Linux users: which Distribution are you running?

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

Which distribution will you be running FreeOrion on?

Debian Sarge (current stable)
3%
Debian testing/unstable
16%
ubuntu
27%
other Debian based (Knoppix etc)
No votes
SuSE
14%
Fedora Core
8%
Gentoo
24%
Mandriva
5%
Slackware
No votes
other (please tell which)
3%

Total votes: 37

quork
Krill Swarm

#31 Post by quork »

Geoff the Medio wrote:Are you using the current CVS GG? Based on what tzlaine told me, I'd suggest getting the 0.6.0 version of GG from the GG site, instead. That might fix some of the compilation problems FO is having... CVS FO with 0.6.0 GG compiles and runs fine for me... (though I'm on WinXP)
I'm using
CVSROOT=:pserver:[email protected]:/cvsroot/gigi

and 'cvs update' daily. I use 'cvs up' before every compilation attempt. Latest cvs up I've done at 11:20 GMT today. (about 3/4 hour before)

GG.pc contains 0.6.0

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#32 Post by Geoff the Medio »

I'm not sure what the difference is, or if it's relevant to your problem, but tzlaine said:

Are you sure you're using the latest FO sources, and the current GG release (NOT the latest GG CVS)?

And suggested I use the command:

"cvs up -r GIGI_VERSION_0_6_0"

(though I ended up getting it from the link on the sourceforge page)

quork
Krill Swarm

#33 Post by quork »

Geoff the Medio wrote:I'm not sure what the difference is, or if it's relevant to your problem, but tzlaine said:

Are you sure you're using the latest FO sources, and the current GG release (NOT the latest GG CVS)?

And suggested I use the command:

"cvs up -r GIGI_VERSION_0_6_0"

(though I ended up getting it from the link on the sourceforge page)
OK, thanks for info. I've posted this information at GiGi CVS compilation page at http://www.freeorion.org/index.php/GiGi.

I've updated freeorion compilation wiki at: http://www.freeorion.org/index.php/Comp ... quirements

quork
Krill Swarm

#34 Post by quork »

OK, with gigi from 0_6_0 branch it compiles cleanly.
But it's slow as hell on 1GHz P3 /w ATI Radeon.
FreeOrion emits warning:

WARNING: You are using the SDL dummy video driver!

Can I improve the game speed somehow?
Is it possible that SDL is slowing down the FreeOrion right now?

Yoghurt
Programmer

#35 Post by Yoghurt »

quork wrote:(I'm debianizing libgigi and FreeOrion builds).
I've already debianized libgigi and working on FO. Instead of packaging in parallel, we should combine our efforts, drop me a PM, so we can exchange what we have so far.

Yoghurt
Programmer

#36 Post by Yoghurt »

quork wrote:WARNING: You are using the SDL dummy video driver!
This is okay, and is actually issued by the serverpart: SDL has a design bug that prohibits using the event system (which the network part of FO uses) without initialising the video driver. As the normal video driver will not start without mouse or gui, and because a server should be able to run without these, the videodriver is changed to a dummy driver that does nothing except emitting this warning.
Can I improve the game speed somehow?
You will need hardware 3D acceleration for FO to run smoothly. The output of

Code: Select all

glxinfo
should say "Direct Rendering: yes"

Without direct rendering, FO is next to unplayable on my machine (Athlon XP 2000+, around 5 FPS)

quork
Krill Swarm

#37 Post by quork »

Yoghurt wrote:You will need hardware 3D acceleration for FO to run smoothly. The output of

Code: Select all

glxinfo
should say "Direct Rendering: yes"

Without direct rendering, FO is next to unplayable on my machine (Athlon XP 2000+, around 5 FPS)
Yes, that's it - new Mesa from debian testing has broken GLX support for my Radeon Mobility. The old one worked well :-( Maybe it's time to test ubuntu/xorg now on my laptop :-)

Yoghurt
Programmer

#38 Post by Yoghurt »

quork wrote:Yes, that's it - new Mesa from debian testing has broken GLX support for my Radeon Mobility.
Then report the bug to the BTS. bugs.debian.org tells you how (or use reportbug)

muxec
Space Kraken

#39 Post by muxec »

I guess that Gentoo port is not needed... It's from source anyway and those using it are hardcore linuxoids who can comiple everything with ease.

quork
Krill Swarm

#40 Post by quork »

Yoghurt wrote:
quork wrote:Yes, that's it - new Mesa from debian testing has broken GLX support for my Radeon Mobility.
Then report the bug to the BTS. bugs.debian.org tells you how (or use reportbug)
Upgrading to Xorg solved the problem. :-)