Fiftteent game on the multiplayer slow game server

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

Re: Fiftteent game on the multiplayer slow game server

#256 Post by Oberlus »

The bloodthirsty Ophiuchus empire, angry at themselves for failing to manage their forces and causing stupid losses, destroyed all the buildings in our sacred homeworld and put the population to die on forced work. We managed to recover the planet just one turn after that dirty and coward move, but the remnants of the concentration camps are still decimating our population there. We lost our cultural archives for good, and who knows how many people will keep dying there without us being able to stop it no matter what.
Ophiuchus empire, you better prepare, for we have a single purpose in this galaxy.

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#257 Post by Ophiuchus »

Hi everyone, good news! Our empire has a new leader, the great wobbly!!
He hopefully has more time on his hands than me, so enjoy a thrilling game!
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#258 Post by LienRag »

Ophiuchus wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:36 pm Hi everyone, good news!
I, for one, welcome our new Wobbly overlord...

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#259 Post by Oberlus »

Ophiuchus wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:36 pm Our empire has a new leader, the great wobbly!!
GG, Ophi. I'll need another game to get my vengeance!

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#260 Post by LienRag »

A sudden deadline appeared so I don't think that I'll be able to play much more than once a day until Friday.

(also I made a mistake at a critical moment due to me misreading the UI so I may lose the game quickly, which is not very motivating. I'm not going to ragequit and will try to fight to the last George but I may be less assiduous)

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#261 Post by Ophiuchus »

Oberlus wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:10 pm
Ophiuchus wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:36 pm Our empire has a new leader, the great wobbly!!
GG, Ophi. I'll need another game to get my vengeance!
that will be probably a 0.4.10+ game
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#262 Post by LienRag »

The deadline has been postponed, as you may have guessed from my activity.

Also, the mistake I made earlier finally bare no consequences : I hadn't noticed that I was a few PP shorts of completing the first turn of a fleet in construction, whose timing had to be precise. This because the next item on the production list was highlighted as getting a few PP to itself, which usually means that the item before it (my fleet, then) had full production and would arrive the turn I needed it.
Actually, the last item had its production from the Stockpile ! Which meant that my fleet was actually a few PP short and as such would be a turn too late, after what I figured would be 0o1g's attack on my second Capitol (Bobitt's former one). Which meant that I would lose all my Capitols (as Oberlus was going after my first), and also that I would lose the investment I made on this fleet, both of which meaning that I wouldn't be able to defend my second shipyard, while my last shipyard was too close to Oberlus' invasion force to stand a chance.
That's why I really thought that I lost the game on a stupid mistake (and also on bad UI : why isn't the Stockpile-originated Production in a different colour or brightness than regular production ? It's not the first time I make such a mistake, though usually the consequences are not so terrible).
But lo ! 0o1g waited too long¹ and now I'm back in the game ! My situation is still quite dire but it's definitely interesting and stimulating (maybe even a bit too much for my IRL duties, as the deadline has only been postponed) and now if I lose it'll be on me, not on the UI.

Actually I also lost a ship a few turns earlier again due to being in a hurry and to difficult to read UI, poor little ship sacrificed mercilessly by the incompetence of his leadership and still courageously running into his death without questioning orders ! Gone too soon, like a candle in the wind !
But though the dots of the fleets' path could be a darker hue from the triangles of the fleet themselves (I haven't tried yet Geoff's suggestion to modify the fleet icons, may I should) in order to help distinguish the later, this ship lost by accident was a drop in the ocean compared to what I lost by failing to properly anticipate my enemies' moves... so again, if I lose now, it's on me, not on the UI.

¹ Actually I was surprised by the battle result when he attacked, I knew that he would take heavy losses (and as such that my coming reinforcements would be able to repel his attack) but not that I would wipe him out without losing any major ship...

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#263 Post by LienRag »

There was a quite problematic bug, though :

A few test games earlier (in single player) I designed a ship.

This ship design appeared in the available ships when the right technology was researched.

I wanted an armoured version of this ship, so I updated the ship design and launched the production of a fleet of this design.

A few turns later, I had available Production Points, so I launched another batch of this design.

Alas, when this last batch was produced, I discovered that it was not the updated design but the original (and unarmoured) one !

That's not catastrophic as what this ship lost in armour, he made for it in firepower, and also because it was only a reasonably small batch, but this bug could lead to much worse consequences.
I think that I would be quite disappointed if I lost the game due to a bug... And this is typically what could happen if this very bug happens at a time when two quite balanced military forces try to take over each other, such a mishap in fleet composition can certainly doom the one who falls victim of it.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#264 Post by Oberlus »

11 turns today. I got speed face.

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#265 Post by Ophiuchus »

LienRag wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:42 pm There was a quite problematic bug, though :

This game i suddenly found out that i added mass drivers instead of flak. That made my fleets not so good at shooting down oberlus bombers. Yikes!!!

Fun aside, the ship designs are quirky in multiplayer at least.

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#266 Post by wobbly »

Ophiuchus wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:51 pm
LienRag wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:42 pm There was a quite problematic bug, though :

This game i suddenly found out that i added mass drivers instead of flak. That made my fleets not so good at shooting down oberlus bombers. Yikes!!!
I was wondering what the brilliant strategy behind those were...

o01eg
Programmer

#267 Post by o01eg »

Oberlus wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:48 pm 11 turns today. I got speed face.
Maybe I should start preparation for the next game.
Gentoo Linux x64, gcc-11.2, boost-1.78.0
Ubuntu Server 22.04 x64, gcc-12, boost-1.74.0
Welcome to the slow multiplayer game at freeorion-lt.dedyn.io.Version 2024-03-15.b3de094.
Donations're welcome:BTC:bc1q007qldm6eppqcukewtfkfcj0naut9njj7audnm

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#268 Post by LienRag »

Ophiuchus wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:51 pm This game i suddenly found out that i added mass drivers instead of flak. That made my fleets not so good at shooting down oberlus bombers. Yikes!!!

Fun aside, the ship designs are quirky in multiplayer at least.
It happened to me more than once in single player due to the somehow similar aspects of both graphics in the Design panel...
Both being guns, both being grayish.

But as much as we definitely should correct confusing UI, I think an actual bug (like this update reversion without any warning) should be considered a more important problem.
I had similar problems in single player so I was not that confused (though I thought this had been corrected ?) but for a beginner this would be totally incomprehensible.

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#269 Post by LienRag »

Oberlus wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:48 pm 11 turns today. I got speed face.
Yeah, you should slow down on eating all my planets, that's bad for your health at this speed.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#270 Post by Oberlus »

No problem, Gysache have three stomachs, George are good at eating rotting meat, and Replicon have strong jaws. And there is always Alka-seltzer.