Anyone else use armed scouts?

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

Anyone else use armed scouts?

#1 Post by wobbly »

A curiosity question, as I've never seen anyone else use them in multiplayer.

Personally I like to have a couple of mass driver symbiot scouts which I use as 99% scout and 1% -vette, and will occasionally build an armed robo-scout as an auxilary. e.g. a sensor for detection and fighters for a basic anti-fighter role.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

Re: Anyone else use armed scouts?

#2 Post by Oberlus »

It never occured to me. I always used them to explore systems, and sooner or later they are killed by a monster or enemy. Since the weapon can be considerably more expensive than the hull, I won't do it. Then I saw you bringing nightmares to other players by killing a colony ship in the place and moment when one would never expect it and thought "hmmm!".

Ophiuchus
Programmer

Re: Anyone else use armed scouts?

#3 Post by Ophiuchus »

I do not really have a combat role for armed scouts. For exploration they are not useful.

The combat role of my scouts is to soak up damage.
I often bring an extra scout to combat. Symbiotic or asteroid scouts are good structure/PP.

I also have a role for fast corvettes/frigates in order to clean up monster spawns or delay the enemies progress.

So the niche for armed scouts besides the "enemy saying: oh its just a scout, i ignore it" is when low armor and a single mass driver is enough to fulfill the killing part and it is too expensive to add an extra scout.

I have a role of symbiotic "disruptors" frigates but the main point is that they are hidden (a sensor part on these can make sense).
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!