General 0.3 Discussion

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#46 Post by Geoff the Medio »

IvanS77 wrote:Hi all! Well, this my first post. I'm download and install FO-0.3, then run it. I found 2 bugs and i can't posted it from Sourceforge! Can you help me? How i can make it? Where i can posted screenshort from first bug?
And who know - how i can move the fleet ? I'm read FAQ for 0.3 from Wiki - but i can't move fleet. :?:
Fleets are moved with the right mouse button, as discussed on the Quick Play Guide.

Why can't you post bugs to sourceforge? Just click the "Submit New" link.

Screenshots can be attached to bug reports if the file is small enough. If not, you'll need to get some image hosting space (not provided by the FreeOrion project) and link to the file. There are various sites around, so search google for "image hosting" or somesuch.

liberal
Space Krill

#47 Post by liberal »

just a little note, i hope you will change the descriptions on techs. buildings etc =P

its hard to a gamer to understand the effect-language of the techs =P

if i had the game here in school i would've posted one of the nightmare examples, took me loooong to figure out what it did (think it was monolith)
ofc, this could just be my having a not-so-great intellect ^^

Geoff the Medio

#48 Post by Geoff the Medio »

liberal wrote:just a little note, i hope you will change the descriptions on techs. buildings etc =P
Do you mean the descriptions of what the effects of a building or tech are, like:
Effects group 1:
Objects affected: Any object that contains an object that is thet source object
Effect is active if the source is an object that has a current construction between 30 and 999
Max population +1
Max trade +1
And so on...

Or do you mean the fluff descriptions, like:
A marvel of Exodus-era Architecture, the Megalith is an abnormally massive Starscraper, kilometers in diameter. The Megalith is an inspiration to architects sector-wide and is often the crown jewel of a powerful real estate mogul's empire.
The former are autogenerated and temporary. When I wrote or rewrote most of the techs, there was no way to manually write any descriptions of what effects did. This has sort of been added now, though not in a very satisfactory way (due to how effects groups are implemented really). Long term, it's not intended that the stuff seen in the first quote should appear to players in-game, unless there is no other description available.

liberal
Space Krill

#49 Post by liberal »

i mean the autogenerated ones. the others are afai seen brilliant

Trekker
Space Krill

#50 Post by Trekker »

the others are afai seen brilliant
Except for the spelling and syntax errors :twisted:

Geoff the Medio

#51 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Trekker wrote:
the others are afai seen brilliant
Except for the spelling and syntax errors :twisted:
Could you be more specific? Which descriptions have spelling and "syntax" errors?

Trekker
Space Krill

#52 Post by Trekker »

Could you be more specific? Which descriptions have spelling and "syntax" errors?
Uhhm, I'll have to go through them all again. I'll do it when I find the time.
I'll just edit this message, as I find them:
Planetary Geology: ... volume of a planet ...
Nanotech Production: ... its outer layers may prevent ...
Genetic Engineering: ... by altering the base codes ... or ... by writing alterations to the base codes...
Genetic Medicine: Similar ... as well. - This doesn't sound right. ... The goals of these ...
Interstellar Co-Production: ... only a few parts or subsystems, and ... or ... only a subsystem or a few parts, and ...
Theory of Everything: ... strong and weak nuclear forces ...
Controlled Gravity Architecture: By fully controlling ...
Structual Integrity Fields: ... such methods may allow ...
Stabilized Hypergrowth :) : ... Occasional bursts of ...
Economic Prescience: ... can be employed to reveal ...
Force-Energy Structures: ... as solid surfaces ...
Economic Hegemony: ... economies may be completely ...

Trekker
Space Krill

#53 Post by Trekker »

That's it for now. I found lots of punctiation errors as well, but as english isn't my first language, and I'm not perfect with it in danish either, I won't try to correct those. I'll just point out, that someone with great grammar-skills should read through it.

Geoff the Medio

#54 Post by Geoff the Medio »

I made those changes on the wiki version. They should find their way into the game eventually... possibly not until some significant changes to the game content happen though.