Testers needed: Linux installer preview

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

Yoghurt
Programmer

#31 Post by Yoghurt »

Wolverine wrote:Oh yeah? I've done zillions of compilations and I know how to resolve problems. I have /usr/X11R6/lib in ld.so.conf. I did ldconfig and Scons didn't find it.
Once again, SCons did not look for it. It's g++ who didn't find it.
FO is working now, but I found some bugs in it. Especially the directory iterator from boost points to ~/save and should point to ~/.freeorion/save when loading game.
And it does it correctly here on my machine.
And there are many other numerous bugs I have found. If you want to hear about them I can write them down in other forum/thread.
Post them to the BTS. There's a link from the MainPage

Wolverine
Space Floater

#32 Post by Wolverine »

I have posted the bugs to the BTS.
The emperor wants to control outer space. Yoda wants to control inner space. That's the fundamental difference between the good and the bad sides of the force... - Mof, Human Traffic ;)

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#33 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Wolverine wrote:Switching resolution doesn't work from options. It works from command line. There is no fullscreen tick in option.
Switching resolution actually does work from the options screen, but you have to quit FO and restart it for the change to take effect..

These are really missing features, not bugs. The current options screen is preliminary and a bit experimental, so I didn't spend a whole lot of time testing it.

(You'll probably get buggy text space overflows throughout the game if you change the font size on the options screen, for example...)

muxec
Space Kraken

#34 Post by muxec »

Now installed SuSE linux. I'll try it later.

Wolverine
Space Floater

#35 Post by Wolverine »

Geoff the Medio wrote: Switching resolution actually does work from the options screen, but you have to quit FO and restart it for the change to take effect..
No it doesn't. When I'm trying to change to 1280x1024, restart FO it's still 1024x768. However it works from the command line.
Geoff the Medio wrote: These are really missing features, not bugs. The current options screen is preliminary and a bit experimental, so I didn't spend a whole lot of time testing it.

(You'll probably get buggy text space overflows throughout the game if you change the font size on the options screen, for example...)
I didn't change it. I have posted some bugs to the bugtracker. Those are quite critical. I'm glad to see in the most recent CVS that Sconstruct file has been improved.
The emperor wants to control outer space. Yoda wants to control inner space. That's the fundamental difference between the good and the bad sides of the force... - Mof, Human Traffic ;)

Geoff the Medio

#36 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Wolverine wrote:I have posted some bugs to the bugtracker. Those are quite critical.
Regarding "Game crashes after playing more than 100 turns", do you have a save file that reproduces the crash?

Wolverine
Space Floater

#37 Post by Wolverine »

Sure. I don't know how to post it however. Sourceforge bugtracker is running very slow for me. But I'll try to attach it to bug report.

Wolverine
Space Floater

#38 Post by Wolverine »

If you didn't notice yet two crashing saves are in the bugtracker.

Wolverine
Space Floater

#39 Post by Wolverine »

Yoghurt I'd like to ask you is it possible to tweak Scons to build static FO binary, but using OpenGL shared libs?

And the second question. I have FO up and running (except those bugs I have posted) on Mandriva 2005LE and I was wondering if you'd be interested in rpms for this system if I'd created them?

Wolverine
Space Floater

#40 Post by Wolverine »

And once again. Does AI work in current CVS? Because it sits stupidly doing nothing in my FO games. And also I have noticed that if I launch freeorion alone I see in ai***.log that AI's are connecting to server and then receive termination error. However if I issue:
freeoriond &; freeorion those errors are not occuring in those AI logs. Another bug?

Geoff the Medio

#41 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Wolverine wrote:Does AI work in current CVS?
No, and it's not supposed to. AI is not yet implemented. Yoghurt's planning to finish Python support after v0.3, which will be used to do the AI.

Wolverine
Space Floater

#42 Post by Wolverine »

Geoff... Wait a minute... Did I hear: Python?!

OMG. I'm currently occupied developing ultimate server management system for my to-be-launched-soon serverfarm. Guess in what language. ;) This is a part of larger project, mainly my own Linux distribution, that will at some point inherit AI (however this is still in early design phase) for routine system management. I was recently reading a lot of articles about scripting AI's and neural networks, because I'm seriously interested in this thing and at some point in future I'll need it. I also know C++ programming at decent level (not very good, but not bad, though).

So here's my offer. I can help you with AI. I can learn something about this in practice and you'll get another programmer. Especially if it's Python, because I'm quite good at it (though still improving my skills and constantly learning). What do you think? I have much spare time, because I work at home developing my own software, and slowly preparing to start my own hosting business, but until my ISP installs me 54Mbit/s connection I'm just working on my server management system. I don't have to go to the university until may 2006 and I have one year break from any job/school. I have plenty of spare time, sitting twelve to sixteen hours in front of my computer a day.

Geoff the Medio

#43 Post by Geoff the Medio »

I think you should talk to tzlaine (the programming lead) and Yoghurt (integrating Python) about contributing to AI programming, and perhaps ask Tyreth for developer access to CVS.

I also think you shouldn't get too overexcited right now, as (AFAIK) Yoghurt hasn't yet finished itegrating python, so there's nothing you can do for AI coding yet, and it's no use to get all excited now, and then annoyed and then discouraged later because he ends up taking longer to get it ready than you'd like...

noelte
Juggernaut

#44 Post by noelte »

In addition what geoff said, IMHO it's quite difficult to do AI coding right now. I would guess the whole system have to be stable to start doing AI coding. Anyway, seeing the ai doing anything else than retreating would be nice .... We are happy if you could support fo too. I don't think zach has anything to do with python support... Yoghurt is the right man.
Press any key to continue or any other key to cancel.
Can COWs fly?

Wolverine
Space Floater

#45 Post by Wolverine »

I was thinking yesterday about this and I have few ideas that could be implemented as a base for future AI system, even when the system is not finished/unbalanced. However I agree with you that if the Python scripting is not integrated there's no point getting overly excited about this.

From my point of view AI for FO seems to be complex thing, however it could be broken down to smaller pieces to make programming of AI easier. Before I decide to join I'll have to really take a look at internal mechanisms of FO. I have CVS code of FO, so I'll take a look at it.

One unrelated question though. Is anonymous CVS updated daily? Or is there another repository that's updated daily? Because when updating CVS I don't get any new changes for three days.