Questions about game play.

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

truepurple
Space Kraken

Re: Questions about game play.

#76 Post by truepurple »

LienRag wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:24 am
truepurple wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:50 pm Is there some circumstances where it's better to use a colonizer ship directly to colonize a world where others where I want to build a outpost and then convert it to a colony?

Is there a way to build Cultural Archives?
Yes. Mostly when you want to colonize out of Supply.

No.
Because it costs slightly less production to colonize with a outpost? When do you want to use a colonizer, just planets you can't connect? And maybe when you get the three pop upgrade?

So you can only ever build one Automated history analyzer, on your home world?

So I've looked around in the Pedia in game and the beginners guide, there is still a fair amount I don't understand about how stealth works.

So if one of your ships in a battle sees a stealthy unit, all the rest do too?

If a battle between fleets happen where some units are hidden, can the hidden units attack and remain hidden?

Can I set a ship to "control system", can I still benefit from its stealth?

Does Small camouflaged asteroid hull among asteroids hide better? Or is the bonus just to combat? Should I put a radar on it and put it among asteroids in enemy territory or a weapon on it?

Does automated aggression cause a ship to attack other ships if they have weapons, or if they don't have weapons?

Now about turn order:
If I move a asteroid ship into a system with a asteroid belt and some enemy ships, does it get a chance to hide in the asteroids before the enemy can see it?

If I attack some ships with shields in a storm that will take away their shield next turn, do they have their shields for that battle?

Is there a way to make a colony/outpost ship automatically colonize once it reaches its destination?

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#77 Post by LienRag »

truepurple wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:53 am Now about turn order:
If I move a asteroid ship into a system with a asteroid belt and some enemy ships, does it get a chance to hide in the asteroids before the enemy can see it?
No, effects in FreeOrion happen one turn after, that's not obvious (nor really justified in-game) but that's how it happens.
This also means that hiding Asteroid ships in Asteroid Fields allows you to ambush ships one jump away as it's only the turn after the jump that the ships lose their stealth.

truepurple
Space Kraken

#78 Post by truepurple »

Many of my previous questions remain.

Here is a new one. What is going on in this pic? I sent a powerful high level ship to deal with a monster with zero attack and low health. The monster remains turn after turn with no health loss, my ship slowly loses health, and then there is that weird red stuff around the number 3 which probably has something to do with all this, just no idea what. Also what's with that box around the monsters red dash? I've seen these boxes before but don't know what they signify.
Attachments
Selection_325.jpg
Selection_325.jpg (114.85 KiB) Viewed 1205 times

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#79 Post by Oberlus »

Can't see your ship stats.
Icon for it shows it's unarmed.
Is it a carrier with no guns that run out if fighters? Impossible since it is on your supply...

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#80 Post by LienRag »

The box shows that you selected the monster, if I understand your question.

The large krill swarm doesn't have guns/direct damage parts, but it has "fighters", so it's quite dangerous (depending on your ship design, which we can't see).

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#81 Post by LienRag »

The number 3 is the number of turns the Large Krill Swarm will take to get to next system if you stop blockading it.

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#82 Post by defaultuser »

LienRag wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:24 am
truepurple wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:50 pm Is there some circumstances where it's better to use a colonizer ship directly to colonize a world where others where I want to build a outpost and then convert it to a colony?
Yes. Mostly when you want to colonize out of Supply.
Another case is when you want to colonize rapidly after an event that will take time. Examples, the Honeycomb world or evacuating a world.

truepurple
Space Kraken

#83 Post by truepurple »

Oberlus wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:25 pm Can't see your ship stats.
Icon for it shows it's unarmed.
Is it a carrier with no guns that run out if fighters? Impossible since it is on your supply...
70 health and 44 (laser) attack. Could it show as "unarmed" because it already fired?
The Arc Disruptor, a multi-shot ship weapon which has good long-term upgrade research options.

Charged polaron capacitors generate a molecular disruption flux wave that arcs through space hitting several ships before dispersing. The disruption flux can be substantially deflected around ship shields.

Upgrading the weapon technology will increase the shot damage.

The weapon's Damage is a combination of the shot damage and any active modifiers. Piloting trait does not affect damage.

Shot Damage: 2
Shots per Attack: 3The Arc Disruptor, a multi-shot ship weapon which has good long-term upgrade research options.

Charged polaron capacitors generate a molecular disruption flux wave that arcs through space hitting several ships before dispersing. The disruption flux can be substantially deflected around ship shields.

Upgrading the weapon technology will increase the shot damage.

The weapon's Damage is a combination of the shot damage and any active modifiers. Piloting trait does not affect damage.
Shot Damage: 2
Shots per Attack: 3
What does it mean by "active modifiers"? Does "deflected around ship shields" Means it can be stopped by shields easier or goes through shields easier?

Can anyone please answer any of my other questions in post 76?

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#84 Post by Oberlus »

truepurple wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:17 am 70 health and 44 (laser) attack.

Could it show as "unarmed" because it already fired?
No.

Weapons have dmg that are multiples of 6. 44?
Show us your ship or the combat log.

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#85 Post by LienRag »

TruePurple, what's your detection value in this game ?

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#86 Post by wobbly »

truepurple wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:19 pm Also what's with that box around the monsters red dash? I've seen these boxes before but don't know what they signify.
The box means its blockaded by your ship. The game will say so if you move over it.

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#87 Post by LienRag »

wobbly wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:31 pm The box means its blockaded by your ship. The game will say so if you move over it.
Oh, so my earlier answer was wrong.
After so many games, I still learn things...

truepurple
Space Kraken

#88 Post by truepurple »

wobbly wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:31 pm
truepurple wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:19 pm Also what's with that box around the monsters red dash? I've seen these boxes before but don't know what they signify.
The box means its blockaded by your ship. The game will say so if you move over it.
So how is this working for blockading? How is my ship in another sector preventing this small krill swarm from moving? I have no such technology on my ship. And of course I've never been prevented from moving to attack enemies because of "blockade".

Middle far right, notice my ship with "impossible" 44 attack.
Selection_328.jpg
Selection_328.jpg (300.61 KiB) Viewed 1146 times
Also where does it say the maximum you can currently stockpile?

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#89 Post by Ophiuchus »

truepurple wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:59 pm So how is this working for blockading? How is my ship in another sector preventing this small krill swarm from moving?
There must be weapon on the ships in the system the monster is.
edit1: Could be a bug; the other explanation would be stealthed military ships of another empire.
truepurple wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:59 pm And of course I've never been prevented from moving to attack enemies because of "blockade".
? blockading enemy ships has the greatest strategic value.
truepurple wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:59 pm Middle far right, notice my ship with "impossible" 44 attack.
What does it say if you hover the mouse pointer over the 44? Please screenshot
truepurple wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:59 pm Also where does it say the maximum you can currently stockpile?
You can stockpile endlessly. The restricting factor is the extraction maximum (how much PP you can take out of the stockpile for use). That is shown in the topline (hover over it) and also in the production screen.
Last edited by Ophiuchus on Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

truepurple
Space Kraken

#90 Post by truepurple »

Various structures say they have an effect within a certain "uu", how do I determine how many "uu" anything is from anything else?