Fiftteent game on the multiplayer slow game server

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

Re: Fiftteent game on the multiplayer slow game server

#331 Post by Oberlus »

Ophiuchus wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:08 am Not really a bug - implementation ensures you get an academy bonus only once per species. The duplicate removal is necessary to enforce only-one-may-exist - each duplicate has a chance to get destroyed, so you may end up for some turns with duplicates or if you are really unlucky all duplicates get wiped out at the same time.

We could remove the building if population goes down to zero for less surprising effects though.
Is there a way to remove randomness here? Maybe remove all same-species instance of the building except for the oldest one?

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#332 Post by wobbly »

I was expectng to just get the bonus on 1 similar to mutiple industry centers or generators.

And the eawax were no longer happy there. The galaxy had become much more crowded since you left. The last in the galaxy(your asteroid planet) is around -12 happiness with a gaia special.

This is the trouble with eawax, you only want 1 or 2 for the shipyard so they end up genociding themselves instead of everyone else.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#333 Post by Oberlus »

wobbly wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:11 am I was expectng to just get the bonus on 1 similar to mutiple industry centers or generators.
I thought "Oh, right! Good idea". But problem is the bonus comes from setting the planet to stockpile focus, I think, and a player could set more than one expecting to get the bonuses, or not being aware that there were already other planets of the same species set to stockpile.

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#334 Post by LienRag »

Oberlus wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:59 am
Ophiuchus wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:08 am We could remove the building if population goes down to zero for less surprising effects though.
Is there a way to remove randomness here? Maybe remove all same-species instance of the building except for the oldest one?
Either of these are good. The second allows for the conquest of new buildings of the same specie (it'll get destroyed).
Needs to have a sitrep though.

Having only one getting the bonus would be confusing for players.

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#335 Post by Ophiuchus »

LienRag wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:08 pm
Oberlus wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:59 am
Ophiuchus wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:08 am We could remove the building if population goes down to zero for less surprising effects though.
Either of these are good. The second allows for the conquest of new buildings of the same specie (it'll get destroyed).
Needs to have a sitrep though.

Having only one getting the bonus would be confusing for players.
1) Adding an informative sitrep on destruction sounds good (if there is none yet).

2) If we want to remove randomness, we probably should remove the most recently acquired one. So if you are invading, that one should get destroyed. If you want to keep that one, you need to scrap the other one before.

Somebody wants to fix that?
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

o01eg
Programmer

#336 Post by o01eg »

Exhausted from becoming unfunny threesome we declared a draw. Saves will be published soon.
Gentoo Linux x64, gcc-11.2, boost-1.78.0
Ubuntu Server 22.04 x64, gcc-12, boost-1.74.0
Welcome to the slow multiplayer game at freeorion-lt.dedyn.io.Version 2024-03-15.b3de094.
Donations're welcome:BTC:bc1q007qldm6eppqcukewtfkfcj0naut9njj7audnm

o01eg
Programmer

#337 Post by o01eg »

Welcome to the slow multiplayer game at freeorion-lt.dedyn.io.Version 2024-03-15.b3de094.

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#338 Post by wobbly »

Had a bit of fun with the big ships before the end, but eventually late game gets tiring at least for me. Something interesting that I noticed: If you can get a scout behind enemy lines you can fly it around your opponents collective thought network disrupting the bonus. I'm not sure whether the other players even noticed I was doing it. Its easy to forget where you put it once its been built.

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#339 Post by wobbly »

I also tried out bombardment and the UI is broken and apparently has been forever. I have a suspicion bombing done well is actually effective but you're not going to get a lot of people testing it while its broken (and it probably isn't being fixed because noone bombs, a bit of a circle).

In multiplayer people tend to scorch earth when you invade. The advantage of bombers is they don't get used up, the way troopships do. They can just move on to the next planet or retreat for later use.

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#340 Post by Ophiuchus »

wobbly wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:51 am I also tried out bombardment and the UI is broken and apparently has been forever. I have a suspicion bombing done well is actually effective but you're not going to get a lot of people testing it while its broken (and it probably isn't being fixed because noone bombs, a bit of a circle).
I guess bombing will be more important in the latest builds because there is a influence cost associated with successful invasion/ownership of colonies, so you do not get so much out of invaded colonies.

Could you open a topic (or issue on github) about bombing/UI if there is none?
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#341 Post by Oberlus »

Ophiuchus wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:56 am Could you open a topic (or issue on github) about bombing/UI if there is none?
There is one:
https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/issues/672

There is one for bioterror too:
https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/issues/594

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#342 Post by LienRag »

Here are the screenshots for the turn I didn't get a sitrep (unless I'm really blind, which is a possibility) for the fleet I sent from Rossi to Caps.
Attachments
FO no strep last turn.png
FO no strep last turn.png (441.96 KiB) Viewed 1380 times
FO no sitrpe.png
FO no sitrpe.png (431.16 KiB) Viewed 1380 times

o01eg
Programmer

#343 Post by o01eg »

I've finished maintenance of servers so you could download saves from the game.

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#344 Post by LienRag »

o01eg wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:01 pm I've finished maintenance of servers so you could download saves from the game.
I don't know if this was a reply to my bug report, but anyway I did download the saves but don't really know what to do with them ?

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#345 Post by Oberlus »

LienRag wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 11:50 pm I did download the saves but don't really know what to do with them ?
You can load multiplayer saved games when creating a multiplayer game. In that window you have to assign (AI) players to each empire to be able to start/continue the game and then you can play around, check out graphs, poke around what other players did on each turn, and create bug reports with the necessary save file two turns before bug happened.