the time while the cease fire lasts is up to you. you can focus on taking planets from Monkey Empire, or develop your industry and science in peace preparing to attack Us.
If you agree with this pact, move your army back to Dres alpha and tell Us within the next galactic cycle so that We can position our scouts.

Hyperant's answer was:

Dear Mama Council

Nuts

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I tried again a couple of times, in the same tone, so...

o01eg just did not answer to any communication (I didn't send any PM to him, only in-game).

swaq
Space Dragon

#187 Post by swaq »

Graphs from turn 112.

Cyan - Ophiuchus
Blue - L29Ah
Green - Hyperant
Magenta - o01eg
Yellow - Oberlus
Burgundy - swaq

Colonies:
fo8_colonies.png
fo8_colonies.png (76.89 KiB) Viewed 1305 times
Military:
f08_military.png
f08_military.png (86.31 KiB) Viewed 1305 times
Research:
f08_research.png
f08_research.png (76.51 KiB) Viewed 1305 times
Production:
f08_production.png
f08_production.png (86.22 KiB) Viewed 1305 times

swaq
Space Dragon

#188 Post by swaq »

o01eg really did have an advantage in pretty much every category until late game, wow. I thought I had a pretty good start but even with that it's hard to keep up with 200% research + telepathy + Sly.

Oberlus's production boost when he went full concentration camps is pretty funny. Temporarily the highest production empire!

Hyperant
Space Kraken

#189 Post by Hyperant »

At one point it appears that o01eg had more firepower than the rest of the galaxy combined.

Fascinating how fast all that strength withered away.

Also fascinating that Oberlus managed to surpass even my own production. No wonder he put up long enough of a struggle until he self dismantled.
Monarch of the following realms:
-Lumin Federation
-Gamma Republic
-Holy Commune
-Supreme League
-Frost Syndicate

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#190 Post by Ophiuchus »

swaq wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:15 pm Graphs from turn 112.
Could you post population, please?
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

swaq
Space Dragon

#191 Post by swaq »

Additional graphs:
f08_population.png
f08_population.png (86.34 KiB) Viewed 1288 times
fo8_depopulation.png
fo8_depopulation.png (57.69 KiB) Viewed 1288 times
fo8_armedships.png
fo8_armedships.png (107.17 KiB) Viewed 1288 times
fo8_invaded.png
fo8_invaded.png (61.27 KiB) Viewed 1288 times

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#192 Post by Oberlus »

That pike on my PPs went 75% straight to my stockpile, o01eg blocked a pair of key systems, so I couldn't use it.

GG everyone. It was a very funny game I've enjoyed a lot.

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#193 Post by Ophiuchus »

Very interesting graphs. I can see some key moments in my game there. And I know one more small trick you guys were using. Still cant read how o01eg went down. Not enough concentration on research? Split of forces was the breaking point I guess.

Also liked the game. I also identified some technical obstacles to peaceful distributed expansionist strategy.
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#194 Post by Oberlus »

Ophiuchus wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:11 amAnd I know one more small trick you guys were using.
Which one?
Still cant read how o01eg went down. Not enough concentration on research? Split of forces was the breaking point I guess.
My reading is not enough military production to fight two enemy empires in two far away fronts.
I have no idea about what ship designs and fleet compositions were fighting on each side, which could have helped tipping the scales towards the Inquisition alliance.

swaq
Space Dragon

#195 Post by swaq »

Oberlus wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:06 pm
Ophiuchus wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:11 am Still cant read how o01eg went down. Not enough concentration on research? Split of forces was the breaking point I guess.
My reading is not enough military production to fight two enemy empires in two far away fronts.
I have no idea about what ship designs and fleet compositions were fighting on each side, which could have helped tipping the scales towards the Inquisition alliance.
Yeah, I'd say the two-front war was fatal. If he had teamed up with Oberlus at the beginning it would have been a very different game.

By the time I got to o01eg he was mostly building self-gravs with bombers and a plasma/death ray, I think. My fleet composition was always evolving, though mostly involved organic line hulls. Originally I went full lasers/plasmas + flak then switched to a hybrid plasma/fighters + chaff after eliminating L29Ah. When prepping for the o01eg invasion I built a bunch of double bombers. Eventually I was building self-gravs with plasmas/fighters and titans with death rays/spinal antimatter/fighters. At the end o01eg's mines made it pretty difficult to continue using my old ships with organic line hulls. They could only stay a turn or two before needing to retreat.

My gut feeling is that fighters are better to use as anti-fighters than flak with this targeting system because they can actually do some damage too. I think flak should probably be buffed in some way (cheaper, more shots, etc.).