Seventeenth game on the multiplayer slow game server

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

Re: Seventeenth game on the multiplayer slow game server

#61 Post by LienRag »

Are you guys playing a test test game ?
I mean, do you plan to restart the game after you fixed bugs/saw that everything worked ?

I've been following the (very quiet) forum more and more distantly and didn't see the messages about the new game starting...

I was actually wondering if I would play a 24 h game as it took a heavy toll on my concentration in the previous games but 48 h I probably can play (if you don't mind me showing up no more than once every 48 hours).

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#62 Post by LienRag »

Oberlus wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:07 pm
The only think that really bugs me, but it is not important I think, is that it seems something I would put into a fleet toggle: it's about tactics in the battlefield, not about empire governance. But a toggle could be seen as micromanagement, I guess.
The Policy is not to have a fleet flank (or charge, don't know that Policy yet, what does it do ?) a particular enemy fleet in a particular fleet, but to have the admiralty and ship officers trained in that tactic.
So it is Empire military governance.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#63 Post by Oberlus »

LienRag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:13 pm I was actually wondering if I would play a 24 h game as it took a heavy toll on my concentration in the previous games but 48 h I probably can play (if you don't mind me showing up no more than once every 48 hours).
Currently we are playing between 1 and 4 turns a day. Going down to 0.5 turns a day wouldn't be that bad. But we are at turn 32, so you might have to wait a month or two.

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#64 Post by wobbly »

Opened my 2nd Social slot and took propaganda policy temporarily as it will pay itself off while I get the influence for what I really want. So:

Planetary infrastructure (opening the 2nd economic slot)
Colonial bootstrapping/Colonization/Design Simplicity + organic ships - That set should be self explanatory.
Industrialism - I wanted this before researching fusion/orbital generation for the research discount and arguably it meshes well with the above set.

Plan is to switch from industrialism to balance (liked by human/sslith) and from propaganda to liberty (liked by sslith). Need to wait for propaganda to work its magic and orbital generation to be researched.

I like the design on colonial bootstrapping, it got me to enough stability for NAI quickly and allowed me to stay above 10 for a while with humans on influence focus. Its worn off on my 1st colony but I still make 10 on humans with research/industry focus. My Sslith colony has another few rounds above 10, I suspect it will rise back over 10 with 2 liked policies.

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#65 Post by Ophiuchus »

I am working towards mind of the void.

Planetary Infrastructure (extra slot), Balance (good influence production), Bootstrap (see below)
Continuous Scanning (mostly for stability, liked by Sly)
Liberty (research and stability)

Bootstrap helps me to stay above 10 stability without liked-focus bonus (industry for Sly) for the full NascentAI and Liberty research bonus. I am at 9 "natural stability" (i.e. no liberty and no bootstrap effects) so if that runs out and i dont switch to industry, I guess it will pulse between 7.x and 9.x; that would cost me NAI 1RP and Liberty 2RP max, probably falling 2 points a turn; for <10 pop planets it should could regrow by 2 per turn (liberty); that should give me a net 1RP (as NAI wont kick in again). If I had 10 natural stability, it would net 2RP (full liberty bonus, stay at 8). If I had 12 natural stability, it would net 3RP (full NAI bonus, stay at 10).

So I am looking to increase stability further.

It would be great if I could "split off" a simulation with the currently client-known game-state to explore what exactly happens without recreating the situation in a separate game. Or different kind of simulation: manually add bonus effects to the current game-state for seeing what the effects would be expected to do.

Balance influence works a bit weird - adding an outpost (or colony or changing focus) can change the max rapidly, i think it cut it down by 4 or 3. And if you revert the change, it needs those 4 or 3 turns to grow again back (which over 4 turns is a loss of absolute 10IP).

I am thinking of species exchange (hello neighbors!!), so I am trying to wrap my head around the multi-planet/species policies (eco:COLONIALISM, eco:FEUDALISM eco:VASSALIZATION, soc:Native Appropiation soc:The Hunt). I dont have multiple gas giants in a system, so feudalism does not help. Vassalization would only boost influence, which is currently not an issue. The hunt brings stability and influence but is not compatible with liberty. Native Appropiation needs independent homeworlds which I probably wont get (but I could apply it anyway for a +2/+4 stability boost to Sly). Colonialism looks fine i guess (although industry of unowned planets is probably not high?) - would be nice to have a way to boost that.

UI-wise I need:
  • policy window: a sortable list view
  • research tree: show which technologies give extra policy slots.
  • research tree: Maybe hint what unlocked buildings/policies might provide (e.g. as much smaller icons or orbiting nodes in the tree).
  • encyclopedia: per policy slot type: all effects which might add a policy slot
  • encyclopedia/policy overlay: show unlock sources for the policy
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#66 Post by Ophiuchus »

JFYI regarding PLC_FLANKING

stationary flanking does not work in this revision.

But pincher move should wor (in flight with ETA1, coming in from at least two different starlanes(
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#67 Post by Ophiuchus »

Regarding mixing species, likes/dislikes and policies i am starting to run into restrictions.

Going along with my first idea for policies, species exchange will probably give me a very unhappy colony.

Maybe i will try vassalization in that case (maybe keep one planet as source for colony ships) although i am not sure. Maybe I would need to research xenological genetics for that to be worthwhile (and Sly dont profit from that)

.. just found that environmentalism does not work on gas giants which is really a let down

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#68 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Ophiuchus wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:32 pmenvironmentalism does not work on gas giants
Meaning they don't get a bonus for not having industry focus? Should they?

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#69 Post by Ophiuchus »

Geoff the Medio wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:30 pm
Ophiuchus wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:32 pmenvironmentalism does not work on gas giants
Meaning they don't get a bonus for not having industry focus? Should they?
Yes. I think they should.

If environmentalism is strictly tied to terraforming then it makes sense that it doesn't work - you can't terraform the gas giant.

OTOH for a Sly empire this already sucks a lot (no profit from terraforming), so I think it would be good if Sly could profit from the tech at least through the policy.

From balancing I think they could use some buff (gas giant generators are the worst, only access to medium planets until late game..)
I have to try disconnected empire though. It may be that having federation early is really good.

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#70 Post by wobbly »

Due to a completely unprovoked attack on one of our war vessels by the fake humans' scout, the galaxy has been plunged into war. Shame on you Silent One, shame on you.

The Silent One
Graphics

#71 Post by The Silent One »

You'll pay for that!

On one of the next games when I know better how the new game mechanics work. ;)
If I provided any images, code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#72 Post by Oberlus »

Got already the three social slots, currently only using two for Propaganda and Liberty.
My current aim is at reaching 300 IP to get the last infrastructure policy.
I've been using Liberty (-2 stability, +2 RP when stability>8 before stability malus) and Industrialism (+2 stabiliy if industry-focused, +25% PP). Abaddoni dislike Liberty (-4 stability), but their Good Stability (+5 in this version) compensates.
To keep the bonus in the planets where distance to Capital was too high, without being forced to stick to the Industry focus (low yield, more urgent extra IP), I micromanaged the foci: few turns industry-focused until stability maxes out, few turns influence-focused until the turn before bonus from Liberty begins to fade off. I think I'd like that this foci dancing wasn't possible, maybe taking as the threshold for the bonuses the target stability value? But that seems bad on itself...

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#73 Post by wobbly »

I'm not a fan of the new 4 bout damage display on ships. I think this adds extra confusion when dealing with shielded ships.

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#74 Post by wobbly »

Temporarily switched from colonization to propaganda broadcasts while researching nanotech medicine then switched to population. Seems a natural enough follow on. Now that I no longer have propaganda myself I get -1 influence (+1 from o01eg allied propaganda, -1 from oberlus war propaganda, -1 for thesilentone war propaganda). Not sure if the stacking is intended or not.

Egassem colonies are going to be tricky. They like design simplicity, which should keep it in positive territory. They like marine recruitment which I'll probably take when I get a 2nd military slot and they like algorithmic research which I'll possibly take when I get a 3rd social slot. They also like probiotic soup which I'll eventually have, its just got a maintenance ship parked on it. They also get +1 if they share a system with another artistic species, so either my humans or my sliths. 1st will go on a small inferno close in to the capital sharing a system with humans so I can take a closer look at what stability I reach.

The artistic stability bonus is either bugged or the description is bugged. "Likes influence-focused artistic species in system" +1 stability. You actually get the bonus no matter what the focus is.

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#75 Post by Ophiuchus »

wobbly wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:00 am I'm not a fan of the new 4 bout damage display on ships. I think this adds extra confusion when dealing with shielded ships.
Would an average per bout damage be more helpful? There are weapons which only shoot two bouts or three bouts as well.