English language doubts (for FO documentation)

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

English language doubts (for FO documentation)

#1 Post by Oberlus »

Which one is correct (or how would be the correct form):
- "This planet has the Research Focus"
- "This planet has Research Focus"

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: English language doubts (for FO documentation)

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Neither of those is, to me, obviously wrong.

Neither is clear, though; do you mean the planet is currently set to (the) research focus or that (the) research focus is one of the focus settings that it could be set to?

I'd probably write "This planet can be set to research focus" or "This planet has the research focus available". No reason why and could include or exclude the "the" in either case.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#3 Post by Oberlus »

Thanks.

It's not about a specific sentence:

I found that there is no encyclopedia page for Research Focus (there is for every other foci), so I created one following Industry's page.
When I went to add references to that page in the stringtables relevant places I found there is no consensus on referencing planet foci:
  1. "(planet is) <meter> focused"
  2. "(planet is) [[metertype METER_<meter>]] focused"
  3. "(planet has [the]) <meter> focus"
  4. "(planet has [the]) [[encyclopedia <meter>_FOCUS_TITLE]]"
  5. "(planet has [the]) [[metertype METER_<meter>]] Focus"
Doubt 1: Should I add "the" in front of the "<meter> focus" occurrences that doesn't have it or remove "the" from the occurrences that does have it (there are many of the two cases). If none is better than the other, I'll remove them.

Doubt 2: I assume I should ensure that the game concepts and terms are linked to the corresponding pages whenever possible. But should I make all mentions to "has [the] <meter> focus" link the Pedia page of that meter focus (as in case d above) or to the meter stringtable entry (as in cases b and e)?
This affects all meters, not just Research. E.g., Industry boosts mentioned in the stringtables never link to the Pedia page, always (when they link) to the metertype (adding or not manually the work focus when needed).

Magnate
Space Dragon

#4 Post by Magnate »

There is a difference worth making clear, between the current focus of a planet, and the available foci of a planet. I suggest we use different wording to keep this clear:

"This planet is set to [the] Research focus" implies information about its current state. (I'm with Geoff that the definite article is optional, personally I think it's neater without.)

"This planet has [the] Research focus available" is clearly about availability.

"If a planet is set to Research focus" is a conditional about its current state.

"If a planet has Research focus available" is clearly different.

If we try to avoid using "has" without also using "available", we should avoid any confusion.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#5 Post by Oberlus »

Magnate wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:34 am "This planet has [the] Research focus available" is clearly about availability.
[...]
If we try to avoid using "has" without also using "available", we should avoid any confusion.
Talking about availability is not an issue. I haven't found that structure yet in the stringtables.
All sentences are about what focus is set. Examples:

"Increases Research in this/all/supply-connected planets by 0.1 per population when/if [the] Focus is set to Research"
"Increases Research in this/all/supply-connected planets with [the] Research Focus by 0.1 per population"
"When a planet with Special is focused on Research, all research focused planets get..."

So we use passive or active voice but always talking about what Focus is set.

My doubts are only about using or not [the] in front of Focus and about linking to the meter focus Pedia page or to the meter Pedia page.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#6 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Oberlus wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:32 amMy doubts are only about using or not [the] in front of Focus...
As before, neither of those is, to me, obviously wrong.
... linking to the meter focus Pedia page or to the meter Pedia page.
If it's talking about the focus, link to the focus. If it's talking about the meter outside the context of the focus, link to the meter. If it's not clear what is being linked, use your judgement.

It's not necessary to linkify every reference to a meter or focus; the first on a page or in a section of text if the page is big, is enough. Don't go out of your way to avoid linking, though.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#7 Post by Oberlus »

Geoff the Medio wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:54 am
Oberlus wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:32 amMy doubts are only about using or not [the] in front of Focus...
As before, neither of those is, to me, obviously wrong.
... linking to the meter focus Pedia page or to the meter Pedia page.
If it's talking about the focus, link to the focus. If it's talking about the meter outside the context of the focus, link to the meter. If it's not clear what is being linked, use your judgement.

It's not necessary to linkify every reference to a meter or focus; the first on a page or in a section of text if the page is big, is enough. Don't go out of your way to avoid linking, though.
Understood. No more doubts. Thanks.