Sixteen game on the multiplayer slow game server

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

Re: Sixteen game on the multiplayer slow game server

#346 Post by LienRag »

Oberlus wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:17 am I destroyed like 96 ships.
Oh, GG then. Very nice move. And ending with many ships reduced to around 5-15% of their structure without losing any is certainly a feat !

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#347 Post by LienRag »

I was stuck in the lobby many times for quite long times.

Maybe that's what prevent drkosy from playing his turn ?

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#348 Post by Oberlus »

LienRag wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:03 pm I was stuck in the lobby many times for quite long times.

Maybe that's what prevent drkosy from playing his turn ?
AFAIK, drkosy has little time to play and will connect only once or twice a day, and never on working hours.

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#349 Post by LienRag »

Yep, but if I understand his pattern he would normally have connected once since last turn yesterday.
So my hypothesis is that maybe he did, didn't get past the lobby, and didn't have time to wait longer.

Or maybe I just counted wrong, that's another possibility.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#350 Post by Oberlus »

LienRag wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:02 pm Oh, GG then. Very nice move. And ending with many ships reduced to around 5-15% of their structure without losing any is certainly a feat !
Certainly not GG yet (mostly chaff, and no real conquests yet).
And not losing any ship is more luck than a feat. I was quite confident most would survive, but not losing a single ship was a surprise.

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#351 Post by LienRag »

If I understand correctly there is zero artistic species in the Galaxy ?

Shouldn't there be a random generator rule to include at least one (if the number of Species in the created Galaxy reaches a certain threshold) ?

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#352 Post by Oberlus »

My Etty are being rather artistic, at least in the art of killing stuff without losing a single ship :twisted:
Also the fireworks are awesome.

Edit: LR, why you not helping wobbly?

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#353 Post by LienRag »

Oberlus wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:02 am My Etty are being rather artistic, at least in the art of killing stuff without losing a single ship :twisted:
Indeed. GG again.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#354 Post by Oberlus »

LienRag wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:53 am GG again.
It seems you use GG as I use WP. Isn't it GG supposed to be said only when game is (nearly) over?

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#355 Post by LienRag »

I'm not very versed in gamers lingo, I must admit.
WP it is then.

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#356 Post by LienRag »

How does "Allied Supply" work ?

Is it only Supply to ship fuel (and fighters I guess, didn't check) ?

It was written (in the Pedia ?) that it provides also for ship parts (like Rock Armor).

It provides for Growth bonus that are owned by the same Empire, I checked it.

I believed that it provided too for Growth bonus owned by allies but apparently not (maybe an idea for an Policy ?).

It provides for connection to a Solar Orbital Generator and Industrial Center.

Does it provide to other boni as well ?

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#357 Post by wobbly »

I'm worried. My empires are held up by broken influence bonuses from environmentalism. When this crutch is fixed, large empires cease to function. The proportion of planets needed for influence generation is too high at the moment, at least in my opinion.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#358 Post by Oberlus »

wobbly wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:49 am I'm worried. My empires are held up by broken influence bonuses from environmentalism. When this crutch is fixed, large empires cease to function. The proportion of planets needed for influence generation is too high at the moment, at least in my opinion.
In current game, the empires we have are actually no large IMO. Almost every game vs AI I've played had many more planets before even being decided.
We need ways to reduce influence upkeep itself (reduce the multiplier).

I'm trying to save enough IP to get centralization and then indoctrination to get that extra +1 IP per planet (but bye bye RP), but the IP cost of both policies is above 650 IP due to population size of my empire. I'm better off keeping my colonies to industry to conquer then depopulate (evacuate) planets until all enemies are dead. It's sad for a 4x game.
Policies cost must not be linear to empire population size.

Only thanks to the buggy OP distrib. thought comp. I am able to do stuff in this game, otherwise game would have been slow and impossible to succeed in any endeavor.

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#359 Post by LienRag »

There are two separate problems :
- First, you're still colonizing nearly everything, which is exactly what the Influence mechanisms were designed to prevent.
So if you complain that you can't colonize everything because of Influence cost, it's not a bug, it's a feature¹.

- Second, and this is structural (and I warned about it before the Influence were in master, IIRC) : when an Empire has found its optimal shape considering Influence costs, he still has to conquer enemy planets, that will break the conqueror's Influence calculations.
Of course, these Influence calculations are to be made including enemy planets that the conqueror is set to conquer, but since there's a quasi-infinity of them (since the conquered can settle new planets with the freed Influence cost as long as the Galaxy is not fully colonized²) it's not a matter of careful planning but of conquering then abandoning planets, which is quite tedious and not exactly conqueror-like.
There is a need for "vassalization" mechanisms, and ones that do not end with all the Galaxy being settled by vassals either (this second part being the hard part, I don't see how it's possible).

¹ One thing is counter-productive though imho, removing the focus-independant Supply bonus of some techs. Also making Space Elevators disliked by many Species. In order to have a large Empire with a reasonable number of planets, one must have high Supply value, preferably not dependent on focus (since the logistics-focused planets will cost Influence, which is already scarce).

² Note that having the Galaxy entirely colonized is exactly what we do not want and what the Influence mechanisms were designed to prevent.

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#360 Post by LienRag »

Apart from that, I don't have Artificial Minds neither in the game nor in the FOCS files.
Is that how it was supposed to be ?
Why ?
I don't remember reading anything about that...