Sixteen game on the multiplayer slow game server

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

Re: Sixteen game on the multiplayer slow game server

#151 Post by wobbly »

Geoff the Medio wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 6:32 am
o01eg wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 5:48 amDo exchange fails if empire don't have other assets in a system then exchanging?
If I recall correctly, the recipient of a gift needs to have something present in the same system to receive it.
You used to be able to do a mutual swap. e.g. each empire has 1 ship in system. empire A gives ship to empire B, empire B gives ship to empire A

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#152 Post by wobbly »

I'm trying to remember that old star wars track. Goes something like:

turn turn turn turn de turn turn turn

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#153 Post by Oberlus »

I think it was
turn turn turn turn de turn turn de turn

PS: it was full of flats and sharps (black keys in the piano).

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#154 Post by Oberlus »

LienRag, is this the first time you play with Sly?

danyspin97
Space Floater

#155 Post by danyspin97 »

Growth is borked in this game. I have systems with "Adequate" habitability that haven't reached half of the target population in 20-30 turns. The change is ~0.15 per turn. My spieces doesn't have any malus on that....

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#156 Post by Oberlus »

danyspin97 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:43 pm Growth is borked in this game. I have systems with "Adequate" habitability that haven't reached half of the target population in 20-30 turns. The change is ~0.15 per turn. My spieces doesn't have any malus on that....
I think growth has been (unintentionally?) halved.

The increase per turn general formula hasn't been changed in years. It is:

Pop * [[GROWTH_RATE_FACTOR]] * (TargetPop + 1 - Pop)

Standard GROWTH_RATE_FACTOR is (as per our game version) 0.005, 0.0075 with the growth policy, 0.0 with the no_growth policy.
The factor pre-influence (v0.4.9) was 0.01.

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#157 Post by LienRag »

Oberlus wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 6:50 am LienRag, is this the first time you play with Sly?
With this version of the game, yes.

Obviously, also in Multiplayer.

Didn't expect you and Wobbly to reach 50 detection that early...

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#158 Post by Oberlus »

LienRag wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:36 pm With this version of the game, yes.
Regardless, I found weird that you outposted GGs out of supply, instead of directly colonizing them, knowing as you should that Sly are horrible at supply plus that outposts doesn't have any boost to stealth so you can't rely on them to supply planets close to enemies.
LienRag wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:36 pm Didn't expect you and Wobbly to reach 50 detection that early...
First detection tech and the Active Scanning policy.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#159 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Oberlus wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:16 pmI think growth has been (unintentionally?) halved.

Standard GROWTH_RATE_FACTOR is (as per our game version) 0.005, 0.0075 with the growth policy, 0.0 with the no_growth policy.
Yes, but you can adopt the Population policy to boost growth back to [edit]closer to[/edit] what it was. You know, with all those spare social policy slots you can't find anything to put in...

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#160 Post by Oberlus »

Geoff the Medio wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:32 pm
Oberlus wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:16 pmI think growth has been (unintentionally?) halved.

Yes, but you can adopt the Population policy to boost growth back to what it was.
Not the way it was. It was 0.0100. With POPULATION you get +50% of 0.0050, so up to 0.0075, which is still 25% slower.
I'm not complaining, I think it suites the new pace.

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#161 Post by wobbly »

Oberlus wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:29 pm
LienRag wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:36 pm With this version of the game, yes.
Regardless, I found weird that you outposted GGs out of supply, instead of directly colonizing them, knowing as you should that Sly are horrible at supply plus that outposts doesn't have any boost to stealth so you can't rely on them to supply planets close to enemies.
LienRag wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:36 pm Didn't expect you and Wobbly to reach 50 detection that early...
First detection tech and the Active Scanning policy.
While some of it was strange ( like the 2 stranded GG outposts) I actually think supply connected Sly is viable if you have a couple of conveniently positioned tiny/small planets or capture a native. It just means you need actual military defenses. I do think you got greedy and overstretched there, when you build outposts too close to other peoples supply you are building a highway back to your homeworld.

Well, we'll see how it turns out, plenty of game still.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#162 Post by Oberlus »

wobbly wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:27 pm supply connected Sly is viable if you have a couple of conveniently positioned tiny/small planets or capture a native. It just means you need actual military defenses.
I agree, that's viable. But as you say, not if you get greedy. Anyways, I prefer going distributed hidden
Sly, with his high stealth and stockpile, the usual abundance of GGs scattered around, and their bad pilots, can do nice going the stealth route and completely skipping military for faster early growth. A couple of outposts? sure, not only close to your HW and far from enemies supply lines. Close to enemies, stealth colony ships only, so that they can't capture anything.

danyspin97
Space Floater

#163 Post by danyspin97 »

Geoff the Medio wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:32 pm You know, with all those spare social policy slots you can't find anything to put in...
I have too many economic slots but not enough social...

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#164 Post by Oberlus »

danyspin97 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:27 pm
Geoff the Medio wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:32 pm You know, with all those spare social policy slots you can't find anything to put in...
I have too many economic slots but not enough social...
It's hard to tell when Geoff tells a joke, uh? :lol: :lol: :lol:

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#165 Post by LienRag »

Oberlus wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:57 pm
wobbly wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:27 pm supply connected Sly is viable if you have a couple of conveniently positioned tiny/small planets or capture a native. It just means you need actual military defenses.
I agree, that's viable. But as you say, not if you get greedy. Anyways, I prefer going distributed hidden
Sly, with his high stealth and stockpile, the usual abundance of GGs scattered around, and their bad pilots, can do nice going the stealth route and completely skipping military for faster early growth. A couple of outposts? sure, not only close to your HW and far from enemies supply lines. Close to enemies, stealth colony ships only, so that they can't capture anything.
I didn't expect to find a Galaxy that crowded, I thought we were pursuing the principle of having a bigger Galaxy each time in order to see what the server could handle.
Also without the Propaganda Broadcast bug, expansion would have been much slower for everybody, that added to my miscalculations (I piled a lot of Influence early to the detriment of expansion, which got finally useless since everybody's floating in Influence).

Remember too that the -10 stability bonus to disconnected planets makes playing the stealthy way nearly impossible.

And I'm a bit stubborn and tend to not revise strategies quickly enough when they prove inappropriate for the situation.
wobbly wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:27 pm Well, we'll see how it turns out, plenty of game still.
If I keep making stupid military mistakes, that's not guaranteed (at least for me).