Fiftteent game on the multiplayer slow game server

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

Re: Fiftteent game on the multiplayer slow game server

#316 Post by LienRag »

Oberlus wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:51 am
wobbly wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:21 am Soon, Mr Oberlus, soon we fight. I'm seeing a lot of blue ships on the board, but they do look a little ... small.
Indeed! I was so stressed during the first ~120 turns (first harrased by LR, then also Ophiuchus) that I would keep all my planets set to industry and focus my little research on the most important for immediate survival. Therefore, I would not dare to devote any RP to get the expensive self-gravs. Now it's a bit too late, but if we manage to make this a little longer I could get solar hulls :D
So you still haven't understood that I wasn't "harassing you" but entirely bluffing the whole time ?
I basically had no military, so the very small tactical advantage I had by not being bad pilot disappeared when you built your first batch of military ships (a much stronger batch that I had expected, by the by)...

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#317 Post by Oberlus »

LienRag wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:41 am So you still haven't understood that I wasn't "harassing you" but entirely bluffing the whole time ?
It's you who doesn't understand many things, pal.
You sent me all your military forces at the very beginning, and that's what I call harass. Certainly not invade, since you could do nothing but delay me, as we already talked.
Then I got Ophiuchus' huge stack on the other border and I could not devote my military to you as I would have liked.
Capisce?

Anyways, dead man talking? :twisted:

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#318 Post by LienRag »

Oberlus wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:45 am
You sent me all your military forces at the very beginning, and that's what I call harass.
Capisce indeed.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#319 Post by Oberlus »

LienRag wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:47 am Capisce indeed.
Good.
Now you can concede.

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#320 Post by LienRag »

There's an option for that ?

Anyway I think that as long as I'm able to not delay the game too much and I still have warships, I'll probably stay to see what's happening.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#321 Post by Oberlus »

LienRag wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:48 pm There's an option for that ?

Anyway I think that as long as I'm able to not delay the game too much and I still have warships, I'll probably stay to see what's happening.
Yes, there's an option, between Save Game and Exit to Menu (dunno the words in French).

And that's OK, yes.

I can see your warships :twisted:

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#322 Post by LienRag »

I saw it, thanks. Never knew it was there...

Two things surprised me : aren't we supposed to get a sitrep when your detection range went to 200 ?

And I was eliminated in turn 163 I believe, but I still have an outpost ?

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#323 Post by Oberlus »

LienRag wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:07 pm I saw it, thanks. Never knew it was there...
If you are too used to that menu in single player games you stop looking at it, but it is different in multiplayer.
Two things surprised me : aren't we supposed to get a sitrep when your detection range went to 200 ?
Yeah, I think so. I guess you missed it between all the fuss.
And I was eliminated in turn 163 I believe, but I still have an outpost ?
If you didn't concede, I guess once you only have outposts you are eliminated. Nice! I didn't know it.
It makes sense to me. No population and no ships to conquer populations or to mess around --> no need to keep playing (at least in MP).
I think one can keep playing with just an scout.

You should have moved one of those invisible ships to o01eg's space long ago, it seems.

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#324 Post by wobbly »

Better luck next time LienRag

Oberlus:

the cuckoos fly south
sleeping titans awake
symbiots cower

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#325 Post by Oberlus »

Wobbly:

MOAR DAKKA!

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#326 Post by LienRag »

Oberlus wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:22 pm
LienRag wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:07 pm Two things surprised me : aren't we supposed to get a sitrep when your detection range went to 200 ?
Yeah, I think so. I guess you missed it between all the fuss.
I looked twice though, so I still may be wrong but I do believe that I didn't get it.
Has anyone got that sitrep ?

Oberlus wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:22 pm
LienRag wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:07 pm And I was eliminated in turn 163 I believe, but I still have an outpost ?
If you didn't concede, I guess once you only have outposts you are eliminated. Nice! I didn't know it.
It makes sense to me. No population and no ships to conquer populations or to mess around --> no need to keep playing (at least in MP).
I guess that makes sense, yes. But then Bobitt and DrKosy should have gone down long ago, what was the use of their scout to mess around or conquer population ?

Oberlus wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:22 pm You should have moved one of those invisible ships to o01eg's space long ago, it seems.
I got trounced by their lack of fuel - I forgot that the new rules about Fuel efficiency meant that Extra Fuel Tank meant nothing, even with Deuterium Fuel.
I'm not sure that it's entirely balanced, though.

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#327 Post by LienRag »

wobbly wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:21 pm Better luck next time LienRag
Thanks.
Though, I was actually extremely lucky : without Bobitt turning to AI I would not have survived the early game after I botched the negotiation with Oberlus.
Also, the fact that I was not at war with Bobitt when it turned AI was a huge advantage for me comparatively to 0o1g - I nearly was able to rush Bobitt's Capitol by surprise, my fleet was two jumps from it when the AI got Orbital Construction and that swapped Supply many systems away, rendering the assault impossible as I suddenly hadn't enough fuel. I had to take minor planets first, which means that the AI built ships and turned to Protection focus, which means that suddenly I didn't have enough ships to rush it...

(so yes indeed, if I had accepted Oberlus' deal offer as it was, I may have actually won the game since taking Bobitt's Empire would have compensated for whatever comparative advantage Oberlus was getting over me by the exchange, but I don't think that anybody could have predicted Bobbitt's turning to AI - also I was a bit reluctant to rush a new player completely¹ so when I thought we could have a deal Oberlus and I, I planned for peaceful development for a while, which would have needed space to develop, hence the necessity of discussing good frontiers with Oberlus before agreeing to the deal)

¹ Yes it's meta-gaming and I know it's bad, but sometimes it's difficult to avoid.

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#328 Post by Ophiuchus »

LienRag wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:49 pm I got trounced by their lack of fuel - I forgot that the new rules about Fuel efficiency meant that Extra Fuel Tank meant nothing, even with Deuterium Fuel.
For most combat vessels it is like that.

Deuterium fuel is cheap to research. Energy frigate and endosymbiotic are probably the best option for long range war ships (and of course you can use a solar hull for refueling anything).
Organic hull or flux bubble is going ten hops with it (with antimatter 13 i think). Protoplasmic is probably crazy at antimatter level (17 or something).

Else your military relies on your logistics. My symbiotics were working quite well for a while deep inside oberlus space (sometimes opening up a refuel opportunity on the way).
Last edited by Ophiuchus on Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#329 Post by wobbly »

Minor bug. I had a laenfa and an eawax colony both with interspecies academies. The eawax died out leaving the building remaining. I built a laenfa colony. On finish it removed both duplicate academies.

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#330 Post by Ophiuchus »

wobbly wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:52 am Minor bug. I had a laenfa and an eawax colony both with interspecies academies. The eawax died out leaving the building remaining. I built a laenfa colony. On finish it removed both duplicate academies.
Not really a bug - implementation ensures you get an academy bonus only once per species. The duplicate removal is necessary to enforce only-one-may-exist - each duplicate has a chance to get destroyed, so you may end up for some turns with duplicates or if you are really unlucky all duplicates get wiped out at the same time.

We could remove the building if population goes down to zero for less surprising effects though.

And that was eaxaw homeworld. A shame to put Laenfa there.
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!