Eleventh game on the multiplayer slow game server

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

Magnate
Space Dragon

Re: Eleventh game on the multiplayer slow game server

#226 Post by Magnate »

Oooh interesting. I'm up for that if Hyp wants to!

On starts, I don't know whose start wobbly is describing - both his and my starting systems had only our homeworlds. My start was not especially good but when Hyp and I exchanged species I suddenly had much more potential because I had a lot of Barren planets (poor for my Etty but adequate for George).

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#227 Post by wobbly »

Magnate wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:19 pm On starts, I don't know whose start wobbly is describing - both his and my starting systems had only our homeworlds. My start was not especially good but when Hyp and I exchanged species I suddenly had much more potential because I had a lot of Barren planets (poor for my Etty but adequate for George).
The planet stack 3 jumps to the right of Athens. I can't bring the map up to look what it's called any more.

Magnate
Space Dragon

#228 Post by Magnate »

Oh Malin, yes that was Dany's jewel in the crown. Very nice. He quit when I managed to take 4 of the 5 in one turn... (I waited for advanced troop pods to do it)

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#229 Post by Oberlus »

What? Hyperant missed a turn, that's new, right?

Magnate
Space Dragon

#230 Post by Magnate »

I'm sure last time I played Laenfa they had bad research!

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#231 Post by Oberlus »

Magnate wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:51 am I'm sure last time I played Laenfa they had bad research!
I'm sure they had avg. research for a long time (don't think they ever were bad).

Magnate
Space Dragon

#232 Post by Magnate »

Did they have bad industry then? I'm pretty sure they were bad at one of the two, not just bad troops. Maybe not. It's nice that the game evolves.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#233 Post by Oberlus »

Magnate wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:49 am Did they have bad industry then? I'm pretty sure they were bad at one of the two, not just bad troops. Maybe not. It's nice that the game evolves.
They had bad research and normal env. tolerance until August 2017, four years ago. It seems you don't like the species :lol:
https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/ ... A.focs.txt

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#234 Post by wobbly »

Magnate wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:19 pm On starts, I don't know whose start wobbly is describing - both his and my starting systems had only our homeworlds. My start was not especially good but when Hyp and I exchanged species I suddenly had much more potential because I had a lot of Barren planets (poor for my Etty but adequate for George).
I'm disliking gifting more and more all the time, as it too easily takes away away a race's weak points and uniqueness. What point is Gyshae's weak ships if they just swap and never build Gyshae? Seems different to when you have to capture a colony with weak military to get that perk. What point Etty being bad at production, when not really because you can build good production George colonies?

I guess there's good and bad to having gifting in the game, but mostly I don't like it. Any plans for this changing when influence is added to the game? I noticed allied repair became a policy, I'm wondering about something similar.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#235 Post by Oberlus »

wobbly wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:38 am I'm disliking gifting more and more all the time, as it too easily takes away away a race's weak points and uniqueness. What point is Gyshae's weak ships if they just swap and never build Gyshae? Seems different to when you have to capture a colony with weak military to get that perk. What point Etty being bad at production, when not really because you can build good production George colonies?

I guess there's good and bad to having gifting in the game, but mostly I don't like it. Any plans for this changing when influence is added to the game? I noticed allied repair became a policy, I'm wondering about something similar.
Agree. It bothers me less in allied-victory games, where you can see each alliance as a team, but still...

With influence, gifting colonies could consume IP, and gifted colonies could get a stability malus (much like being conquered), as well as other colonies of the same species (a smaller malus). We need to think about this.

Magnate
Space Dragon

#236 Post by Magnate »

I agree too. Giving gifted colonies zero happiness/PP/RP (like being conquered) we could do now. Then when influence is working that could be the resource that allows gifting. Bearing in mind you only have to give one colony to give your ally your good pilots/research/production, it can be quite expensive.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#237 Post by Oberlus »

Magnate wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:57 am Then when influence is working that could be the resource that allows gifting. Bearing in mind you only have to give one colony to give your ally your good pilots/research/production, it can be quite expensive.
Influence is working (try compiling master or installing the latest test build).
New thread to discuss gifting and how to balance it.

Hyperant
Space Kraken

#238 Post by Hyperant »

The Ensign's Gazette

The end is near

While we have been losing large swaths of our realm to both the Abyssals and the Cyberpots, we managed a small but symbolic victory. After years of harassment in the Solntze system due to the contact mine launchers, we have managed to finally take over Solntze I, an Abyssal controlled planet, with intelligence assistance from the Cyberpots.

The Ground Invasion proceeded in two stages. The first stage was launched to disorganize their defenses while the second stage carried the main teeth of the surface action.

While scouting the surface, we have found the remains of terraforming equipment. It would seem that their pollution goes even further, as there were plans to convert the volcanic planet into an ocean world. Do they have no respect for the natural features?

In other news, we issue an official statement to the Abyssals who have come to us with a proposal

We are more content with raiding your systems than joining forces with you.

Arrrrrgh
Monarch of the following realms:
-Lumin Federation
-Gamma Republic
-Holy Commune
-Supreme League
-Frost Syndicate

Magnate
Space Dragon

#239 Post by Magnate »

Bug report, turn 182:

At Ukko: Mines caused 112 damage to the Oberlus fleet Foreign fleet.

But they didn't. All his ships are at max hp, apart from the two that got shot during the combat.

Mines have worked before, just not on this fleet.

Magnate
Space Dragon

#240 Post by Magnate »

And again in turn 183, no damage, same message. They should be dying... wtf?