Fiftteent game on the multiplayer slow game server

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

o01eg
Programmer

Re: Fiftteent game on the multiplayer slow game server

#226 Post by o01eg »

Looks like Ophi missed turn. Should I revert back to previous turn?
Gentoo Linux x64, gcc-11.2, boost-1.78.0
Ubuntu Server 22.04 x64, gcc-12, boost-1.74.0
Welcome to the slow multiplayer game at freeorion-lt.dedyn.io.Version 2024-03-15.b3de094.
Donations're welcome:BTC:bc1q007qldm6eppqcukewtfkfcj0naut9njj7audnm

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#227 Post by Geoff the Medio »

LienRag wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:37 amThese small triangles are hard to see amongst heavily dotted starlanes...
You can replace the fleet icons with larger textures to improve visibility. There are also controls to set the minimum zoom to use various icon sizes.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#228 Post by Oberlus »

Ophiuchus wrote:
o01eg wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:48 am Looks like Ophi missed turn. Should I revert back to previous turn?
Yes, he missed it.
Our stacks are watching each other. I didn't attack (obviously he didn't too) so there have been no losses in either side.

Ophiuchus, you decide, I don't mind if you need to roll back one turn.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#229 Post by Oberlus »

o01eg wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:48 am Looks like Ophi missed turn. Should I revert back to previous turn?
Has Ophiuchus said anything to you? Maybe we should pause game or what? If I attack his stack knowing it won't move, I'll feel dirty.

o01eg
Programmer

#230 Post by o01eg »

Oberlus wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:46 pm
Has Ophiuchus said anything to you? Maybe we should pause game or what? If I attack his stack knowing it won't move, I'll feel dirty.
He didn't contact me either.
Welcome to the slow multiplayer game at freeorion-lt.dedyn.io.Version 2024-03-15.b3de094.

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#231 Post by Ophiuchus »

o01eg wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:03 pm
Oberlus wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:46 pm
He didn't contact me either.
Sorry guys, for being the slow one here. I make sure to make the most important orders and then leave hoping to find the time to give less important orders later. If I dont make it I have the maximum time for finding time again. Seems the only way to take the stress a bit out for me.

So just assume i did my orders if my turn times out. If somebody had the time to take over the empire that would be more proper but it (barely) works this way.
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#232 Post by Oberlus »

Ophiuchus wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:27 pm So just assume i did my orders if my turn times out.
Ah, OK. Good to know.

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#233 Post by LienRag »

LienRag wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:54 pm Starting tonight, I won't be able to play more than once a day.
Of course, I'll try to play two turns in a row then if it's possible.
I don't know for how long this will be the case; I hope a few days only, but can give no guarantee..
FYI I was told the problem would be solved yesterday, then today, and now they say it will not be fixed before next tuesday...

drkosy
Space Dragon

#234 Post by drkosy »

Tomorrow I will leave home to be on a one week journey mostly without internet. So I decided to send my two last scouts to the void and concede. If that somehow went wrong you are welcome to dismiss my empire :evil:
Want some fresh experience? Try Kosymod

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#235 Post by LienRag »

Yesterday I was able to play two turns in a row, good.
Tonight I came back to play and the turn is not done (I can connect once a day, as I explained before; not specifically to FO, to the Internet in general).
So a new turn will begin in one hour, when I will not be there anymore, which means that I can't play it tonight.
What happens if I can come back tomorrow (as planned) but a bit later than in 24 hours ? Will I lose a turn ?

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#236 Post by Oberlus »

LienRag wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:34 pm Yesterday I was able to play two turns in a row, good.
Tonight I came back to play and the turn is not done (I can connect once a day, as I explained before; not specifically to FO, to the Internet in general).
So a new turn will begin in one hour, when I will not be there anymore, which means that I can't play it tonight.
What happens if I can come back tomorrow (as planned) but a bit later than in 24 hours ? Will I lose a turn ?
The turn time is 23h. If you play your turn at time X, and the last player plays in less than an hour (so turn advances), next turn will end before X+24h and so you could miss a turn.
When you are in that situation, you could try the trick that Ophiuchus is using: connect, issue your orders, wait a bit (I think it is very short time and that you can check it in the server messages about saved turn, but o01eg knows for sure) and disconnect without pressing "Turn". Your empire won't be registered as "ready" (so turn won't advance until the 23h after turn start), but your orders will be saved and executed when turn advances. That way you know you can stay away for up to 46 hours since last time you played.

Alternatively we could ask o01eg to change turn time to 47 hours. It won't necessarily slow down gameplay (if we keep pressing "turn" when we are ready) but will relieve you and Ophiuchus of some stress I think?

For today (and tomorrow), don't worry. Turn will advance in about one hour, so you'll have more than 24 hours since you played your turn.

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#237 Post by Ophiuchus »

Next week will be even more stressful for me kindergardens are closed for holiday and I will take care of them. So I totally support delays if acceptable ;)

One general thing. I think 24 hours is not a good default.
If you are able to roughly do your turn every day at the same time the time box starts slipping (if you do not let the turn time out, but if you let it time out you can't do two turns in a row). So I guess for game advance it is important that the most time constrained person(?) does two turns in a row.

27hours or so might be more sensible, or some other way to prevent the box from slipping (e.g. if you put in your turn in the last three hours before advance, turn time does not change). Then one can build a routine around it
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#238 Post by LienRag »

I was able to sneak out a dailight connection so problem averted.
For now at least...
Last edited by LienRag on Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

o01eg
Programmer

#239 Post by o01eg »

Ophiuchus wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:33 am 27hours or so might be more sensible, or some other way to prevent the box from slipping (e.g. if you put in your turn in the last three hours before advance, turn time does not change). Then one can build a routine around it
Originally I choose 23 hours from FreeCiv example. It was used there to uniformly distribute turn changes for all timezones.

I'm fine with increasing timeout because in most cases we don't require full timeout.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#240 Post by Oberlus »

All Gysache worlds are shouting, screaming, crying, for joy. (the English expression "whoop for joy" is too dull.)
The marauding fleet of looters that has been terroryzing Gysache and hiding within ion storms to avoid our forces was decimated not so long ago, and now the great Etty army with enslaved Eaxaw pilots that threatened the heart of our territory and our sacred homeworld has fall to a surprise attack* from our combined force of noble Gysache, reeducated George, and brave Eaxaw refugees. Many lives were lost in that epic battle, but victory is ours.
We again can see a bright future for this galaxy. Peace, serenity and freedom will be our motto again!

* Ophiuchus missed a turn after he put a fleet at one hop from my main fleet. Meh.