Sixteen game on the multiplayer slow game server

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

drkosy
Space Dragon

Re: Sixteen game on the multiplayer slow game server

#166 Post by drkosy »

Also without the Propaganda Broadcast bug, expansion would have been much slower for everybody, that added to my miscalculations (I piled a lot of Influence early to the detriment of expansion, which got finally useless since everybody's floating in Influence).
I'm not floating in IP, it's more to wait for the colonies to grow that it's worth setting one to influence and loose the NAI-Bonus...
For me colonization has come to zero due to lack of IP generation, making the game a bit boring. Without the Propaganda Broadcast Bug it would even be more worse :roll: O.K. there are still plans to forge, strategies to test and such things but for me the pace could be faster.

Early August I go on holiday and thought the game will be finished till then. Didn't look so at the moment...
Want some fresh experience? Try Kosymod

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#167 Post by Oberlus »

drkosy wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:09 pm For me colonization has come to zero due to lack of IP generation, making the game a bit boring. Without the Propaganda Broadcast Bug it would even be more worse :roll:
You (and me, and everybody) need ENVIRONMENTALISM. It hits hard on production (-5 PP per planet, totally kills automation techs) but gives a great stability bonus (+10) and a much needed +2 to IP, per colony.
It really helps setting many more planets.
drkosy wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:09 pm for me the pace could be faster.
Agree. This needs a shitload of balance tweaks and probably more content. WIP.

danyspin97
Space Floater

#168 Post by danyspin97 »

There are really just a few ways to:

Generate Influence
Increase stability
Improve growth
Generate Science with spieces that prefer focus on Industry (or have bad Science).

Apart from this, couldn't some spieces like the influence focus?

Growth change really killed the pace for me. Yea there is the growth policy but just getting it while doing other things requires a lot of turns (and IP points too!).

Is there any way to know the cost of a policy before researching it?

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#169 Post by wobbly »

LienRag wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:33 pm Remember too that the -10 stability bonus to disconnected planets makes playing the stealthy way nearly impossible.
Except for the bit where neither Sly or Laenfa actually have this penalty

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#170 Post by Oberlus »

danyspin97 wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:54 pm Is there any way to know the cost of a policy before researching it?
It's indicated under the policy name in the Pedia page, I think.

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#171 Post by wobbly »

wobbly wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:04 pm
LienRag wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:33 pm Remember too that the -10 stability bonus to disconnected planets makes playing the stealthy way nearly impossible.
Fulver on the other hand do, and I'm not sure if they should or shouldn't. Is this intended or an oversight?

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#172 Post by Geoff the Medio »

danyspin97 wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:54 pm...couldn't some spieces like the influence focus?
Sure... Can you suggest some that would be good to give that preference?

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#173 Post by LienRag »

Really ???????
Since when ?

If that's true, I totally fscked my game indeed...

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#174 Post by wobbly »

LienRag wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:42 pm
Really ???????
Since when ?

If that's true, I totally fscked my game indeed...
21st Dec 2020

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#175 Post by LienRag »

Wow.
I believe that I played Sly at least once since that date and I never noticed that.

Stupid me !

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#176 Post by wobbly »

So I don't mind slower growth, as I suspect it gives a little more leeway to empires which start with less planets. However I think I'd prefer 0.0075 and 0.01. In between where it is now and where it was before. Danny the other way to increase the rate is any tech that increases max. pop.

Agree on more stability options. Also mention that crays dislike of GG generators and scanning facilities is fairly harsh.

Also note that we are playing with halved RP and PP costs. The default would be even slower right now.

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#177 Post by LienRag »

wobbly wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:52 am Also mention that crays dislike of GG generators and scanning facilities is fairly harsh.
Well, as Geoff mentioned, dislikes have been created mostly at random to test the mechanism of likes/dislikes, and they would need a good balance pass (or probably many).

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#178 Post by LienRag »

Though, one problem that this dislike of GGG brings is that in many Gas Giants I don't build one, and so I get the sitrep "X is a perfect place for a GGG..." for each of them.
Of course I can "ignore this sitrep definitively" but each time I quit and restart the game (i.e, most time after I play my turn) this setting is reset and the sitrep comes back.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#179 Post by Oberlus »

LienRag wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:44 am Though, one problem that this dislike of GGG brings is that in many Gas Giants I don't build one, and so I get the sitrep "X is a perfect place for a GGG..." for each of them.
Of course I can "ignore this sitrep definitively" but each time I quit and restart the game (i.e, most time after I play my turn) this setting is reset and the sitrep comes back.
Two workarounds:
- Add a GGG (at the end or top of queue, whatever you find better) and pause it. Drawback is it clutters the queue.
- Remove from your local FOCS files the offending sitrep. That triggers checksum error when connecting to server but nothing else.

Solution would be to make the sitrep trigger only once, maybe by activating it only on the most recent of the two events "got GGG tech" and "invaded or colonized this GG".

drkosy
Space Dragon

#180 Post by drkosy »

You (and me, and everybody) need ENVIRONMENTALISM. It hits hard on production (-5 PP per planet, totally kills automation techs) but gives a great stability bonus (+10) and a much needed +2 to IP, per colony.
Did't know the bonus is that high, it's not exactly written in the pedia and I don't scan all focs-files for numbers. Anyway, terraforming wasn't on my recent research path so it's quite a way to go to get it. That -5 PP is huge (GG-Bonus actually) My production would become close to zero...
Is there any way to know the cost of a policy before researching it?
Some of the policies have IP cost dependent on population. That means the time you look in the pedia might give you wrong numbers for the cost. I think it's hard to plan the policy path. I always save IP till I can take the policy, sometimes switching planets to influence till I have the policy. At late game it's sometimes hard to catch a policy because your pop growth so fast.
Sure... Can you suggest some that would be good to give that preference?
I would propose all good / great influence species (they are good at it - they like it): Denthereen, Phinnert, Humans, Scylor etc. With that new system of likes / dislikes there could even be two foci to like for a species (e.g. scylor -> science and influence, human -> science, production and influence)
Want some fresh experience? Try Kosymod